The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A decision has to be made, quick!

RyanKeslord17

Uhhhh...WTF??? Pulling your starter in favour of the backup against LA was pretty much the writing on the wall. Yes the decision has been made.

Uhhhh...No. LOL.

Fact is, we have two elite goaltenders: Luongo and Schneider. Fact is, our coach will play whoever that will win us games - that is either Luongo or Schneider - whoever is playing better. Currently, Schneider has the upper edge because he last started for us in the playoffs over Luongo. But nothing is written on the wall yet, and no decision has been made.

It may seem to you that this goaltending controversy is an entirely unique situation befallen to the Canucks. Not so. You only need to look to the 2011 Stanley Cup championship team to know that it isn't, and it is never written on the wall.

Tim Thomas was the undisputed starter in 2009, but lost the starting job the younger talented Tuukka Rask in 2010. Many people in Boston wanted Thomas out, for he was old and had a relatively high cap hit that could have been utilized to build a championship team around Rask. Boston's GM Chiarelli held put, and Thomas won the starting job back from Rask in 2011 and never looked back, winning the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina.

We have not come to a decision. We have two elite goaltenders who will battle for the #1 job. Schneider played in last season's playoffs because he was the best chance we had. Right now? That can't be said.

The "Schneider is the undisputed #1" crap is the simplified explanation that the media feeds down the less-informed fans' throats, and hence the majority of our fans think Schneider is the #1. Not so. Not yet. Our situation is and always will be "The best goaltender plays".

Not surprised Luongo is playing. Schneider could've stood on his head, bailed out the D and gotten a shutout last night and I'm sure they still would've played Luongo tonight. To play back-to-back nights with no preseason and a quick training camp is asking a lot out of your body. Groin pull is probably on the goalie radar right now, especially since they are on the ice for (mostly) 60 minutes.

I'm still worried about other key players in the lineup pushing too hard too quickly, but at least no one really pushed too hard after the 1st period last night outside of the crease ;)

I guess i must be a "less-informed fan" but hey whatever you say! Its a fact right? You seem to know exactly what's going on in the dressing room. We'll see who's here next season that's all i gotta say. Oh and Boston situation and our situation are nothing alike.. Boston wasn't shopping Thomas all summer. We can agree to disagree cause i really don't give a flying frack with arguing back and fourth on the internet.

I'd rather just get Mckinnon in the draft. I doubt even if we finished last in the league that we would get him, but maybe we could trade up I dono. I'm not saying the canucks are done this season by any means, just thinking we need talented young players for the future, be nice to get two first rounders this year :)

Yes, you are:

Last line of this article:

Of course, opinions are opinions, and we can agree to disagree as to where we stand on how we see the current goaltending situation. However, I guess we can agree on one thing: you don't have things to back up the things that you say, but I do.

hold on now bleacher report is a legitimate source??? LOL. Oh the Bruins "considered" trading Thomas? Sure.. Its still day and night from the Luongo situation get real. Like i said before we'll see whos here next season and that person will be schneider.

So, basically, he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after ONE game? Man, that speaks a lot about his confidence in Schneider. To risk the possibility of being yanked in back to back games is ridiculous. If he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after only one game, we've got a huge problem here.

Archived