The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's inconsistency and Ballard replacement

MarchandSucks

Am I the only one to notice this? On his goal, he made a great defensive play to set that up. But he was caught completely flat-footed on the Eberle goal. As for Ballard, he's bad. No other way to put it. Vandermeer, Barker and Alberts are all very capable defensemen, they all have got to be better than him.

Edler looks nervous in the defensive zone defendign the rush without Salo. He needs a calming influence, and what better a calming influence than Tanev.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Ballard/Vandemeer

Ballard and Garrison have played in Florida together so may have some chemistry, one being a physical guy the other a free wheeling skater. If not, we could just have two giant monsters on our 3rd pairing. Each pairing gets as close to 20 minutes as possible, but obviously our special team units remain.

While I agree that Edler is inconsistent, but so is Shea Weber. He made great defensive plays against the Canucks during the 2011 cup run, but was shamed by Kesler on more than one occasion.

Edler will have this season to prove himself to Gillis. If not I could see him being part of a major trade involving the other aforementioned defenseman.

As for Ballard, yeah he made that HORRIBLE pass that almost ended up in a goal, but Bieksa has made the very same mistakes except they were in the neutral zone.

My feeling is Ballard more than likely going to finish this season on a different team.

Edler looks nervous in the defensive zone defendign the rush without Salo. He needs a calming influence, and what better a calming influence than Tanev.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Ballard/Vandemeer

Ballard and Garrison have played in Florida together so may have some chemistry, one being a physical guy the other a free wheeling skater. If not, we could just have two giant monsters on our 3rd pairing. Each pairing gets as close to 20 minutes as possible, but obviously our special team units remain.

And I believe that Daniel was looking for a penalty after tripping.

It's just two games in, though. Frankly, tonight was a great game. Both teams played well. Both made sloppy plays and both made brilliant plays. Shtuff happens. Edmonton has a good young team, and as much as I would like to punch Taylor Hall in the face, they were good. So were the Canucks. Kassian was a beast tonight.

Nice to see some fans notice things go both ways for Edler finally. Like i always say we almost always see the good and bad Edler every game his consistency is not good enough.

Tonight is a usual night with the Norris style intercepted pass and hard snipe for the goal then turnstyled by Eberle taking a penalty then walked around again on the Eberle goal and several other small miscues.

Against the Ducks he was the same good plays and bad miscues. I have been watching this inconsistent play for years now and it's getting tiring.

Hopefully one day he will really get his act together because we are stuck with whatever he is for a while.

Archived