Canucks Community

Window for winning the Stanley Cup is officially closed

Anima

Problem 1:

45 million committed to 10 of 23 players:

Schneider

Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

you friggin kidding me you idiot? Last year we lost home opener 4-3 against penguins in OT. We won Prez trophy. 2 years ago we lost home opener 2-1 to LA, we went to Cup Finals. 3 years ago we lost home opener to flames 3-5, we went to game 6 in the second round. From what I see, losing home opener is fine if it'll get us to the playoffs and finals... so shut up!

I remember early last year people got panicked by our horrible start to the season, saying how we won't make the playoffs. Well guess what, we did.

This is only a 48 game season, you say? So what? You realize that last year, by game 48, we were clearly in the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure we had taken the NW Division title from Minnesota by that point.

while we are thin-ish on prospects we do have:

Tanev- solid D man

Kassian- looks ok but needs more than 10 min a game to develop- also would look better playing with better players.

Jensen- playing very well against men in SEL

Corrado- will likely make the team next year.

Cannauton- has shown some PP promise in AHL cannot give up on him yet

Lack- 2 straight years of stellar AHL play- unfortunate injury this year

Schroeder-would be on the roster if Kes and Booth were healthy, as AV said he would want Schroeder to be surrounded by better players when they bring him up

That's 7 prospects ready to play NHL hockey this year/next year

Anima- glad you brought up huberdeau and Kadri- FLA and TO sucked for a mega long time and got top 5 picks to show for it. That's what happens- you tank- you get top 5 picks- you get better- you get bottom 5 picks. So figure it out Anima!!!

I'm sure everything will be fine once we get Kesler back and healthy, (he's going to have a bounce back year) once the goalies get into their groove and they will, and once the defence smarten up and they will, this was the first game in 9 months. There was no pre season and a short training camp. I almost think it's a joke that you're panicing at the most ridiculous time to panic. Yes, our future looks bleak as far as prospects go but I'm sure MG will maintain a high standard for this team.

Its the End of the World as we know it!! The sky is falling! Omg!! Lets break up the team!! No!!!! No!!!

From the way some people are talking in here its going to be a Toronto/St.Louis final with the Laffs winning the cup.

Guess they didnt see Detroit lose 6-0. Rebuild?? LA lost 5-2 Rebuild? OMG!!!

So I guess you'll be looking for handholds on the Oilers bandwagon?

Problem 1:

Schneider

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

It was almost better during the lockout.lol I love watching the Canucks play,but it's threads like this that make our fan base look like mindless idiots. 1 game and the window is closed? Bringing up cap space etc is useless. Right now,we are in a season...The team will play as best they can with the short season...Who gives a damn if we don't win a cup this year. You watch,the team that does will be laughed at and critisized for winning a cup on a short season. It's just how some fans are. Please do not be one of those fans!

Go Canucks GO!

P.s-People need to stop blaming Schneider ffs. First game of the year,did you see Quick? He got owned in his first game back. It is what it is,1 game into the season....Give them time to find a rythem...

Problem 1:

Schneider

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

It was almost better during the lockout.lol I love watching the Canucks play,but it's threads like this that make our fan base look like mindless idiots. 1 game and the window is closed? Bringing up cap space etc is useless. Right now,we are in a season...The team will play as best they can with the short season...Who gives a damn if we don't win a cup this year. You watch,the team that does will be laughed at and critisized for winning a cup on a short season. It's just how some fans are. Please do not be one of those fans!

Go Canucks GO!

P.s-People need to stop blaming Schneider ffs. First game of the year,did you see Quick? He got owned in his first game back. It is what it is,1 game into the season....Give them time to find a rythem...

Archived