The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Compliance Buyout

Skrody

Hear me out.

According to Cap Geek, the Canucks will sit at $60,403,333 which leaves the Canucks just under $4m to resign or fill the void left by: Malhotra, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Weise, Ebbett, Vandermeer, Volpatti, Alberts, Tanev and Barker.

If by chance we cannot trade Luongo I have a feeling they will use the buy out on him, but thats not the point of this post.

Looking at the other options for buyout (reasonable options):

Keith Ballard (2 years remaining at $4.2m cap hit) - it's this posters opinion that we are paying too much for Ballards production, but its not a contract we signed him to. He is on the bottom pairing and doesn't get the same trust as the top 4, and it is such an overpayment for a 6th defenseman.

David Booth (2 years remaining at $4.25m cap hit) - another project for us to regain his skill by pairing him with Kesler, but with his injury problems this is too much money to put into a top 6 forward.

(by the way, when I am noting their contract this is as of the 2013-2014 season, including said season)

Those two contracts are easily targeted in my opinion for Compliance buyouts, but at the same time, one more season with those contracts aren't that bad and is manageable. I would like to throw a wild card in there and get the opinion of Canucks fans.

Alex Burrows. (4 years remaining at $4.5m cap hit) - I absolutely love Burrows, and this contract was a reward for his hard work + him taking a hometown discount. He is our top line guy but this contract is far too much for his output in my opinion. Zack Kassian has stepped up and will eventually take on more shifts with the Sedins. Honestly, Burrows at $4.5m cap hit will handicap the team going forward.

What do you think?

I think we might be able to trade both Ballard and Luongo this off season (at the deadline if we're out of the play off picture). If not then we should buy out Ballard and Booth and keep Luongo. Goalies will help us more then picks or the $1M in cap space right now.

That being said if Ballard or Booth play like a $4M player we should consider keeping them and dumping Luongo.

I imagine MG hasn't finished tinkering with this team. I would expect a trade or two once he sees how the team is doing and how key players are progressing with their rehab. This team could look very different from now come the playoffs. It will certainly have some new players by the start of next season.

• 3 months later...

Archived