The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watching the Canucks in Calgary - NHL Center Ice

miles2025

Hi,

I just moved to Calgary and obviously want to watch Canucks games, so I ordered centre ice. However, I just checked my TV listings and the next three Canucks games not broadcast nationally or in Alberta (Jan 25 vs ANA, Jan 27 vs SJS, & Jan 30 vs COL) are not showing up as being broadcast on Centre Ice. Yes, other NHL games are showing up.

I just spoke to Shaw (about something different) and the girl kept running back to talk to her supervisor so I'm not going to bother trying to call them back.

Is there anybody in Calgary who (last season) ordered Centre Ice? How many Canucks games do you get?

Yeah, that's why I ordered Centre Ice. But this is my first time ordering it, and I don't really know any rules surrounding blackouts, so I'm curious as to what the experience has been for other Canucks Fans in Calgary.

Maybe the games will show up after all, but if they're not, I'm going to try and cancel my subscription to get my money back. When you combine nationally broadcast games, VAN/CAL games, and VAN/EDM games broadcast in Calgary, I'm getting about half the season for free anyways

The three games I referred to in the original post are being broadcast on Sportsnet Pacific only, which is why I think they should be on Centre Ice. But when I check the guide on my TV and scroll over to those days, they don't show up.

VanCityNuck, did you order Centre Ice again this season? If so, are you able to look ahead and see if those three games are being broadcast?

I also live in Alberta, and have had Center Ice for at least 8 years now. I am not sure exactly how long as since I moved here I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. As someone mentioned above, the only games you will not get are games broadcast on TSN or CBC. Also any games against the Oilers or Flames you will have to watch the Sportsnet West feed instead of on Center ice, which unfortunately for those games means you will have to listen to the Flames or Oilers broadcast crew which is brutal and painful. It should give you a better appreciation for our crew.I have watched all 82 Canucks games a year for several years now, so you won't miss any games.

I used to live in Calgary, I almost bought Centre ice until I found out that I needed HD, and I didnt have an HD box where I was living...that was the worst thing about living in Alberta, is not being able to see the Canucks on an every day basis! Ugh. If the games are played Nationally (CBC) it wont be on Centre Ice. Same if its on Sportsnet West. Thus it will be be "blacked out".

Go Canucks Go!

Im a Vancouverite living in Cowtown as well. I've been here for two years now and have had the Center Ice package for the last year trying to do the streaming computer thing for half a season when I moved here. Its kinda a rip off, but Bettman has you by the balls if you dont want to miss a game.

THE WORST :angry: PART is when the Flames are playing on local channels you have NO CHOICE :sick: but to listen to the Flames commentators......... :picard:

I would think, for the price I pay a month I would have a choice to watch either feed. You can see the channel listed in the center ice channels, but Bettman is so cheap that he will black you out for those games just cause.

I've been living in Calgary for almost 5 years from BC ... If your watching Canucks games on Sportsnet West, what I do is watch the game but put the TV on mute and run the TEAM 1040 stream on your computer to hear better commentary. It's not perfect but definitely way better than listening to commentary from Sportsnet West. Just a thought ...

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should be fine, as I'd hoped/expected.

Masutheakita, Centre Ice is only ~$50 for this season and is available anywhere in the States (depends on your cable provider though)...if you're a big fan then maybe give it a shot!

Archived