The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT - Canucks 2 Ducks 7

cmpunk

When I seen who the 'Nucks were opening the season against I kind of had an inkling something like this may happen.

Anaheim is a team Vancouver has trouble playing against..much like St. Louis, LA and Boston...what is the consistent thing between these 3 clubs? All are big strong teams that have a nasty edge to them when needed. With the Canucks being a 'one line team' at the moment this makes it an even bigger problem.

As for the team itself...offense was uninspired, defense was pretty weak overall and goaltending was sub par. Pretty much what I expected from a traditionally slow starting Vancouver franchise. Let's hope for better things against the Oil.

our team; especially defence are notoriously slow starters.

i cant believe everyone is surprised by this result/performance. on top of everything, very few of our players have been playing during the lockout (in comparison to other teams locked out players)

expect a very slow start in Vancouver.( that wont be all that bad if we can peak during the playoffs)

Everyone has highlighted the band things in a million threads from last night, so I thought I would talk about a few good things that came out of the first game, despite a 7-3 loss.

1. Garrison looked good on the PP. Good shot and creative positioning without the puck.

2. Kassian was strong on the puck, winning races and skating well.

3. Daniel Sedin had 2 points.

4. Edler had 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots and 1 hit in his first game after signing a huge contract.

5. Mike Gillis actually came out to thank the fans, many GMs in big (and crazy) markets would never do that.

6. Dale Weise. Come on, he looked awesome, despite having no finish... He had 4 hits and 1 shot. Was skating very well.

7. Hansen looked good with the Sedins on the PP, many people often question his ability to keep an offensive play going, but he did well after 1 game.

8. Aaron Volpatti threw some decent hits, indicating his injury did not make him too soft.

9. Manny continued to show good faceoff abilities, winning 60 percent (9/15).

10. Tanev looked as composed as ever, not "fragile" as one of the commentators kept saying about the Canucks. Awesome to have such a reliable (young) guy back there.

I hope the good things are built on and the Canucks can beat the Oilers, who are not as physically dominating as the Ducks, but have many highly-skilled players who are young, fast, excited and have played hockey already this year. Go Canucks!

I didn't think zack had a strong game, ok for a 4th line but most shifts he looked lost. Thought he had two ok shifts.

I've seen a few posts that people thought he looked good, not sure what they saw that justifies a second line spot. Weise looked good in all of his shifts.

Gotta love coming in here after one game to see the words "doomed", "over", etc.

Honestly, I think the turning point was a dirty cross check by Lydman on Burr into the boards at the start of the second. Of course, it got missed but then a minute later or so, Burr ends up in the box. That was at 3-2 and it unraveled after that. Frustrating.

I'm not assessing things on this one, "welcome back" game full of hype and distraction. Guys'll be fine. Liked Volpatti's grit and physicality out there. Hope our crowd doesn't react to the whole Lu/Schneids thing like each and every moment tells a story. There are reasons for having two goaltenders and, at times, you use them both in a game...until we ship one out, that's a plus for us (having both). Was happy for Lu that he got the ovation he did - if only to send him off on a note of positivity. Schneids'll be fine...our goaltenders are put under glaring scrutiny but the team in front of them has to do their part too. Some of the goals were bad (unscreened), but let's call that a shaking out of the cobwebs reality check game. Glad we have another today, to set things straight.

Schneider was terrible but I'm sure he'll bounceback. Ebbett is a role player not a second line centre. All in all the effort was a little uninspired and the play was sloppy. We're missing a few key pieces.

It's not like they haven't had the odd poor game in the last two President Cup winning seasons. Home against Chicago, on the road in Minnesota. There was a lot of focus on tonight so it just feels bigger than it is.

Everyone step back from the cliff.

As someone who hates the Ducks with a passion, I have to say "Well, that sucked."

I'm also concerned about the next game because not only have Edmonton's core players kept playing, they've been playing together during the lockout. If the Nucks play the same way they did last night, they won't be able to stop the hotshots and goals will get through. It won't be fun.

I do think that after the Edmonton game we'll see a turnaround. They'll be able to get real practices in after the games so they'll be better able to adjust.

In the meantime the focus has to be defense. Scoring will come but a 0%PK (yes I know it's just one game, but still a 0%PK) is a huge problem. I do think both Schneids and Lu will be better going forward, but the D has to step up and play better. Baby steps, I think if they can kill off their first penalty tonight against Edmonton then things could look good. But it's getting that first successful kill that's going to be the trick.

Archived