Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

School tells mom her daughter,13, should get breast reduction to avoid harrasment

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Missouri mom outraged after school reportedly tells daughter to get breast reduction to stop harassment

MOLINE ACRES, MO (KTVI) — A north St. Louis County mother claims her 13-year-old daughter is being harassed because of her breast size and was floored by the response she got after calling the school district.

Tammie Jackson says her daughter Gabrielle is being sexually harassed because of her large breasts at Central Middle School in Moline Acres. She says the sixth grader has been dealing with bullying since last semester.

Jackson called the Riverview Gardens School District to complain and was shocked by what she was told.

“It makes me feel like now you are telling me it’s my fault, it’s God’s fault the way he made her. The lady on the phone said they could transfer my daughter and said her boobs were so large she will always get teased. And the only suggestion she had for me is to have my daughter get a breast reduction,” said Jackson.

FOX 2 stopped by the school district for a response and we’re told they’re working to counsel students to resolve the bullying issue. As for the claims about the surgery, we’re told they are still looking into it.

Jackson also says her 9-year-old son Elijah has bullying issues. He has a rare heart condition and she says kids make fun of his surgical scars, causing him to make suicidal comments.

Jackson says all she wants is resolution to an issue she says can affect kids for the rest of their lives, “Talk with the kids. Let them know people’s bodies are changing, everybody is different, but God made us all great.”

Jackson says the superintendent called and said they are working on a plan to resolve issues for both of her children.

http://fox2now.com/2013/01/17/mother-school-told-daughter-to-get-breast-reduction-after-harassment/

School 'told girl to get breast reduction' to deter bullies

A US school has reportedly told a woman her 13-year-old daughter should get a breast reduction so bullies would leave her alone.

Missouri mother Tammie Jackson phoned the local school district to report that her daughter, Gabrielle, was being bullied because of her large breasts.

But she said a school employee suggested a breast reduction because the young girl's breasts were so large that she would always be teased about them.

"It makes me feel like now you are telling me it's my fault or it's God's fault the way he made her," Ms Jackson told Fox8.

"(They should) talk with the kids, let them know people's bodies are changing.
"Everybody is different, but God made us all great."

Ms Jackson said her nine-year-old son Elijah had talked about suicide after he was also targeted because of surgical scars on his chest.

She said she worried the bullying could have long-lasting effects for her children.
School Superintendent Clive Coleman said the district was attempting to decrease bullying throughout the area.

"We're still investigating it," he said.
"But to be honest with you, I think it's maybe a product of miscommunication."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/01/20/11/49/school-suggested-teen-gets-surgery-to-stop-bullies

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#2 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

lolfail and they call themselves a school

:picard:

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#3 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

She's 13, how big could they be? Surely not so big, that she's some freak of nature.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#4 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,500 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

So to avoid harassment from other students the school harasses her? :lol:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#5 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I suppose if a child had a cleft palate they'd be told to get plastic surgery to avoid bullying? If a child was born missing a part of a limb they'd be told to get a prosthesis to avoid bullying? If a child came to school with a lisp parents would be told to take them to speech therapy to avoid bullying? All things someone is born with and cannot help........just like the child in this story. The crass stupidity of these (this?) school official is appalling.

And I don't for one nano-second believe that there was "miscommunication" involved at all.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#6 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

She's 13, how big could they be? Surely not so big, that she's some freak of nature.

You'd really say something like that? Have you not looked around at how quickly girls are maturing physically? And what does it matter how large they are anyway? Only A's or B's are acceptable at that age instead of C's or D's?? It's bullying over something she has no control over.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 January 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#7 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

wow how about schools teach these kids about puberty.

#8 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

POPULAR

She just needs to ride it out a few more years, then she'll be the most popular girl in school

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#9 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

In the interview, the mother claims the school told her that even if the daughter is transferred, she'd get bullied there, and that the only solution was breast reduction surgery. How would the school know that the daughter would be bullied at another school?

14diqh3.jpg

#10 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

She just needs to ride it out a few more years, then she'll be the most popular girl in school

Ride out years of bullying........brilliant.

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

You'd really say something like that? Have you not looked around at how quickly girls are maturing physically? And what does it matter how large they are anyway? Only A's or B's are acceptable at that age instead of C's or D's?? It's bullying over something she has no control over.

Well, you have to admit BB, it might be the only time a child could come home and proudly tell her mother "Hey Mom, I got a D!"... B)

(Sorry. Couldn't resist the sexist remark)
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Blame the victim of bullying and do not deal with the bullies. Seems to be a great strategy and a terrific life lesson to be teaching the bullies.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#13 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I agree. I was trying to say that it doesn't matter and that even if she has C's or D's, that's fine. I went through elementary school with a girl who was far more developed than the rest of the girls, and she was quite popular. The school and the other students are the ones at fault here.

14diqh3.jpg

#14 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Blame the victim of bullying and do not deal with the bullies. Seems to be a great strategy and a terrific life lesson to be teaching the bullies.

Something that seems to be a trend in society today.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 January 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#15 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I agree. I was trying to say that it doesn't matter and that even if she has C's or D's, that's fine. I went through elementary school with a girl who was far more developed than the rest of the girls, and she was quite popular. The school and the other students are the ones at fault here.

:)

#16 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I understand this is an issue, but why is this a news story?

Can't the parties involved deal with this behind closed doors or something? Seriously, this is not news.

Flame on, sensitive people!

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

POPULAR

Something that seems to be the trend in society today.

Occasionally a bully does target the wrong person as I experienced personally back lo those many years ago.

Years back (mid-1960's) I had transferred school districts part way through Grade 8 so I was an unknown as I arrived at my new junior secondary school. I was not tall but I was a tad on the stocky side. And I appeared to be "nerdy".

However I had a reputation that was generally unknown at my new school for rough play in hockey except by a few of my hockey buddies and teammates who also attended the school. I was the penalty minute and fight leader on my rep team and in the top in those categories in my league. I had learned early on not to get pushed around as I was smaller than the average player.

There was a well known bully at my new school who delighted in pushing kids (particularly smaller kids around and as I was smaller and new kid I was fresh meat for him) - he was on his second or third go-round in Grade 8 and was as we called them in those days a "greaser".

I was getting my phys ed clothes squared away for my first class when he came in the locker room and began bullying me and pushing me around. I warned him to stop and he laughed and continued... big mistake - for him.

One shot to the solar plexus doubled him over and an upper cut sent him a$$ over tea kettle sprawling over a bench... just as the phys ed teacher walked in. It so happened that the phys ed teacher was also a local minor hockey coach so he was familiar with my hockey rep.

He stopped and took it all in as the bully got to his feet and began whining about me punching him out. The teacher told him that in future he should not be so clumsy to fall over a bench and that he probably did not want to be telling a unfounded stories as it would make him a laughing stock at the school. Oh yeah and the teacher gave him a detention for not being properly attired for phys ed class. Posted Image

The bully put his tail between his legs and slunk away.

The teacher told me I should watch myself as this guy had a few friends of like attitude. And sure enough a couple of days later on the way to another class I was threatened that he and his friends would see me on the way home after school.

And on the way home that day he followed me with a couple of his friends and began to taunt me. I again warned him and asked him if he had told his buddies how I had dropped him earlier - obviously he had not and they were a little shocked and somewhat wary all of a sudden. As they were screwing up their courage and verbally escalating things I repeated my warning. That provoked the common response of "Yeah you and whose army"?

My response was "How about these guys?"

A couple of my hockey teammates who were well known jocks at this school and one was a year ahead of me in Grade 9 as well as being my defence partner on the hockey team had also followed a bit behind me as I had told them what was likely to go down.

My partner was nicknamed "Big Bad John" as he was about 6'4" and over 200 pounds and in Grade 9 already had 5 o'clock shadow by noon unlike most of us with peach fuzz - he was an imposing physical specimen. Of course what the bullies did not know was that John was pretty much a gentle giant (unlike myself who was a mean SOB when provoked) and it really took a lot to get him riled - his parents had been on him for years to "not hurt the littler kids" due to his size differential. Our hockey coach was constantly on him to use his size and strength to better effect. The only time I saw him lose really his temper was when I was slashed across the face cutting me open for stitches (no shields or face masks in those days)... John really tuned that guy up as I was being taken off the ice.

My teammates stepped in and separated the bully from his buddies - leaving me alone to deal with him. Of course he backed down when it was one on one. But before he left John came up to him and clamped down on his shoulder with one of his huge hands telling him that if he bothered me in any way in future the bully would have to deal with him. I thought the bully was going to void his bladder on the spot.Posted Image

For the rest of that school year any time I saw this guy bullying other students I intervened and he would back off. It did wonders for my rep at the school. Posted Image

The next year the bully was gone from school and the last I heard he had gone on to a career of petty crime and spent a good deal of time incarcerated over the years.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#18 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I understand this is an issue, but why is this a news story?

Can't the parties involved deal with this behind closed doors or something? Seriously, this is not news.

Flame on, sensitive people!

Seems quite newsworthy and contains important concerns.

#19 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Send her to school with a gun; that will fix 'em.

#20 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

While I sympathise with the girl (I've always hated bullying), I've always wondered what makes the parents think it's a good idea to go to the press in these sort of situations. Yes, it publicly exposes the school and their "solution", but does it also not make it significantly more embarrassing for the kid?

#21 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Send her to school with a gun; that will fix 'em.

Shoot them Katy Perry style?

#22 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

There was a well known bully at my new school who delighted in pushing kids (particularly smaller kids around and as I was smaller and new kid I was fresh meat for him) - he was on his second or third go-round in Grade 8 and was as we called them in those days a "greaser".

I was getting my phys ed clothes squared away for my first class when he came in the locker room and began bullying me and pushing me around. I warned him to stop and he laughed and continued... big mistake - for him.

One shot to the solar plexus doubled him over and an upper cut sent him a$$ over tea kettle sprawling over a bench...

Would have been a much better story with a 'I says pardon' in there ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#23 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I wonder if the complaint about the teenager's breast size came from Dr. Charles Best Secondary students?

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#24 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Girl in my elementry class had at least D's, most people liked her... Wonder why?
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#25 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Would have been a much better story with a 'I says pardon' in there ::D

Posted Image

Ssssnapped...........lost it! Faked him with a head punch............

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#26 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

Ssssnapped...........lost it! Faked him with a head punch............

And the 'nerdy' guy finishes with

and ever since..............I been the Champ

::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#27 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Occasionally a bully does target the wrong person as I experienced personally back lo those many years ago.

Years back (mid-1960's) I had transferred school districts part way through Grade 8 so I was an unknown as I arrived at my new junior secondary school. I was not tall but I was a tad on the stocky side. And I appeared to be "nerdy".

However I had a reputation that was generally unknown at my new school for rough play in hockey except by a few of my hockey buddies and teammates who also attended the school. I was the penalty minute and fight leader on my rep team and in the top in those categories in my league. I had learned early on not to get pushed around as I was smaller than the average player.

One shot to the solar plexus doubled him over and an upper cut sent him a$$ over tea kettle sprawling over a bench... just as the phys ed teacher walked in. It so happened that the phys ed teacher was also a local minor hockey coach so he was familiar with my hockey rep.

He stopped and took it all in as the bully got to his feet and began whining about me punching him out. The teacher told him that in future he should not be so clumsy to fall over a bench and that he probably did not want to be telling a unfounded stories as it would make him a laughing stock at the school. Oh yeah and the teacher gave him a detention for not being properly attired for phys ed class. Posted Image

The bully put his tail between his legs and slunk away.

The teacher told me I should watch myself as this guy had a few friends of like attitude. And sure enough a couple of days later on the way to another class I was threatened that he and his friends would see me on the way home after school.

And on the way home that day he followed me with a couple of his friends and began to taunt me. I again warned him and asked him if he had told his buddies how I had dropped him earlier - obviously he had not and they were a little shocked and somewhat wary all of a sudden. As they were screwing up their courage and verbally escalating things I repeated my warning. That provoked the common response of "Yeah you and whose army"?

My response was "How about these guys?"

A couple of my hockey teammates who were well known jocks at this school and one was a year ahead of me in Grade 9 as well as being my defence partner on the hockey team had also followed a bit behind me as I had told them what was likely to go down.

My partner was nicknamed "Big Bad John" as he was about 6'4" and over 200 pounds and in Grade 9 already had 5 o'clock shadow by noon unlike most of us with peach fuzz - he was an imposing physical specimen. Of course what the bullies did not know was that John was pretty much a gentle giant (unlike myself who was a mean SOB when provoked) and it really took a lot to get him riled - his parents had been on him for years to "not hurt the littler kids" due to his size differential. Our hockey coach was constantly on him to use his size and strength to better effect. The only time I saw him lose really his temper was when I was slashed across the face cutting me open for stitches (no shields or face masks in those days)... John really tuned that guy up as I was being taken off the ice.

My teammates stepped in and separated the bully from his buddies - leaving me alone to deal with him. Of course he backed down when it was one on one. But before he left John came up to him and clamped down on his shoulder with one of his huge hands telling him that if he bothered me in any way in future the bully would have to deal with him. I thought the bully was going to void his bladder on the spot.Posted Image

For the rest of that school year any time I saw this guy bullying other students I intervened and he would back off. It did wonders for my rep at the school. Posted Image

The next year the bully was gone from school and the last I heard he had gone on to a career of petty crime and spent a good deal of time incarcerated over the years.

That was an awful story, thanks.

#28 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I believe you really, really meant to say was:

That was an awesome story, thanks.

You should proofread your posts before hitting that "Post" button.

#29 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I enjoyed it.

Edited by Navyblue, 20 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

#30 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,500 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well, you have to admit BB, it might be the only time a child could come home and proudly tell her mother "Hey Mom, I got a D!"... B)

(Sorry. Couldn't resist the sexist remark)

What, girls can't get D's on their report cards? ;)

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.