• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

To Winnipeg:
Mason Raymond

To Vancouver:
Nikolai Antropov

Edit: Possibly add a pick going in one direction to wash out any value difference. i.e either Raymond + a 4th for Antropov or vice versa, depending on your opinion.

Why for Vancouver:

1. With Kesler and Booth injured the Canucks could use some size up front now, having BOTH Raymond and either Ebbett or JS is too small of a top-6. Antropov is not a huge hitter, but he does throws hits and is very strong on the puck. He's literally a giant at 6'6.
2. With the possibility of future injury Antropov can play C or W.
3. Antropov is good for 15-20 goals a year and can play anywhere in the top-9.
4. It has been a while since Raymond has been able to find chemistry on a line.
5. Having a big body on the 2nd PP in front of the net could be helpful.. Higgins - Antropov - Lapierre or Burrows - Higgins - Antropov.. and healthy Burrows - Antropov - Booth.

Why for the Jets:

1. The Jets PK was very poor last year and that continued in the opener, Raymond's speed could help and under AV he has shown to be good on the PK.
2. Jets have liked to bring in players with previous success as Moose.
3. In Nikolai's last 20 games last year his ice time went down significantly, and last night he only played around 12-13 minutes, signalling a mistrust between him and the coach IMO.
4. Raymond has a higher potential offensively if he can re-find his game with a change of scenery.

Pending UFA for pending UFA.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 20 January 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#2 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Raymond is a pending UFA, not an RFA. I could see some interest in a trade like this, but a 6th or 7th from our side wouldn't cut it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Raymond is a pending UFA, not an RFA. I could see some interest in a trade like this, but a 6th or 7th from our side wouldn't cut it.

Oops, right. Thanks for the correction.

How much more value do you think Antropov holds than Raymond? Lately they've both been playing roughly the same minutes, one on the LW and the other on the RW.

Raymond has a bigger potential, is faster, younger, is better positionally defensively, is coming from a winning culture, is getting paid less and is better on the PK. Antropov is more versatile, way bigger, slightly more physical, but is coming from a losing culture and has a cap hit of slightly over 4 million.

I think Raymond might actually be slightly more valuable than Antropov... Offensive production wise, their pace last year in comparison:

Raymond over 82 games: 15 goals, 15 assists and 30 points.
Antropov over 82 games: 18 goals, 24 assists and 42 points.

So it's true that Antropov had better offensive stats, but Raymond helps out the Jets more in the areas they need (PK, youth, speed). It should also be brought to attention that after Antropov's ice time starting getting cut down he had 8 points/20 games.. which would put him around Raymond's level of straight offensive production from last year, so if he continues to receive that level of TOI, it is likely he is going to continue to produce offensively at Raymond's level.

Do you think the deal would be more fair if it was Raymond + a 4th for Antropov? The more I think about it, I would say Raymond straight up for Antropov is a fair deal considering each team's needs and each player's role.

#4 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nah I wouldn't do it
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 DrChill

DrChill

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I would do it

#6 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Nah I wouldn't do it

Okay, why not?

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Would Antropov drop down to be the 3C when Kesler comes back?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#8 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Would Antropov drop down to be the 3C when Kesler comes back?

Theoretically, if the ENTIRE team was healthy, there would be some healthy competition for

Like, for example

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows.. obviously
Booth - Kesler - Kassian/Antropov.. depending on what Kassian has done by the time Kes & Booth come back
Higgins - Antropov/Lapierre - Hansen/Kassian/Antropov .. depending if Lapierre continues his good play until the team is healthy and Hansen too. Though I have no doubt Hansen will be deserving of this spot.
Malhotra - Antropov/Lapierre - Weise/Antropov/Hansen ... Depending who's been the best of these players
Volpatti/Ebbett/Weise/Malhotra, Volpatti/Ebbett/Weise/Malhotra .. depending who has been better

But what the chances every single forward is healthy this short season? Not too high, I don't think

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 20 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#9 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Sorry that looks really confusing, but do you get my point?

#10 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Sorry that looks really confusing, but do you get my point?

I got it. If this line up can stay healthy and we hit mid season form when the playoffs start, look out.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#11 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hmm, not bad actually.

I don't like Raymond, and wouldn't be pumped to have him on the Jets. However, like all Jets fans, I really don't like Antropov. If Scheifle sticks this season, then maybe it's worth it. Raymond would likely be a 3rd liner on the team and would serve as a huge upgrade to our terrible PK.

This trade makes sense for both teams. The Jets won't be re-signing Antropov anyway, so there's no loss there. I think this trade depends entirely on the Canucks, their relationship with Raymond, and whether they think he can help down the stretch more than Antropov.

Win for both teams.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#12 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hmm, not bad actually.

I don't like Raymond, and wouldn't be pumped to have him on the Jets. However, like all Jets fans, I really don't like Antropov. If Scheifle sticks this season, then maybe it's worth it. Raymond would likely be a 3rd liner on the team and would serve as a huge upgrade to our terrible PK.

This trade makes sense for both teams. The Jets won't be re-signing Antropov anyway, so there's no loss there. I think this trade depends entirely on the Canucks, their relationship with Raymond, and whether they think he can help down the stretch more than Antropov.

Win for both teams.

Thank you for your perspective.

I basically agree with all your points, and although I would say there's a 50/50 chance at this point that Raymond will be re-signed, if Schroeder can come up an make an impact on the W, he'll be so expendable it won't even be funny.

The only issue I see from the Canucks side is that the team appears to be a tight knit group, and Raymond seems to be pretty popular amongst the big media talkers - Kesler, Bieksa, AV, etc..

IMO, like you said, this trade seems to benefit both teams, the keys being: a boost to the PK for the Jets and a bigger body up front for the injury-riddled Canucks' forwards with minimal assets being moved.

That's another key you bring up though: Nikolai won't be re-signed, so why not take a risk with a younger winger who may just need a change of scenery and could be a longer-term help? It is not as if the Jets are cup contenders quite yet, though it may not be too much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.