The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT - Canucks 2 Ducks 7

cmpunk

Let the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth commence! It is Canucks hockey!

They will start Schneider again tomorrow to get him back on the horse. It will be entertaining if he takes a while to find his game, all the forums and sports shows will be full of the "keep Luongo" hordes.

Umm...

Did anyone notice the following

1. Its game 1 with no preseason (all in the same boat so i get you taking that latter bit away)

2. We have alot of new players (our second line is brand new and full of guys who really shouldn't be there)

3. Its game 1

4. Toronto won

5. So toronto is going 45-0 and we're going 0-45 lets start rioting

6. Lets trade Schnieder, keep Lou, and get rid of Kesler he was invisible - oh he didn't play?

Have to say, this is why the rest of the league hates van fans, because the panicking idiots, are just that, idiots

Aaron Volpatti one of the bright spots.

Alex Edler - 21:04

Jason Garrison - 20:53

Dan Hamhuis - 20:27

Kevin Bieksa - 20:24

Keith Ballard - 18:50

Chris Tanev - 18:22

^ I would like to see that throughout the season.

So let me get this straight, we were forced to suck it for 4 months while these morons fought with each other. Then we finally get hockey back and have Sedin tell us at the start of the game that their gonna give us a season to remember?.........yeah it really looked like it out there ?! :blink:

Yeah i KNOW it's only the first game but someone should have told the Ducks that because they looked like they've been playing for months now?

Well this was the definition of ugly.

The thing that concerned me the most, with it without a healthy Kes and Booth (certainly doesn't help that they're hurt) was the slow starts this team seemingly always gets off to every single year. In a short season it scares the daylights outta me. Anyway...

Rarely will you hear this from me, but...

Only 1 game and no big deal. Gotta get some defensive breakdowns fixed ASAP and things should settle down back there and in net.

Lets all hope for better tomorrow night.

I was at the game. Volpatti did play really well. Hell, the 4th line seemed to be the only line to really play all that well. Defense sucked. Edler and Garrison seem to have communication issues. No idea what to say about Schneider's meltdown. Okay, other than WTF?!? Luongo was given some well needed love. That made my heart happy. The rest. Just, Uggggggh.

Umm...

Did anyone notice the following

1. Its game 1 with no preseason (all in the same boat so i get you taking that latter bit away)

2. We have alot of new players (our second line is brand new and full of guys who really shouldn't be there)

3. Its game 1

4. Toronto won

5. So toronto is going 45-0 and we're going 0-45 lets start rioting

6. Lets trade Schnieder, keep Lou, and get rid of Kesler he was invisible - oh he didn't play?

Have to say, this is why the rest of the league hates van fans, because the panicking idiots, are just that, idiots

Hate to say it but I told you so. Schneider finally gets a chance to play as a starter, he gets the pressure of a full-time starter on his shoulders and absolutely stinks it up and costs this team the game when we had the lead. On the flipside, Luongo played with no pressure on his back and despite far more odd-man rushes against and opportunities he shined, made so many more huge saves than Schneider did. Pressure is everything and Schneider couldn't handle it tonight. Personally I don't think we have enough time for Schneider to learn how to deal with it - AV needs to go with whoever's better.

As for the rest of the team, Weise was our best player which says a lot about a team. The Sedins were spectacular and although their passes and timing was a bit off, they put up points and kept the pressure up. Great powerplay movement. As for Burrows, he was invisible and hurt the Sedins rushes a few times by being held up or losing the puck. Give him a couple more chances before replacing him on the top line because there's a couple of players who deserve that spot more than Burrows after tonight.

Second line was abyssmal, Andrew Ebbett was IMO our worst player. Tiny guy got pushed around a lot and didn't generate any offence at all. Raymond was dissapointing and nothing like himself in the scrimages. He didn't get to the inside of the ice at all, kept to the perimeter just as he usually does. Kassian on the otherhand was great. He showed he has some nice hands and his huge body couldn't be pushed around tonight and was very noticeable. A team low 11 minutes is unfair for this guy, he needs a better shot with better linemates.

Our 3rd line played a lot better than our 2nd, but according to ice time Lappy's line is the 2nd. Lapierre and Higgins were good (not great) but was noticeable and hard working as ever but Hansen was amazing. Obviously did some great work on the powerplays but he really shined 5-on-5 and hounded the puck faster than anyone else. 2 very well deserved assists. This guy is, as I have mentioned a few times, one of the best rounded out Canucks and deserves a better shot. 19 minutes though is great for him.

The 4th line was great, although Malhotra was a bit invisible. Volpatti not only had a number of huge hits but has surprisingly nice hands and created some offence off great cycles and grinds down low against the boards. Weise was spectacular, he's definately developed some offensive flair playing in Europe and has some fast wheels too. This guy could easily break out, a well deserved 14 minutes.

Edler-Garrison were ok but Edler was shaky at best. Sure he contributed to 2 goals for but cost us at least 3 due to poor defensive plays and stumbles. A couple of poor gambles lead directly to goals against. This guy clearly needs a veteran partner like Salo to calm him down, so lets hope Eddy can get used to Garrison quickly, develop some trust in him and play a more stable game.

Hamhuis-Bieksa were great, Bieksa jumping up in the rush a lot more than usual and looked like a forward for the most part. Both of these guys were pretty solid except for a couple of stupid pinches but compared to the rest of the defence they weren't too bad individually. Nice offence once again and a lot of great shots.

Ballard-Tanev were solid, especially Tanev who had a very strong game. Good defence on odd-man rushes by him, as opposed to Ballard who was a bit invisible (good thing for a defenceman).

Like I said Schneider obviously felt the pressure of a starter and crumbled which is disappointing. He deserves to start against Edmonton but if he costs us that game his reign as starter is finished. Luongo is playing far better, stopped far harder shots and is far more deserving of a starting position than that kid.

I was at the game, and being at the game really lets me concentrate on certain players...

- Ebbett was ???? horrible. All he really did was skate around and fall down

- Raymond went back to his old ways of cutting wide, stopping, turning around and falling

- Garrison is a really really good powerplay quarterback. That jump save he made made everyone go nuts. Good instincts

- Bieksa looked a bit lazy...

- Sedins were the Sedins

- Schneider was meh. Luongo was slightly less meh.

- Edler gets caught flat footed quite a bit.

- Tanev looked really strong

- Volpatti and Weise were good 4th line checkers, Malhotra was sub par tbh

The $1 hotdogs were amazing though. I had 5 of them, nachos and a free Dr. Pepper

B)

I have no idea what AV's issue with Kassian is, or how on earth he ended up with so few minutes when he was the only player on the "2nd Line" of who didn't look like absolute trash. Ebbett is not any more than a 13th forward in the NHL and I think we saw that tonight. I'd like the see Schroeder get a chance (and Kassian get more minutes), but I don't know if AV will let that happen or if it would be the answer. Pretty much just a personal preference. Andrew Ebbett won't do on the long term though, or even as a band-aid solution until Kesler is back. He just doesn't have a top six skill set, but I think most of us expected that.

Trying to look at the positives, Weise and Volpatti looked amazing on the fourth line. They had energy, weren't afraid to hit, and almost made some really good plays! Unfortunately, Malholtra did not look good in between them. That line would look better with Lapierre, or someone more energetic and physical as the center. I was pleasantly surprised by both 32 and 15 though! :)

The Sedins looked good as usual, though the jump in their game isn't quite here yet. I'm sure that will come as they get their legs under them. The Canucks are generally a slow starting team as is, but it makes it even harder without pre-season.

Garrison and Edler showed promise together. Jason looked nervous at times, but it is his first time playing for the team he grew up cheering for. That's got to do a number on your nerves. I look forward to seeing these two playing together as the year progresses.

I actually thought Ballard looked really good tonight. Plays a very under the radar style.

The goaltending is what it is, they'll get better. People shouldn't give up on Schneider after one bad game, and let's face it, the team just didn't play as good as they should either. I think AV said it best when he said "we can only get better".

Archived