Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Did you notice AV's subtle move with Manny on the PK?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Has anyone noticed how Kassian isn't going to get any better playing on the 4th line. AV infuriates me

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#32 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nearly all hockey players are stronger at winning a faceoff on their backhand than their forehand.

When a faceoff is taken in the defensive zone, the linseman dropping the puck always positions himself to the outside of the slot, on the side closest to the boards. When the faceoff is on the left side, this works in favour of a left-handed defensive centreman, as his right side is not being obstructed by the linseman, allowing him to attempt to win the faceoff on the backhand.

When the faceoff is on the right side, the linseman obstructs the right side of the defensive centreman. This makes it more difficult to win a faceoff on the backhand.

So yes, it does matter where he takes the faceoff. He is more likely to win a faceoff taken on the left side than the right.

Wow. An intelligent post in Canucks Talk. This deserves recognition.

#33 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Classless. All of you.

Why don't you get your eye poked out before you suggest something like this?

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#34 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ummmm;

Manny is 220 lbs and is being asked to play a defensive role; predominantly against opponents top lines from draws in the defensive end.

Schroeder is 175 lbs. No way AV or any other coach is putting him in to take a draw against Getzlaf in our end, for an important draw. They will be here together for most of the year for completely different roles...

I'm sure Lapierre can take those draws if Manny was scratched, Manny doesn't contribute anything 5 on 5 and brings his line down. What 4th liner doesn't hit?

Schroeder would atleast add some speed and offensive creativity that we lack desperately. I agree that Schroeder shouldn't be up against Getzlaf and stuff and Manny should take those draws, but JS should would be a better option 5 on 5 imo.

Edited by TheGame., 20 January 2013 - 05:48 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#35 LOL_dre

LOL_dre

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Why is everyone hating on Manny now he was 60% in face-offs last night, the best on both the canucks and ducks. He had 2 hits for a tie with Garrison for 4th on on the team. He had a takeaway and played the same amount of pk time as Lapierre and Ebbett combined. He also played about 2mintues 30 seconds less then Henrik.

#36 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

The eye injury is a shame, but he is done, looks like an echl player out there

#37 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

WIth regards to Manny it has been over a season where his play is no longer effective. If he can't dominate face-offs, kill penalties, shut-down top lines or bottle up teams in their end, exactly what is his role that justifies $2.5M?

Okay good point. But the man came back from a terrible eye injury in SCF, then last season he had to get used to his new crazy defensive role. And had probably less than normal work out last offseason before he came back. Now he's had the time to get his workout back to normal, and used to his role. His faceoff work never really suffered much. I don't think he;s worth the 2.5 but I'd like him to stay for cheaper.
Posted Image

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,232 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Why is everyone hating on Manny now he was 60% in face-offs last night, the best on both the canucks and ducks. He had 2 hits for a tie with Garrison for 4th on on the team. He had a takeaway and played the same amount of pk time as Lapierre and Ebbett combined. He also played about 2mintues 30 seconds less then Henrik.

He didn't add anything in the offensive end, but had a better game last night against Edmonton overall. He went 66.7% on faceoffs For our 4th line center, I don't think we can expect a lot more than him being dependable and defensively responsible.

People are just knee-jerking to a loss and looking for anything they can talk loudly about in hopes someone will listen.

EDIT: went and looked for some more faceoff stats, and found some interesting info.

Henrik is leading the league with 55 faceoffs taken, and is at 50.9%
Lapierre and Ebbett have taken 25 each and are at 40% and 44% respectively
Manny's taken the fewest draws of our centers at 24, but is at 62.5% for the season

Small sample sizes, I know, but it's clear Henrik is taking more offensive zone draws in Kesler's absence and Manny is still winning them in his own end. He's even more important now with Kes out.

Edited by elvis15, 21 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#39 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

It is true though that Manny is a shell of his former self.

He's a great guy. He does a lot for the community, is great in the locker room, and has shown a lot of heart over and over again. But he simply doesn't have the tools to be an effective NHL player anymore.

I was really hoping that with a full off season and time to train he was going to be able to compete this year.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#40 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm a great guy and when I fell one story in a construction accident and pretty much lost my job due to injury. I say get fresh healthy bodies in there to hit and grind out garbage goals, sorry Manny and Raymond...btw UBC emergency sucks.

#41 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Been drinking the Gino kool-aid?
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#42 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

There's your answer right there.

Really? You mean we shouldn't wave him?

60% of the people on CDC got their first taste of hockey game 2 of the SCF

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#43 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm a great guy and when I fell one story in a construction accident and pretty much lost my job due to injury. I say get fresh healthy bodies in there to hit and grind out garbage goals, sorry Manny and Raymond...btw UBC emergency sucks.

I'm sure you are

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#44 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

You do realize a good faceoff percentage is only 55% or more. Even the best players lose almost half of the faceoffs they take. What are Malhotra's numbers again..?

Threads like this only serve to prove how little the OP actually understands hockey.

#45 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

If this sort of play keeps up then it's time to scratch Malhotra. As much as that would suck to see, it's reality.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise

Assuming Schroeder earns that roster spot, and everybody else is healthy, I think this would be a pretty beast set of forward lines.

#46 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

oh.. he's a good guy, well then, better keep him around!

:/

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.