The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremy Jacobs takes a shot at NHLPA

Jacobs, regarded as one of the most militant hard-line owners driving the lockout, appeared to blame the union for a deal not getting done sooner, saying it "should've and could've" been resolved quicker and characterized it as "disappointing."

Of the union, Jacobs said: "There was no expression of a desire to do a deal."

When asked to elaborate how a deal could have been brokered earlier -- the labor standoff lasted almost four months before an agreement was reached earlier this month -- Jacobs deflected blame onto the NHLPA.

"You'd really have to ask the other side on that," he said.

When asked if he felt that it was fair to say he blamed the union for the time lost as a result of the work stoppage, Jacobs declined to answer.

"I won't comment on that," he said.

It was an odd display for an owner who claimed to be enthused about the start of play and intent on "winning another Stanley Cup for Boston, New England and Bruins fans around the world."

Jacobs praised his partner in the process, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, for his work on the deal and touted his leadership in reaching the 10-year agreement.

Jacobs admitted that, before the marathon session that ultimately ended the standoff, there was a legitimate fear among the owners that the season could have been scrapped entirely.

"If it hadn't happened when it did, the season would've been gone," he said.

Jacobs insisted that, as owner of a financially-strong, recent Cup-winning franchise, he had no intention of ever axing the season.

"I'm the last guy that wanted to shut this down," he said.

How did he feel he was characterized throughout the negotiation process?

"Being vilified, I don't think it's right, but what's my opinion in something like this?" he asked.

Jeremy Jacobs is the true power in the NHL....Bettman dances to his tune and if anyone needs a portion of blame for how all of this went down it is probably the chairman of the board.

That being said, both sides seemed like they were playing hardball and something tells me if they'd have just cut to the chase in the beginning the League and the players wouldn't have had to sacrifice half the season this year (along with millions and millions of revenue).

This windbag needs to go away. The league handed his team the cup by choosing not to enforce the rules in the Stanley Cup finals. His buddy, Colin Campbell's son, wanted a cup too.

So of course CC steps aside and Shanahan, who's lost all credibility, steps in and throws the book at Rome and Torres for what amounts to hockey plays gone wrong.

All the while letting some little d-bag run around cheap shotting star players witout even a little warning, let alone a slap on the wrist.

But of course he was just protecting himself from Salo, a known ruffian....on and on...

The owners lockedout the players and forced their hand with the most ridiculous first offer ever seen, and that's the nhlpa's fault.

This guy needs to shutup.

Fans are sick to death with all that cba baloney and along comes Jacob to drag it into the light of day again. What a goof!

What an idiot.. Every fan GM and owner is trying their best to move on and enjoy hockey again and he's trying to shift the focus to "hate the union, lockout was their fault".. It's pretty clear that the bruins are just his little prize and he doesn't give 2 fracks about the game of hockey or its fans.

I would give Bettman the biggest applause ever if he deemed this as unacceptable and fined Jacobs for his comments. It's over and done with and nobody should be piping up in the media and attacking the other side. As a fan that was pissed off for 4 months, I'm being pretty damn good about putting the lockout behind me and forgetting about it. Why he can't just shut up and appreciate that is beyond me.

Archived