The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison = Ehrhoff

Ugli Fruit

As of right now I'd personally prefer Erhoff over Garrison. All of our D is mostly defensive minded except for Edler and Garrison has only had 1 very good season. 16 goals and 17 assists last year, the goal total is impressive but there is a possibility that everything just went his way last season. There is no way to say for sure as of right now but he might have just gotten lucky. I'd be more sold on Garrison if his assist total from last year was higher.

It blows me away how fast fans can turn on a guy like Ehrhoff on CDC. Does no one realize that the fast paced breakouts, smooth stretch passing, and puck carrying ability that drove our offense the year we went to the finals has not yet been replaced since Ehrhoff left? Garrison doesn't replace it, nor Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev, etc. Ballard is probably the closest to having that type of game but we will never see it in VAN.

Ehrhoff was not as bad defensively as people pretend he was either. Edler left him hanging out to dry A TON.....just like he is doing to Garrison now.

I am not even his biggest fan but it pisses me off how CDC blames one guy or jumps on them constantly after they leave while loving them while they are here. Keeping Bieksa/Ballard and letting Ehrhoff go was a massive blunder.

LMAO at this thread ! Garrison has already proven himself that is why Gillis signed him. Ehrhoff wanted more Benjamins that is why he is in Buffalo(Not taking anything away from his skill or time he spent with us) but I would take garrison over Erhoff on the simple fact he is way more solid defensively and that is truly what this team needs.....and scoring ...and no goalie controversy...and more scoring.

Too early to say, but from what I have seen from Garrison I like, he does jump into the PP and looks pretty dangerous out there too, his shots are howitzers so it is only a matter of time

Erhoff is someone I definitely miss, he just matched up so well with the Sedins on the PP unit, something he does not have in Buffalo, he just had some really good offensive instincts and a great ability to bring the puck up the ice, man those videos brought back some good memories

It is not a coincidence that the Sedins were PPG players before and immediately after Ehrhoff but were 100 point guys when he was here.

CDC can say all they want he rode the Sedins coattails but he added something significant to their success those years as well......

A couple of things:

1. I never said anything about accuracy. A big slapshot refers to how hard and fast it is. Ehrhoff's slapshot is not as big as Edler or Garrison's.

2. Garrison made it into the league on his defence, and he stayed here on the merits of how good he is. 2 years ago he was ranked the second best defender behind Hamhuis in the league and played on the top shutdown pairing for Florida.

If you want to base the abilities of a player on 2 games with a new team, then you're either going to constantly be overvaluing players or undervaluing them.

Too early to say, but from what I have seen from Garrison I like, he does jump into the PP and looks pretty dangerous out there too, his shots are howitzers so it is only a matter of time

Erhoff is someone I definitely miss, he just matched up so well with the Sedins on the PP unit, something he does not have in Buffalo, he just had some really good offensive instincts and a great ability to bring the puck up the ice, man those videos brought back some good memories

Ehrhoff was the first real puckmover on our team in a long long time. He DID help the team out more then people think. We had a defense of Mitchell, Bieksa, Salo, Edler, O'Brien and Ohlund when he came... He helped change teams play style which opted Gillis to target smooth skating defenseman such as Hamhuis, Ballard and Garrison. His influence on the Canucks was fairly significant.

Ehrhoff was a great defensemen for us but the two are very different and can't be compared in that regard. If I had to compare, I'd say Ehrhoff is like Daniel while Garrison is like Kes (not withstanding the obvious forward and defense difference). Ehrhoff has great offensive abilities and decent defensively while Garrison is more a two way type player who focuses on defense but has an offensive upside.

Also, Ehrhoff has a crazy accurate shot while Garrison just let's it rip with velocity. But defensively Ehrhoff was weak on the body and often relied on getting his stick in the way while Garrison plays the body. Two totally different types of players.

Strange thread.

= in what sense? Equally good perhaps, but entirely different.

Ehrhoff moved the puck superbly, and his second greatest strength had nothing to do with the velocity of his shot, it was that he got his shot through consistently, and on goal, which can wreak havoc for goaltenders trying to deal with the redirections and tip in. Kesler in particular benefitted when parked in front of the crease. Ehrhoff also wasn't that bad defensively, it's just that he depended on the stick check a lot, and is more of a 'finesse' defender. His skating was an asset in retrieving and moving dump ins before the forecheck could close the gap on him. He was also highly maligned for his play against Boston, but that imo was unfair criticism - with Hamhius out, and Rome suspended, AV was forced to use Ehrhoff in a lot of situations that were far less than ideal or suited to his role, and Ehrhoff looked like he had a shoulder problem, which may have silently factored in to the Canucks reluctance to go the distance in the bidding war.. I like Ehrhoff - I have no problem with him taking the insane term (especially for the type of player he is) and going to Buffalo, but I do like to fire back at his comment that he left because he wants to win a Cup. That was slightly ass-inine, but still, was a good Canuck.

Garrison is simply incomparable - as so many posters have pointed out, he is so different that it's hard to imagine the OP has any idea of the kind of player he is. He's played about 40 minutes in Vancouver - we can try to find a imperfect instant or two, but are really stretching to pretend he's not an outstanding defensive blueliner. He's very efficient down low behind his own net, he has looked a lot better than the OP suggests, and he's going to get more and more comfortable. Edler sure looks comfortable playing with him. I lean towards the defense-first, two way player, so I am thrilled with the Garrison acquisition.

Archived