The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A decision has to be made, quick!

RyanKeslord17

They can't go on much longer icing two great goalies that should both be starters. Management has to decide on one goalie and move forward. I'm not saying by any stretch that Schneider will continue to play like that every game if Luongo is here, but he will constantly have it in the back of his mind. Every goal Schneider lets in, he'll be looking to the bench to see if Roberto is coming in.

It's not the same for Schneider anymore. A decision was made last playoffs that Schneider is supposedly our go to guy, and we locked him up for the next 3 years. The pressure is much higher this year, and having Luongo on the bench is a nice option for us, but for Cory, it is probably a nightmare. If we get an actual back-up, he can relax a little, and know that all our faith is truly on him.

Also, say Luongo comes in and gets a shutout tonight, or plays absolutely amazing, AV will continue to play him, like he said, the better goalie plays. This decreases Schneider's confidence completely. I know Luongo and Cory have nothing against one and other, and they are supportive for each other, but inside, Lu wants his job back, whether it's here or elsewhere.

Trade one of the two, preferably Luongo, as we have already made a decision once already to trade Lu.

They can't go on much longer icing two great goalies that should both be starters. Management has to decide on one goalie and move forward. I'm not saying by any stretch that Schneider will continue to play like that every game if Luongo is here, but he will constantly have it in the back of his mind. Every goal Schneider lets in, he'll be looking to the bench to see if Roberto is coming in.

It's not the same for Schneider anymore. A decision was made last playoffs that Schneider is supposedly our go to guy, and we locked him up for the next 3 years. The pressure is much higher this year, and having Luongo on the bench is a nice option for us, but for Cory, it is probably a nightmare. If we get an actual back-up, he can relax a little, and know that all our faith is truly on him.

Also, say Luongo comes in and gets a shutout tonight, or plays absolutely amazing, AV will continue to play him, like he said, the better goalie play. This decreases Schneider's confidence completely. I know Luongo and Cory have nothing against one and other, and they are supportive for each other, but inside, Lu wants his job back, whether it's here or elsewhere.

Trade one of the two, preferably Luongo, as we have already made a decision once already to trade Lu.

Wow you guys really need to keep away from the panic button. It's been 1 game, that's it.

And if you're really going to try and use this as motivation to trade Lu, that's just crazy. If you think Cory can't handle the pressure of Luongo, how do you expect him to handle the pressure of winning a cup?

Keep them both here until one proves they can handle the job alone.

How can having 2 good goalies be bad? what they don't need is having to pull your goalie everynight. only 1 game and the bandwagoners are already jumping off. typical Vancouver fans.

IMO having a highly paid guy like luongo on the bench is not good business sense. so a deal needs to be done but Van needs to get a solid D and a 2nd line centre and a draft pick

I'd rather see the team hold all cards until the trade deadline. that's when teams overpay and get fleeced for spare parts, what do you think a luongo would command in terms of return at the trade deadline? A top six forward, a blue chip propect and a 1st? Maybe something even better... Patience...

Also, say Luongo comes in and gets a shutout tonight, or plays absolutely amazing, AV will continue to play him, like he said, the better goalie plays. This decreases Schneider's confidence completely. I know Luongo and Cory have nothing against one and other, and they are supportive for each other, but inside, Lu wants his job back, whether it's here or elsewhere.

Here's the deal - I believe a decision was likely made but, until you find the right trading partner, you can't force things to happen with other teams. I like that patience has been exercised in not allowing the predicament to render an emergency or urgent status that has us getting the raw end of a deal. Lu is a valuable commodity and other teams would pry on any desperation to "get it done" in trying to give us less in return than what he command. Until the right thing comes along for everyone involved, we aren't forced to do anything and can sit back with a pretty solid goaltender tandem. The guys have already likely gotten used to this rather awkward situation so, for now at least, it is what it is.

People speak as if we are the only interested party and can simply "do" this, but we can't. We have to find a team that is willing to negotiate a fair and reasonable deal and, until that happens, nothing is happening (despite it being best that it does).

Teams will become more desperate as their own goaltenders falter....then the values increase. Right now, not so much.....

To RKL:

So, basically, he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after ONE game? Man, that speaks a lot about his confidence in Schneider. To risk the possibility of being yanked in back to back games is ridiculous. If he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after only one game, we've got a huge problem here.

It appears to have NOTHING to do with this ("picking" one over the other) at all....it's actually a team, sticking to their gameplan and is NOT decided on a fly by night basis. Back to backs and each goaltender was to be assigned a start....that actually makes it easier in that no feathers are ruffled because it's not a matter of choosing one over the other, it was a game plan already in place. I had the same thinking as you, until I heard AV's interview and realized that it made sense.

So, basically, he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after ONE game? Man, that speaks a lot about his confidence in Schneider. To risk the possibility of being yanked in back to back games is ridiculous. If he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after only one game, we've got a huge problem here.

Archived