Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

If Schroeder doesn't play a game this season, Will he request to be traded?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#31 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

He's too young for that, still

#32 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I know I would. This organization expects everyone to just stay in the minors until their 26.
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#33 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Actually...

1. Hodgson pretty much did seize his chance to stay with the team last year as a second line centre. His trade had more to do with his relationship with the team than his ability on ice.

2. Grabber still scored 30+ goals that year on NYi didn't he? O don't use the bottom feeder as an excuse. He was the top 3 +/- on NYi for two straight year. The important thing is that he did perform when given the chance.

Some players will only perform and develop in a real gaming environment. Burying prospects in minor for years is NOT an ideal practice for EVERY players. Some of them would need to given a chance in order to succeed.

He went from a +13 to a -18 the next season
Posted Image

#34 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Actually...

1. Hodgson pretty much did seize his chance to stay with the team last year as a second line centre. His trade had more to do with his relationship with the team than his ability on ice.

2. Grabber still scored 30+ goals that year on NYi didn't he? O don't use the bottom feeder as an excuse. He was the top 3 +/- on NYi for two straight year. The important thing is that he did perform when given the chance.

Some players will only perform and develop in a real gaming environment. Burying prospects in minor for years is NOT an ideal practice for EVERY players. Some of them would need to given a chance in order to succeed.

Michael Grabner led the NYI in +/- his first year, but was 22nd his second year there.

It appears he had one outstanding year which many look to as if it were some sort of predictor of his future, but his NHL stats actually show a decline (as small as they are).

11 points in 20 games, and a +2 for us in 09-10
Then he bounced the league, got picked up on waivers by NY and realized he had to play for his life. So, yes, he put in a good (actually, really good) season.
52 points in 76 games and a +13
Then what?
Down to 32 points in 78 games, goals dropped from 30 to 20, and his +/- dropped to -18

Sounds like a lack of consistency, the very thing that got him traded, and put on waivers.

Just my opinion, and the facts, so no, he wasn't "top 3 +/- for two years", and, no, he didn't perform when given the chance, at least not last year.
Sig too big.

#35 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Actually...

How do you figure?

Grabner was a -18 last season

Here's his stats:

Posted Image

Doesn't speak much for a player that is apparently getting better and better. As I posted earlier, this year will be his make or break year. Another drop in production this season and he could easily find himself on waivers again.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 19 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

qrak1x.jpg

#36 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Are you Jordan Schroeder?

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#37 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

He definitely should

#38 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Funny that suddenly the +/- is everything when talking of Grabner now that his most recent season is -18 (on one of the crappiest team with the worst goaltending). I'm sure if (name deleted) was a fan of someone with -18, you wouldn't hear about it, as it wouldn't be beneficial to his arguement.

Bottom line is Grabner is a bonafied NHLer and MG let him go, with a 1st rounder and a plug for a $4mil Dman who has never found his niche in Van thanks to AV.

Back on topic, JS will get his chances. His spirit will need to be incredibly noble, though,in order to override his shortcomings.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 19 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#39 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Funny that suddenly the +/- is everything when talking of Grabner now that his most recent season is -18 (on one of the crappiest team with the worst goaltending). I'm sure if (name deleted) was a fan of someone with -18, you wouldn't hear about it, as it wouldn't be beneficial to his arguement.

Bottom line is Grabner is a bonafied NHLer and MG let him go, with a 1st rounder and a plug for a $4mil Dman who has never found his niche in Van thanks to AV.

They had one of the crappiest teams and the worst goaltending the season before as well. Fact is his production dropped across the board last year. Another drop like that this year and he will be far from a "bonafied NHLer"

qrak1x.jpg

#40 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't follow the NYI very much so I don't know what circumstances may have contributed to his +/-.

I think we can all agree that judging a player based on +/- is pure folly, though. Unless it's extreme one way or the other.

#41 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Back on topic, JS will get his chances. His spirit will need to be incredibly noble, though,in order to override his shortcomings.

The +/- isn't everything, but the poster that claimed Grabner was top 3 two years in a row was wrong. He simply wasn't.

And, to say that 32 points is a "bonafied" NHL player is giving 32 points a lot of credit. Especially a player playing in a top 6 role. Grabner at -18 certainly shows no abilities as checking line player, or 4th line crasher, so top 6 it is. I'd be wanting a little more than 32 points from my $3M player
Sig too big.

#42 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Schroeder will play multiple games with the Canucks this year so this thread is done.

#43 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

And who's going to take him? Florida?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#44 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

isn't it hilarious how the montreal canadians do it for years and they're geniuses, the redwings do it for years and they're geniuses.. but the second the canucks shelter young players, they're ruining prospects and running them out of town lol

#45 deedz

deedz

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

i might be blind, but Schroeder isn't on the Wolves or the Canucks roster :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

PANIC!!!

#46 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

course not , guys still young as hell and by monday morning he might even be called up if one center goes down

we need him depth wise this season , even if hes never played a game , think about it

players are going to go down , and the team knows it

thats why gillis said that he expects Schroeder to come up this year

Edited by cIutch, 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I don't follow the NYI very much so I don't know what circumstances may have contributed to his +/-.

I think we can all agree that judging a player based on +/- is pure folly, though. Unless it's extreme one way or the other.

+13 to -18 is pretty extreme, no?

But I do agree about judging a player on +/- alone. It's his goal production related to his shot production that I noticed the most.

qrak1x.jpg

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

He will be back up, just salary cap reasons, he clearly played well enough to earn a shot, and AV liked what he saw.

I will start to get worried if he goes 2-3 weeks without a call up, but I expect him to be called up sometime next week honestly, unless Ebbett scores in every game & plays exceptional or something.

Edit: I don't think he would request a trade anyways, the guy is loaded with character IMO, and he has worked very hard for a long time. I don't see any issues like there was with Cody.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 19 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

zackass.png

#49 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

course not , guys still young as hell and by monday morning he might even be called up if one center goes down

we need him depth wise this season , even if hes never played a game , think about it

players are going to go down , and the team knows it

thats why gillis said that he expects Schroeder to come up this year

Schroeder, do we really want him?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#50 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

not when you know who the player is and have seen him play before , hes a fast guy but he never backchecks , thats why his plus minus is terrible , would even be worse if he didnt finally start hitting the net unlike in van
Posted Image

#51 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not really.
Posted Image

#52 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

He's an RFA this summer. I'm unsure of the rules under the CBA about the status of ELC players who don't play in the NHL. But if they don't bring him in this year I can't see them qualifying him.

#53 OmgOmgOm_g

OmgOmgOm_g

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Schroeder was sent down because the Canucks would've been over the 23-man roster limit. Schroeder was the only player that was elligible to be sent down without having to pass through waivers. He'll obviously get some starting time soon. Simple as that.
made you look

#54 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

OP hit the nail on the head. The Canucks have been absolutely abysmal when it comes to letting their "valued" prospects have a chance to show their worth in the NHL. We saw it with Grabner, we saw it with Hodgson, we're seeing it now with Sauve and Connaughton. Even if you look further back you see how the Sedins were always given much less icetime as youngsters than their stats suggested they should get. If Cory Schneider weren't such an incredibly patient, team-player type of guy would he have wanted out after being forced to play 2nd fiddle for 2 years to a guy he was clearly outperforming?
I get that the Canucks are a deep team and that they have other options that help them win "now", but if we don't throw a few games at these kids once in a while how long can we expect them to stick around? Its also good for their development to see what the NHL game is all about. There are other deep teams in this league that are giving their youngsters a look and reaping the rewards from it as well. The Canucks on the other hand are looking at having a ridiculously bad team once thise core group retires because we've alienated all our prospects.

#55 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,461 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

He'll stick it out, he's bound to get a chance when Henrik retires in 4-5 years.
But by that point Gaunce might already be ahead of him.

#56 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Younger players coming up often hit a ceiling with the organization which drafted them.

Look at Pittsburg. Are they bad managers of their assets because Staal asked to be traded because he saw that he wasn't going to be anything more than a 3C in their organization?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#57 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Edit: I don't think he would request a trade anyways, the guy is loaded with character IMO, and he has worked very hard for a long time. I don't see any issues like there was with Cody.

Just can't help yourself,can you?

#58 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Just can't help yourself,can you?

I wasn't trying to slam Cody, and I don't mean issues as in him not wanting to be here, I meant issues as in AV calling him out, exc. AV seems to have confidence in JS honestly.

zackass.png

#59 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

The +/- isn't everything, but the poster that claimed Grabner was top 3 two years in a row was wrong. He simply wasn't.

And, to say that 32 points is a "bonafied" NHL player is giving 32 points a lot of credit. Especially a player playing in a top 6 role. Grabner at -18 certainly shows no abilities as checking line player, or 4th line crasher, so top 6 it is. I'd be wanting a little more than 32 points from my $3M player

My bad. Was meant to type that year and somehow I typed two years.....

Anyway I won't argue his performance last season, but I m still confident that he could get out of his slump this season.

#60 KB_3

KB_3

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I wish we would of played him insted of ebbet.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.