The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Window for winning the Stanley Cup is officially closed

Anima

This is all very pleasing to me, after being a huge canuck fan for over 20 years and the players and league showing they don't give a crap about the people that generate all the money they have been fighting over. I can't wait to watch this team fail at in every aspect of the game. i won't be watching the games but i sure will watch all the highlights just so i can cheer there trials and tribulations. This middle finger is for you canucks organization and i really hope you guys go 1-47.

Someone better tell the players they're not going to win the Cup. It might save them some effort, energy, and disappointment. *sigh* And here I thought we could just be happy to see hockey again, but this OP has really set me straight with his official statements.

So... um... Go Habs?

Ha so I geuss the 94,95 lockout could just be slouched off, but not this time. Oh no, they owe you the viewing pleasure of watching them play and since those few months of pleasure didn`t happen and you have no life otherwise you`re very very angry. Oh and I geuss it was the Canucks organization specifically that orchestrated this whole lockout. Don`t spout your idiotic comments here, there`s enough of them. I think its time you put your money where mouth is and dont just half ass this attempt at a boycott. Cancel your account and remove yourself completely from this site of ``canucks fans``,which you are now no longer.

The idea that they owe the fans anything is ludicrous in my mind. They play a sport which we get enjoyment out of watching and therefore willingly pay them to continue. You have it backwards as to who owes who.

I am proud you have been a fan for twenty years, time is something to be very proud of for sure.

This is all very pleasing to me, after being a huge canuck fan for over 20 years and the players and league showing they don't give a crap about the people that generate all the money they have been fighting over. I can't wait to watch this team fail at in every aspect of the game. i won't be watching the games but i sure will watch all the highlights just so i can cheer there trials and tribulations. This middle finger is for you canucks organization and i really hope you guys go 1-47.

Problem 1:

45 million committed to 10 of 23 players:

Schneider

Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

Problem 1:

45 million committed to 10 of 23 players:

Schneider

Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

Frack people and their positive thinking. Fans have the right to be angry at all the things that are going wrong. It's just stupid to think Canucks is perfect or even great. For those who say it's only one game, this isn't the first time Canucks lose to Ducks by a large margin. This happens 8 out of 10 times. Whenever Canucks win against Ducks, it's only by 1 or 2 goals versus 5-6 goals vice versa. Canucks always need the perfect set up and a few dozen passes before a shot gets taken. Ducks skates in and does a casual wrister and it's in the back of the net. I'd be happy if a Canuck can even hit the net from 5 feet. Frack management for their seniority mentality and not respecting young players' performances. Frack AV for "disciplined plays" aka boring and predictable plays.

No kidding Sherlock! I was referring the type of player...bigger and faster...something this team hasn't had much of in the last few years. True Rodin's success is yet to be determined so I may be overly enthusiastic on him...but he's big and fast and just turned 22 so hopefully develops into what the team hoped when they drafted him.

Unfortunately, this poster is fairly dead on. The Canucks have assembled a nice core moving forward, but will not be able to compete for a cup again with this group. Schneider will be great, and at a very fair price. Our 20-25 million dollar big 4/5 on defence are way too small to compete with the Blues, Kings and others in the west. Bieksa,Hamhuis, even Garrison. Edler is big, but doesn't play big. Ballard 4 Mil ???.

Outside of the two aging Sedins, our offence is a complete joke. After last years 2nd half and playoffs, Gillis's # 1 priority should have been to get a couple forwards who could put the puck in the net. Outside the twins(and Kesler if healthy), we probably don't have a top 60 forward in the league. How is that possible for a supposed contender ?? I like Burrows, but dozens and dozens of players would have his, or better #'s playing with the twins. We are stuck with a bunch of players nobody else wants...Lapierre,Higgins,Booth,Malhotra(hate putting him in this group, but he is useless now),Raymond,Volpatti, Ebbett......COME ON !!!! Where's the talent/skill ??? All hard working good guys.

Name a guy on our roster that could score those 2 goals 42 yr old Selanne scored last nite...NOBODY

Gillis's other huge mistake for this year was not taking ANYTHING at all for Luongo. Sorry guys, but he is done. The more he plays, the more evident it will become. We will be stuck buying him out after this year, and lose the Cap room this Spring. There will be a ton of great offensive players available at the deadline....with teams out of it prepping for the new cap next year. Guys like Kessel,Getzlaf,Perry etc. if their teams fall out of contention,and don't think they'll resign.

We should have taken Bozak as a 3rd line C, and anything, just to free up the space if nothing else. I like MG as a person, and believe he can sell Vancouver, and the team to get people to sign here for less (who wouldn't want to play here?). But he has absolutely no ability to judge (and more importantly) predict talent.

All this said, with a healthy Kesler (if healthy our MValuable player IMO), we will be a middle of the road playoff team for the next half decade at least. The rink will sell out, the team will continue to make gobs of money, but as this poster stated, the window for a Cup has unfortunately been shut, due to Gillis's inability to continue making this team better.

Archived