Canucks Community

Window for winning the Stanley Cup is officially closed

Anima

Problem 1:

45 million committed to 10 of 23 players:

Schneider

Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

Problem 1:

Schneider

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

So many things, where to start?

First of all, you know that we don't just get to start randomly picking? - that there's an order and because we've been a top team, that is reflected in that? You speak as if it's for a lack of trying but it's simply how the process works.

Secondly, you're already writing off our prospects and upcoming players? Awesome, I should end this now then (but won't).

Now, I'm no expert as I don't follow too closely - but Kadri hasn't exploded in either....I recall he was being pressured to prove himself and was being questioned as to his readiness. Players WILL have peaks and valleys and you simply aren't giving enough time to assess the successes/failures in my view.

Patience.

It is only the first game but you do bring up some valid points.

This team does not have the right personel to play against a big line like the Ducks first line or when they come up against a tight checking hard hitting team like Boston or LA. That has to be addressed when Luongo is traded. Hopefully MG can get some players that fill the bill....big skilled players that can do more than check.

Last night their was very few Canucks doing what they had to win. The PK was awful as was the goaltending. In a shortened season, it will not take too many more of these stinkers before we will be counting on another team to lose so that we make the playoffs by default.

I hope that last nights game served as a wakeup call and that we see a complete team that is hungry to win tonight.

Problem 1:

Schneider

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

"Quietly putting in places" = draft picks. Every NHL team drafts players annually. This is not something exclusive to the Canucks or Mike Gillis.

And you're really including Anton Rodin in that list of "next generation" for the Canucks?

lol how can u call kassian a failure? hes 21 and has played less than half a season for us in total games played... smh

wheres our version or huberdeau, tarasenko????? HELLO!?!? look at where the blues and panthers sat in the standings a few years ago before they started getting better???

thats the consulation for SUCKING HARD, UNLIKE THE CANUCKS! you get high draft picks.... we sucked hard in the nineties and look what we got to show for it. back to back art ross winners the TWINS!!! BLUE CHIPS LIKE EDLER, SCHNEIDER!!

Our "huberdeaus and tarasenkos" came about a decade earlier than these teams.

MAN CDC MAKES ME MAD LOL

you friggin kidding me you idiot? Last year we lost home opener 4-3 against penguins in OT. We won Prez trophy. 2 years ago we lost home opener 2-1 to LA, we went to Cup Finals. 3 years ago we lost home opener to flames 3-5, we went to game 6 in the second round. From what I see, losing home opener is fine if it'll get us to the playoffs and finals... so shut up!

This is all very pleasing to me, after being a huge canuck fan for over 20 years and the players and league showing they don't give a crap about the people that generate all the money they have been fighting over. I can't wait to watch this team fail at in every aspect of the game. i won't be watching the games but i sure will watch all the highlights just so i can cheer there trials and tribulations. This middle finger is for you canucks organization and i really hope you guys go 1-47.

Having only a 48 game schedule,not having Kesler and booth in the lineup really hurts

The fact that none of our prospects can crack the bottom nine forwards really goes to show how poor the talent pool is in the farm.

Yes we can talk about gaunce and Jensen and corrado but weren't we talking about hodgson and sauve and Schroeder a few yrs back,where are they now

In the mike gillis era, the Canucks have shown an consistent inability to develop their younger players, kassian for one should be playing for the wolves and getting 20 min a game,he's only up here so that the hodgson trade doesn't look so bad.

We all watched how Kesler and burrows develop in front of our eyes as third line players. Do we have anything remotely like them

right now. It was a pain to watch the nucks last night, they can't score on even strength, they run around in their own zone and the coverage was awful. For those of you who say this was just the first game, well I would understand if this group was getting to know

each other, but they basically have been intact for the last three years. It's not that they lost last night, it wasn't even a close game.

All is not as well in Canuck land as some of you think, we transitioned from linden to bure to messier (sort of) to naslund to bertuzzi to the sedins to luongo to kes and bur and now there is nobody. Every night we are going to watch the sedins get mauled, Raymond and Hansen fall down,nthe total lack of skills with the remaining forwards, Edler drop passes being picked off, bieksa running around and Ballard looking towards the sky. This is the results of mike gillis hockey, what happened to the puck possession team, what happened to the bold moves, what happened to developing young players so they can step in and make things happen.

Yes the Canucks have played at a very high level but to not see that there is something wrong and the future is not quite as bright as before is just as bad as bandwagoners who jump on and off. I'm not a bandwagoner, just a fan for 37 yrs and I'm starting to see and feel like the era just before mike Keenan put his mark on our team, get ready for a bumpy ride

Archived