The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

School tells mom her daughter,13, should get breast reduction to avoid harrasment

key2thecup

Missouri mom outraged after school reportedly tells daughter to get breast reduction to stop harassment

MOLINE ACRES, MO (KTVI) — A north St. Louis County mother claims her 13-year-old daughter is being harassed because of her breast size and was floored by the response she got after calling the school district.

Tammie Jackson says her daughter Gabrielle is being sexually harassed because of her large breasts at Central Middle School in Moline Acres. She says the sixth grader has been dealing with bullying since last semester.

Jackson called the Riverview Gardens School District to complain and was shocked by what she was told.

“It makes me feel like now you are telling me it’s my fault, it’s God’s fault the way he made her. The lady on the phone said they could transfer my daughter and said her boobs were so large she will always get teased. And the only suggestion she had for me is to have my daughter get a breast reduction,” said Jackson.

FOX 2 stopped by the school district for a response and we’re told they’re working to counsel students to resolve the bullying issue. As for the claims about the surgery, we’re told they are still looking into it.

Jackson also says her 9-year-old son Elijah has bullying issues. He has a rare heart condition and she says kids make fun of his surgical scars, causing him to make suicidal comments.

Jackson says all she wants is resolution to an issue she says can affect kids for the rest of their lives, “Talk with the kids. Let them know people’s bodies are changing, everybody is different, but God made us all great.”

Jackson says the superintendent called and said they are working on a plan to resolve issues for both of her children.

http://fox2now.com/2013/01/17/mother-school-told-daughter-to-get-breast-reduction-after-harassment/

I suppose if a child had a cleft palate they'd be told to get plastic surgery to avoid bullying? If a child was born missing a part of a limb they'd be told to get a prosthesis to avoid bullying? If a child came to school with a lisp parents would be told to take them to speech therapy to avoid bullying? All things someone is born with and cannot help........just like the child in this story. The crass stupidity of these (this?) school official is appalling.

And I don't for one nano-second believe that there was "miscommunication" involved at all.

You'd really say something like that? Have you not looked around at how quickly girls are maturing physically? And what does it matter how large they are anyway? Only A's or B's are acceptable at that age instead of C's or D's?? It's bullying over something she has no control over.

I agree. I was trying to say that it doesn't matter and that even if she has C's or D's, that's fine. I went through elementary school with a girl who was far more developed than the rest of the girls, and she was quite popular. The school and the other students are the ones at fault here.

While I sympathise with the girl (I've always hated bullying), I've always wondered what makes the parents think it's a good idea to go to the press in these sort of situations. Yes, it publicly exposes the school and their "solution", but does it also not make it significantly more embarrassing for the kid?

Archived