The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

School tells mom her daughter,13, should get breast reduction to avoid harrasment

key2thecup

There was a well known bully at my new school who delighted in pushing kids (particularly smaller kids around and as I was smaller and new kid I was fresh meat for him) - he was on his second or third go-round in Grade 8 and was as we called them in those days a "greaser".

I was getting my phys ed clothes squared away for my first class when he came in the locker room and began bullying me and pushing me around. I warned him to stop and he laughed and continued... big mistake - for him.

One shot to the solar plexus doubled him over and an upper cut sent him a$$ over tea kettle sprawling over a bench...

Occasionally a bully does target the wrong person as I experienced personally back lo those many years ago.

Years back (mid-1960's) I had transferred school districts part way through Grade 8 so I was an unknown as I arrived at my new junior secondary school. I was not tall but I was a tad on the stocky side. And I appeared to be "nerdy".

However I had a reputation that was generally unknown at my new school for rough play in hockey except by a few of my hockey buddies and teammates who also attended the school. I was the penalty minute and fight leader on my rep team and in the top in those categories in my league. I had learned early on not to get pushed around as I was smaller than the average player.

There was a well known bully at my new school who delighted in pushing kids (particularly smaller kids around and as I was smaller and new kid I was fresh meat for him) - he was on his second or third go-round in Grade 8 and was as we called them in those days a "greaser".

I was getting my phys ed clothes squared away for my first class when he came in the locker room and began bullying me and pushing me around. I warned him to stop and he laughed and continued... big mistake - for him.

One shot to the solar plexus doubled him over and an upper cut sent him a$$ over tea kettle sprawling over a bench... just as the phys ed teacher walked in. It so happened that the phys ed teacher was also a local minor hockey coach so he was familiar with my hockey rep.

He stopped and took it all in as the bully got to his feet and began whining about me punching him out. The teacher told him that in future he should not be so clumsy to fall over a bench and that he probably did not want to be telling a unfounded stories as it would make him a laughing stock at the school. Oh yeah and the teacher gave him a detention for not being properly attired for phys ed class. laff.gif

The bully put his tail between his legs and slunk away.

The teacher told me I should watch myself as this guy had a few friends of like attitude. And sure enough a couple of days later on the way to another class I was threatened that he and his friends would see me on the way home after school.

And on the way home that day he followed me with a couple of his friends and began to taunt me. I again warned him and asked him if he had told his buddies how I had dropped him earlier - obviously he had not and they were a little shocked and somewhat wary all of a sudden. As they were screwing up their courage and verbally escalating things I repeated my warning. That provoked the common response of "Yeah you and whose army"?

My response was "How about these guys?"

A couple of my hockey teammates who were well known jocks at this school and one was a year ahead of me in Grade 9 as well as being my defence partner on the hockey team had also followed a bit behind me as I had told them what was likely to go down.

My partner was nicknamed "Big Bad John" as he was about 6'4" and over 200 pounds and in Grade 9 already had 5 o'clock shadow by noon unlike most of us with peach fuzz - he was an imposing physical specimen. Of course what the bullies did not know was that John was pretty much a gentle giant (unlike myself who was a mean SOB when provoked) and it really took a lot to get him riled - his parents had been on him for years to "not hurt the littler kids" due to his size differential. Our hockey coach was constantly on him to use his size and strength to better effect. The only time I saw him lose really his temper was when I was slashed across the face cutting me open for stitches (no shields or face masks in those days)... John really tuned that guy up as I was being taken off the ice.

My teammates stepped in and separated the bully from his buddies - leaving me alone to deal with him. Of course he backed down when it was one on one. But before he left John came up to him and clamped down on his shoulder with one of his huge hands telling him that if he bothered me in any way in future the bully would have to deal with him. I thought the bully was going to void his bladder on the spot.laff.gif

For the rest of that school year any time I saw this guy bullying other students I intervened and he would back off. It did wonders for my rep at the school. grin.gif

The next year the bully was gone from school and the last I heard he had gone on to a career of petty crime and spent a good deal of time incarcerated over the years.

Archived