Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Five shot dead in Albuquerque, teen charged

By Zelie Pollon | Reuters – 3 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.co...-192338159.html

SANTA FE, New Mexico (Reuters) - A teenage boy with several weapons including an assault rifle shot and killed five people, three of them children, at a house in Albuquerque, New Mexico, authorities said on Sunday.

The boy, whose exact age had yet to be determined, was arrested and charged with the killings which took place late Saturday night, said Aaron Williamson, a Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department deputy.

"The victims all had multiple gunshot wounds, and there appeared to be multiple weapons, including an assault type weapon," Williamson said.

The children appeared to be "elementary- to middle-school age," Williamson said. The boy was charged with two counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death, he said.

He said it had not been determined whether the weapons were from inside the house or brought from somewhere else.

It also was not yet clear whether the five people killed were related or what the relationship was between the teen and the victims.

The nation remains on edge about gun violence after a man killed 20 schoolchildren and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school in December using an assault rifle, sparking a renewed debate about gun control.

President Barack Obama has proposed a new assault weapons ban and mandatory background checks for all gun buyers, and New York on Tuesday broadened its assault weapons ban and restricted the allowed capacity for ammunition magazines.

Several other states also are considering whether to tighten gun controls.

The use of assault weapons is legal in New Mexico, although state lawmakers are considering bills that would tighten gun control laws and require background checks for nearly anyone buying a firearm.

(Reporting by Zelie Pollon; Editing by David Bailey, Ellen Wulfhorst and Cynthia Osterman)

Edited by dudeone, 20 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#2 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

We need to arm the guns! :frantic:
Follow me on twitter @RealStamkos91

#3 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Until we arm our children AND teach them to shoot first and ask questions later, we will continue to see this senseless and wanton "child abuse causing death" .. :picard:
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#4 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,594 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

INB4 Videogames get blamed.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

INB4 the NRA says it's a hoax.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hate to say it but, I'm getting a little jaded and that worries me. Media overload.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#7 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hate to say it but, I'm getting a little jaded and that worries me. Media overload.

I think it's a good thing.

Organizations like the NRA downplay the dangers of guns to mislead the public so that it suits their own agenda - making $$$.

News coverage should help rally the public to destroy that kind of corruption in society. Too often that gun deaths in crime-ridden cities been downplayed because it wasn't considered a 'political issue'.

That being said, the media is only doing what it is has always wanted to do - make $$$. Sometimes their values aligns at certain time junctures if it suits our agenda.

It concludes that everyone has an agenda. And we are doomed as a species.

Edited by Dazzle, 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#8 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ban teenage boys.

#9 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Ban teenage boys.

If only we could ..

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Solution: Moar gunz.
Posted Image

#11 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Alright! Another gun thread!

#12 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Damn, looks like Walter Jr went off the deep end...

#13 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

So a kid STOLE a gun and used it. I guess we need more regulations for the rest of the adult, law-abiding gun owners.... :rolleyes:

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

So a kid STOLE a gun and used it. I guess we need more regulations for the rest of the adult, law-abiding gun owners.... :rolleyes:

Secure your weapons or be held accountable for their use .. simple really .. how many folks would have a house full of unsecured guns if they were held accountable for them??

#15 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

That's exactly the ass-backwards argument being put forth, and it's the people who follow the law that get punished the most.

The path of least resistance (i.e. the normal law abiding citizen) gets bent over for those politically motivated to punish them for the act of criminals.

Edited by zaibatsu, 21 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#16 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

STOLE?? Where did you get that from? And this could well have been an even bigger bloodbath as he was intending to head off to the local Walmart shopping mall and begin shooting.

According to reports he used firearms sitting around the family home that were not stored securely.

The motive for the horrific slayings were still unclear, but the paper said the home-schooled teen had had a "minor disagreement" with his mom Sarah Griego Friday night.

He waited for her to fall asleep, and then is believed to have helped himself to his parents’ guns, including an AR-15 assault rifle and a .22 caliber pistol.

They’d been kept in a closet, and not in a safe, the report said.

At around 1 a.m., the gun-toting goon crept into his mom’s room and shot her, the report said.

The shooting woke up Griego's 9-year-old brother Zephania, who'd been in bed with the mom. Griego told the boy what he'd just done — and then shot him "multiple times," the report said.

The sounds of violence roused Griego's 2- and 5-year-old sisters, Angelina and Jael, who started screaming before their big brother killed them, too.

Griego then laid in wait for his father, pastor Greg Griego, and gunned him down when he walked in around 6 a.m., the report said.

And further information was that he was loading up the van and intending to head to a shopping mall and engage the police but was stopped.

It could have been even worse.

The New Mexico teen accused of gunning down his younger siblings, his mom and his pastor father reportedly planned on continuing his killing spree at a local Walmart.

The teen then called his unidentified friend and told him about his plan to continue the killing at Walmart, but the friend convinced him to go to his father’s old church, the Calvary Chapel, the paper said.

While there, he reportedly told a guard his family had been killed. The guard drove the teen to Griego’s house in South Valley, and called 911 when he saw the pastor’s dead body, the report said.

http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz2Ieqc6epU

Edited by Wetcoaster, 21 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#17 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

That's exactly the ass-backwards argument being put forth, and it's the people who follow the law that get punished the most.

The path of least resistance (i.e. the normal law abiding citizen) gets bent over for those politically motivated to punish them for the act of criminals.

These constant referrals to a "head in the sand" posture makes me wonder ..

#18 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Killers were all law abiding citizens before they shot up people too. The goal is to prevent the average law abiding citizen from being able to do massive amounts of harm. I don't trust anybody with a gun, so the more rules the better.

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

According to reports the father was an ex-gang member who had served time in prison before turning his life around and becoming a pastor.

I thought ex-cons were not allowed to be in possession of firearms?

Responsible gun owners do not leave weapons unsecured. In this case there were young children in the house and the teen was reported to have had murder/suicide fantasies.

Sources told the paper the teen had long had murder/suicide fantasies.

Neighbors said they’d often seen Nehemiah walking around in Army fatigues. Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/n-m-teen-accused-killing-family-quiet-article-1.1243888#ixzz2IeveOfT8

Easy access to guns (as here) means more gun violence and more gun homicides as study after study shows. And knowing the teen's predilections the guns were not securely stored.

But keep with the threadbare NRA talking points.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#20 Mastaj

Mastaj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

According to reports the father was an ex-gang member who had served time in prison before turning his life around and becoming a pastor.

I thought ex-cons were not allowed to be in possession of firearms?

Responsible gun owners do not leave weapons unsecured. In this case there were young children in the house and the teen was reported to have had murder/suicide fantasies.

Sources told the paper the teen had long had murder/suicide fantasies.

Neighbors said they’d often seen Nehemiah walking around in Army fatigues. Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television.

http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz2IeveOfT8

Easy access to guns (as here) means more gun violence and more gun homicides as study after study shows. And knowing the teen's predilections the guns were not securely stored.

But keep with the threadbare NRA talking points.

This exactly. But it's near pointless - despite the evidence, the constant violence, the death of children - the gun supporters just fall back on the "it's my second amendment right". Yes, we get that - our question is, why after all these deaths do you not feel the need for some change to it? Oh, right - those deaths are just the cost of Freedom (because hey - it wasn't YOUR child who died, right?).

I give up on arguing with them.
Go Banana!!
-Ralph Wiggum

#21 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

This exactly. But it's near pointless - despite the evidence, the constant violence, the death of children - the gun supporters just fall back on the "it's my second amendment right". Yes, we get that - our question is, why after all these deaths do you not feel the need for some change to it? Oh, right - those deaths are just the cost of Freedom (because hey - it wasn't YOUR child who died, right?).

I give up on arguing with them.

because they are more afraid of the government (today) than the government of 10 years ago. About the only way you'd see massive gun regulation approved is if a right wing conservative was the one to approve it or create it (because they NEVER do things to remove peoples rights.) Look at the Patriot Act and the things it changed in late 2001... republican/conservative president and one of the two houses of congress (I will admit that both sides approved of it mostly.) And THAT (if abused) could be just as (if not more) frightening if the government abuses it's power. What could also support this idea is that yes you do hear about the whole 2nd amendment issue come up after every mass shooting... before Obama even gave his speech last week, people were staying how he wanted to "take all the guns away from us" when nothing has really changed between Bush and Obama in terms of gun regulation (that I can think of off the top of my head.)

at least that's my view of it (based on discussions I've had with some people.)

#22 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

In a somewhat ironical or even macabre twist outside the Griego house a warning via a security-style sign saying:

"Protected by Smith & Wesson Security Services."

http://www.stamforda...p#ixzz2IvjMAQCM

And how did that work out???

The law enforcement authorities are releasing more information about the shootings.

The mother and three children were shot with a .22 calibre rifle and the father was shot later as he returned home with a .223 calibre AR-15 rifle. Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston said in addition to the two rifles, there were two 12-gauge pistol-grip shotguns in the home in a closet and Griego's father had taught him to use guns, and they shot together on a regular basis.

It also turns out that he had planned the killings for a period of time and had apparently discussed the plans with some of his peers as he was frustrated with his mother. After the shootings he texted a picture of his dead mother to his 12 year old girlfriend and then spent time with her and her family. His initial plan after the family shootings was to go to a local mall and randomly shoot people.

The police have investigated the girl and decided not to lay charges against her:

Griego then spent the rest of Sunday with the girl and her family, according to police.

Griego and his girlfriend eventually went to Calvary Church in Albuquerque around 8 p.m. Sunday, nearly 18 hours after the spree began. There, Griego told church members his family had died in a car accident, prompting a church member to call police.

Police said Tuesday they were investigating whether the girl could face charges in connection with the crimes, but said today she would not.

"She has just been interviewed and she will not be facing any charges," Deputy Aaron Williamson, spokesman for the sheriff's office.

Investigators who went directly to Griego's house found the five family members dead at the home. Griego was found with a .22 rifle, an AR-15 rifle, two shotguns, and rifle ammunition in his van around the same time. After initially denying to police that he had anything to do with the murders, he admitted to killing the family members out of "frustration" with his mother.

He also told police he planned to shoot up a Walmart after killing his family, and that he also planned to kill his girlfriend's parents.

http://abcnews.go.co...singlePage=true

Police released further information:

For at least a week, 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego had been planning the attack, authorities said.

After shooting his mother and three siblings in their beds, he ambushed his father as the pastor returned home from an overnight shift at a homeless shelter.

Then the teen reloaded the family’s rifles.

His plan was to randomly shoot people at a Wal-Mart on Saturday, which happened to be “Guns Across America” day, until he could be killed in a shootout with law enforcement, according to authorities.

He also contemplated killing his 12-year-old girlfriend’s parents, Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston said Tuesday.

And while Griego loaded guns and ammunition into the family’s van, Houston said, it was unclear whether the teen did go to a Wal-Mart or how seriously he contemplated continuing his rampage on the same day that thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully at state capitals around the country to rally against stricter limits on firearms.

The “Guns Across America” events were held after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.

[…]

The boy’s uncle, Eric Griego [a former New Mexico state Senator], said in an emailed statement on behalf of the family that the teen is “bright, curious and incredibly talented” with a love of music and sports.

“It is clear to those of us who know and love him that something went terribly wrong. Whether it was a mental breakdown or some deeper undiagnosed psychological issue, we can’t be sure yet,” the statement said.

[…]

Eric Griego’s statement said the family had “differing views on gun rights and gun control” and asked the media “to not use Nehemiah as a pawn for ratings or to score political points.

“He is a troubled young man who made a terrible decision that will haunt him and his family forever.”

http://www.lcsun-new...amily-shootings

#23 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ban teenage boys.

And make the Cougar's of the world suffer....NO~!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.