187 replies to this topic

#151 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Annoys me when people make excuses about sloppiness. It was the same lay off for both teams. This is where it comes down to AV and his coaches. Got to be prepared to play in this league.

Hard to prepare in a total of what 6 days? Not a whole lot you can do, especially when 2 key forwards are missing.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#152 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hard to prepare in a total of what 6 days? Not a whole lot you can do, especially when 2 key forwards are missing.

Once again the other team only had six days to prepare too.

#153 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

Not much mention of Hamuis....he was on "D" for 4 of the 7 goals and bad memories....he clutzied the puck last year and we got eliminated...he's a joke..

#154 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

kassian laid a few hits but honestly hes on the 2nd line ------> i really miss hodgson WORST TRade gillis has ever made

I didn't like the trade either, but it's done with now, get over it already.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#155 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO04VXBIS0M

Pretty much sums up CDC.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#156 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Umm...

Did anyone notice the following

1. Its game 1 with no preseason (all in the same boat so i get you taking that latter bit away)
2. We have alot of new players (our second line is brand new and full of guys who really shouldn't be there)
3. Its game 1
4. Toronto won
5. So toronto is going 45-0 and we're going 0-45 lets start rioting
6. Lets trade Schnieder, keep Lou, and get rid of Kesler he was invisible - oh he didn't play?

Have to say, this is why the rest of the league hates van fans, because the panicking idiots, are just that, idiots

This. I am embarrassed. Crybaby dot com.
Posted Image

#157 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Yes the defenders were sloppy but I believe the biggest problem is our SYSTEM. AV has preached "offence from the defence" for years and encourages defenders jumping up in the rush and taking risks like pinching and gambling on plays. Normally, when our timing is perfect, these plays pay off and we end up maintaining pressure. Our system and way of scoring involves lots of point-shots and not much offence from the forwards (2/3 goals so far from defencemen).

The problem with this is that the Canucks no longer have a very offensive-minded defence. This system worked wonders with Ehrhoff and Salo in the fold, but now we have a much better, tougher, playoff-ready and more gritty defence with Garrison and Tanev who aren't as fast or agile.

Ideally, we should revert to a defensive style of game, similar to the trap we played in 06-07, but rely on 2 guys on the blueline for offence (Bieksa and Edler) while the rest play a safe, stay-at-home style of defence. Scoring is meant to be done by the guys up front and we have some of the best, fastest flying forwards in the league in the Sedins, Kesler, Booth and co. The number of odd-man rushes we've given up over the last 2 or 3 years is disgusting compared to other teams and it's because of our risky defence mentality that has to be shaken.

In the last 5 years no team has won a Cup with a fragile, mobile, offensive defence. Look down the list, L.A had a very gritty, big and tough defence with one or two offensive guys (Doughty and Voynov). Boston obviously had an all-stay-at-home style of defence, they never jumped up in the rush and all the scoring was done by the deep forward unit. Go back to Chicago and even they only had 2 free-wheeling defencemen (Campbell and Keith), the rest were tough stay at home guys who never played risky defence (Seabrook, Hjarlmsson, Sopel etc.).

Our defencemen are perfectly suited to a shutdown role with the amount of defensive prowess and size we have now, they shouldn't be asked by AV to jump up in the rush and take pinches when it might lead to a rush the other way. Hang both defenders back, take the point shot when there's nothing else down low but leave the skating and scoring to the forwards. I'd rather win games 2-1 or 3-2 than get into a shootout because tonight just proved that we aren't deep enough up front to score 5 or 6 goals.
Posted Image

#158 EveILL

EveILL

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Wondering how the reaction would have been if it had been Luongo who let in 4 goals. Title would read, "Luongo Melt Down" not "Defence" blame..... Typical.

#159 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't think we can really blame goaltending when our defence was so terrible. Edler played like a 1.5 million dollar player Hamhuis was bad. They were getting caught at there own blue line and guys were flying past them. I thought are D-Men where suppose to be one of the best groups in the league. In my opinion they completely are the blame for losing against the Ducks. I hope they can tighten up fast. Maybe Barker could help in the physical department.

oh shut up, 5 goals on 15 shots, if that were Luongo people would be demanding his head.

Get real...

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#160 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

someone should have told the Canucks this was game 1 of the season, not game 7 of the finals ! Probably wouldnt have been as much of a blowout.......

#161 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414029

As per this article on TSN:

Teemu Selanne, the NHL's oldest player at age 42, had two goals and two assists to help make Schneider's first season-opening start a short one.

I'm sorry, but this article makes it sound like Selanne had 4 points against Schneider.

Sometimes I think the media makes too a big deal about the goaltending in Vancouver.

Jimmy Howard gave up 5 goals also tonight, and so did Jon Quick. Where's the huge media story about those two?

I have been watching hockey for a while now, and it seems like the Canucks are under such extreme pressure that even one blowout loss is worthy of re-evaluating the team.

I get tired of the soap opera surrounding this team. I just want to watch some good hockey, win or lose.

Bring on the Oilers.....and their bottomless pit of bluechip young Gretzky-in-waitings.

Sometimes?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#162 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

CDC, you never cease to amaze me. It is so comforting to know that after a long hiatus, the insanity here is just as deep and just as crazy as the day the season ended. Thankyou CDC for just being you.
Sig too big.

#163 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

We were beaten badly, but it was not all bad. There was some really nice play and great effort from some...Hansen, Volpatti, Weise, Higgins. Twins and Bur were OK as well as Lappy, Kass. I like the PP. I like how Garrison is looking so far. Ginger was not good enough. Luongo was. A certain Selke winner in the line up and that game is a lot closer.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#164 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Lady Gaga's defence put on a better show the other night for crying out loud!! :)

#165 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

When I seen who the 'Nucks were opening the season against I kind of had an inkling something like this may happen.

Anaheim is a team Vancouver has trouble playing against..much like St. Louis, LA and Boston...what is the consistent thing between these 3 clubs? All are big strong teams that have a nasty edge to them when needed. With the Canucks being a 'one line team' at the moment this makes it an even bigger problem.

As for the team itself...offense was uninspired, defense was pretty weak overall and goaltending was sub par. Pretty much what I expected from a traditionally slow starting Vancouver franchise. Let's hope for better things against the Oil.

#166 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

our team; especially defence are notoriously slow starters.

i cant believe everyone is surprised by this result/performance. on top of everything, very few of our players have been playing during the lockout (in comparison to other teams locked out players)

expect a very slow start in Vancouver.( that wont be all that bad if we can peak during the playoffs)

In that case we will lose to Edmonton for sure then because most of thier young studs have been playing so we are early in the season and we are 0-2

We will have to come back quickly : )

#167 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

oh shut up, 5 goals on 15 shots, if that were Luongo people would be demanding his head.

Get real...

Actually it was the Teams fault....

#168 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Wondering how the reaction would have been if it had been Luongo who let in 4 goals. Title would read, "Luongo Melt Down" not "Defence" blame..... Typical.

Please give it a rest lets start off the season with a little maturity !!!

#169 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

POPULAR

Everyone has highlighted the band things in a million threads from last night, so I thought I would talk about a few good things that came out of the first game, despite a 7-3 loss.

1. Garrison looked good on the PP. Good shot and creative positioning without the puck.

2. Kassian was strong on the puck, winning races and skating well.

3. Daniel Sedin had 2 points.

4. Edler had 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots and 1 hit in his first game after signing a huge contract.

5. Mike Gillis actually came out to thank the fans, many GMs in big (and crazy) markets would never do that.

6. Dale Weise. Come on, he looked awesome, despite having no finish... He had 4 hits and 1 shot. Was skating very well.

7. Hansen looked good with the Sedins on the PP, many people often question his ability to keep an offensive play going, but he did well after 1 game.

8. Aaron Volpatti threw some decent hits, indicating his injury did not make him too soft.

9. Manny continued to show good faceoff abilities, winning 60 percent (9/15).

10. Tanev looked as composed as ever, not "fragile" as one of the commentators kept saying about the Canucks. Awesome to have such a reliable (young) guy back there.

I hope the good things are built on and the Canucks can beat the Oilers, who are not as physically dominating as the Ducks, but have many highly-skilled players who are young, fast, excited and have played hockey already this year. Go Canucks!

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 20 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#170 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Agreed. Nice to see a little positivity.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#171 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

.....for teemu and winnick.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#172 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ballard and Tanev were solid as well
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#173 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I didn't think zack had a strong game, ok for a 4th line but most shifts he looked lost. Thought he had two ok shifts.

I've seen a few posts that people thought he looked good, not sure what they saw that justifies a second line spot. Weise looked good in all of his shifts.

Edited by Nino, 20 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#174 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,304 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Gotta love coming in here after one game to see the words "doomed", "over", etc.

Honestly, I think the turning point was a dirty cross check by Lydman on Burr into the boards at the start of the second. Of course, it got missed but then a minute later or so, Burr ends up in the box. That was at 3-2 and it unraveled after that. Frustrating.

I'm not assessing things on this one, "welcome back" game full of hype and distraction. Guys'll be fine. Liked Volpatti's grit and physicality out there. Hope our crowd doesn't react to the whole Lu/Schneids thing like each and every moment tells a story. There are reasons for having two goaltenders and, at times, you use them both in a game...until we ship one out, that's a plus for us (having both). Was happy for Lu that he got the ovation he did - if only to send him off on a note of positivity. Schneids'll be fine...our goaltenders are put under glaring scrutiny but the team in front of them has to do their part too. Some of the goals were bad (unscreened), but let's call that a shaking out of the cobwebs reality check game. Glad we have another today, to set things straight.

Posted Image

#175 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

The only positive was when the game ended.

#176 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

AV... Hey, AV... Dat you?

:bigblush:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#177 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

AV... Hey, AV... Dat you?

:bigblush:

LOL, "the effort was there".

#178 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Ballard and Tanev were solid as well

I thought so too. The pairing looked really smooth....Skated well and made good passes. AV rewarded the pairing with 18-19 min of ice time, which is really rare. Although there were a few sketch moments.

This is probably the biggest development imo. Last year, we over worked the Hamhuis-Bieksa-Edler trio and salo typically got hurt.

I Thought Garrison looked good. He'll only get better as time goes on. (Was a little nervious since Ballard and Booth took a long time to adjust)

Oh and Volpati and Weise played really well. We have a good 1st line, 3rd line, and 4th line, and solid defense pairings and 2 good goalies.

We just need a second line.

Edited by Sergei Shirokov, 20 January 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#179 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Honestly, AV better be on the block for this season

Yes after one game he should be on the block. Moronic. :sadno:
Posted Image

#180 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Positive: LU gets his starting position back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.