Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Window for winning the Stanley Cup is officially closed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#91 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I hate u all

But you hardly know us .. :sadno:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#92 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I hope your hockey knowledge is as good as your comebacks, go get mommy to make u more sandwiches and forget about hockey

I would love to hear your hockey intellect.

I would hope it spans further than calling our Mods Nazi's but I doubt it.

zackass.png

#93 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

After watching 18 yr old Scott Laughton be the best player on the ice today for Philly, Kadri scoring the leafs first goal, guys like Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, and Fowler buzzing around last night, the only problem I see is giving guys like Ebett a spot over Schroeder. The canucks had next to no-one play during the lockout and on such a veteran team a young guy with a lot to prove would have added some much needed energy.

#94 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

You know hockey is officially back when:

Posted Image

1) The panic button has been pressed after a blowout loss.

Posted Image

2) The team is 0-1-0 - Blow it up and go for the #1 draft pick!!!

Posted Image

3) Salary Cap is lowering and the window to the Stanley Cup is closed - Trade The Core!!!!!!

4) All of the Above.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#95 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Rather than have multiple post putting down someone else's post or the ones calling fellow posters Leaf fans, why don't we have an actual discussion.
From my standpoint, we do have trouble playing against the teams with bigger players like Getz and Perry etc or against tight checking teams. The Canucks are not scoring that many goals playing against the bigger tight checking teams.
So what's the answer? Should the Sedins be split up when we play teams like the Ducks so that we spread the talent throughout the lineup? It is not productive to have them bulldozed by a Getz or Chara type player. That is problem 1.
Problem 2 is that our defense is having a huge problem of shutting those bigger players down. They skate into our zone and just impose their will by skating through our dmen.
Problem 3 is that the Canucks rely on the PP to bail them out because they are not scoring that many even strength goals against bigger teams. The problem becomes even bigger when the playoffs arrive because the refs put the whistle away. There is no sense in whining that a penalty should have been called because they should have enough playoff experience now to know that they can't rely on PPs to win the game.
I don't buy into the argument about the window closing either. We have a group of talented players but just not the right mix at this point to go all the way. This team needs tweaking and maybe the Luongo trade will address that. The Sedins need a huge Getz size skilled player on their line (nothing against Burrows but he is not big enough to open up the room for the Sedins to operate in). If your top 2 lines are getting shut down, something is wrong and last night the most effective line was the 4th line and they are not going to score to many goals.
The Canucks do not have to contend with huge players tonight so we should see a better game....but it still does not lessen the need to address the shortcomings.

Edited by bluesman60, 20 January 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#96 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Some people can't take a loss.

#97 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

LOL Rodin Big and fast. You must be new to the team.

LOL is right...I'm not sure what I was thinking. He's listed at 6' and 176 lbs. For some reason I thought he was a bit heavier. Definitely wasn't thinking of him as a power forward...more like a bigger forward relative to recent picks like Schroeder and Hodgson.

Hockey's Future says:

Rödin's offensive game stands out thanks to his superb skating, his shot, hockey sense and puck handling. Usually scores quite spectacular goals and does not shy away from playing physical. Could use some more strength though.He has the offensive arsenal to be a productive player in the future, but has also the fundamental skills to be used as a role- and checkling line player.

Crossing my fingers that he and all our recent top picks develop sooner rather than later.

Edited by MJDDawg, 20 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#98 canucks.girl1

canucks.girl1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Not really. Actually the majority are shooting down these threads faster then they come up. It's just a small percentage of doomsayers that make it look like a lot by creating threads. So don;t worry about a few bad apples, they don't represent the entire barrel.

well i guess its just those "bad apples" making threads :P
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#99 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

this thread is exactly the reason why this site needs downvotes. absolutely embarrassing!

#100 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I hope your hockey knowledge is as good as your comebacks, go get mommy to make u more sandwiches and forget about hockey, go get some aids they helped jared

Well, that makes even less sense than your previous posts. Good job. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#101 GSP*

GSP*

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Step 1, learn the meaning of the word "officially"

#102 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Kassian is developing nicely...

#103 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

After watching 18 yr old Scott Laughton be the best player on the ice today for Philly, Kadri scoring the leafs first goal, guys like Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, and Fowler buzzing around last night, the only problem I see is giving guys like Ebett a spot over Schroeder. The canucks had next to no-one play during the lockout and on such a veteran team a young guy with a lot to prove would have added some much needed energy.

Fowler didn't even play yesterday...
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#104 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

When we win: Canucks fans complain about winning so much that we don't get top 5 picks every year.

When we lose: Canucks fans complain about our current core not getting the job done and wanting to trade the future away to win now.

So what do you guys really want? How can we have top prospects if fans want us to "win now" by trading away draft picks and prospects?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif

CDC Puck - Pittsburgh Penguins

#105 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Rather than have multiple post putting down someone else's post or the ones calling fellow posters Leaf fans, why don't we have an actual discussion.
From my standpoint, we do have trouble playing against the teams with bigger players like Getz and Perry etc or against tight checking teams. The Canucks are not scoring that many goals playing against the bigger tight checking teams.
So what's the answer? Should the Sedins be split up when we play teams like the Ducks so that we spread the talent throughout the lineup? It is not productive to have them bulldozed by a Getz or Chara type player. That is problem 1.
Problem 2 is that our defense is having a huge problem of shutting those bigger players down. They skate into our zone and just impose their will by skating through our dmen.
Problem 3 is that the Canucks rely on the PP to bail them out because they are not scoring that many even strength goals against bigger teams. The problem becomes even bigger when the playoffs arrive because the refs put the whistle away. There is no sense in whining that a penalty should have been called because they should have enough playoff experience now to know that they can't rely on PPs to win the game.
I don't buy into the argument about the window closing either. We have a group of talented players but just not the right mix at this point to go all the way. This team needs tweaking and maybe the Luongo trade will address that. The Sedins need a huge Getz size skilled player on their line (nothing against Burrows but he is not big enough to open up the room for the Sedins to operate in). If your top 2 lines are getting shut down, something is wrong and last night the most effective line was the 4th line and they are not going to score to many goals.
The Canucks do not have to contend with huge players tonight so we should see a better game....but it still does not lessen the need to address the shortcomings.

1.) True that the Canucks have been higher skill than size and physicality team. Something to keep in mind about the current team is that two, pretty big guys are injured (Kesler and Booth) and the guys who are replacing them (Ebbett and Raymond) are not blessed with a lot of size. Further, there's a lot of new(ish) blood here who are trying to develop chemistry with the rest of the team. I'd be inclined to wait a few more games before plans like splitting up the Sedins were implemented.

2.) I would really like the team to get at least one big, mobile, physical d-man. The Edler/Garrison combo has a goodly amount of size, but they aren't really the team's shutdown pairing.

The question is: where do you get one from and what do you have to give up to get him? The Canucks might be able to get such a guy in the assumed Luongo deal, but if not then we will have to wait until next season and hopefully a UFA at a reasonable price can be coaxed to come here.

3.) I agree about the problem of having an over-reliance on the power play, especially when it comes playoff time. Maybe some of the team's ability to score at even strength will return with Booth and Kesler. Perhaps one of the assets from the assumed Luongo deal will also improve the outlook.

We also have to take into consideration that there is "hope" on the team right now. Kassian has scored tonight and has shown something of what he can become.

4.) There is a window, if we are talking about the Sedins career here. Daniel will be 33 next year (I forget how old Henrik will be...) and he and his brother may, or may not, sign up for another couple of years. So, let's say there's three years of "Sedin window" left to this team. Once they are gone there will likely be a drop in production and a significant change in the way this team plays hockey.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#106 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

1.) True that the Canucks have been higher skill than size and physicality team. Something to keep in mind about the current team is that two, pretty big guys are injured (Kesler and Booth) and the guys who are replacing them (Ebbett and Raymond) are not blessed with a lot of size. Further, there's a lot of new(ish) blood here who are trying to develop chemistry with the rest of the team. I'd be inclined to wait a few more games before plans like splitting up the Sedins were implemented.

2.) I would really like the team to get at least one big, mobile, physical d-man. The Edler/Garrison combo has a goodly amount of size, but they aren't really the team's shutdown pairing.

The question is: where do you get one from and what do you have to give up to get him? The Canucks might be able to get such a guy in the assumed Luongo deal, but if not then we will have to wait until next season and hopefully a UFA at a reasonable price can be coaxed to come here.

3.) I agree about the problem of having an over-reliance on the power play, especially when it comes playoff time. Maybe some of the team's ability to score at even strength will return with Booth and Kesler. Perhaps one of the assets from the assumed Luongo deal will also improve the outlook.

We also have to take into consideration that there is "hope" on the team right now. Kassian has scored tonight and has shown something of what he can become.

4.) There is a window, if we are talking about the Sedins career here. Daniel will be 33 next year (I forget how old Henrik will be...) and he and his brother may, or may not, sign up for another couple of years. So, let's say there's three years of "Sedin window" left to this team. Once they are gone there will likely be a drop in production and a significant change in the way this team plays hockey.

regards,
                                                                           G.

The Sedins are twins so they would be the same age lol.Booth and Kesler have not shown that they have that much chemistry between them so far. When they are both back it will help bolster the team talent. But, I think that the 2nd line is a disaster because they get shutdown as well. They both play an individual game and don't seem to be able to complement each others style. Booth hasn't shown that he should be on the 2nd line, he is more suited for the 3rd line. I actually liked Higgins on the 2nd better than Booth.

Edited by bluesman60, 20 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.