The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A thread for knowledgable hockey fans only

vcr1970

For those of you who want to fire and make trades after 2 games, please don't post in here.

For those who think anyone on the Canucks cannot be criticized and are better than every other player on any other team, just because they are Canucks, please don't post here.

For those of you who think Luongo isn't any good just because he's likely going to be traded, even though he was labelled as the "best goalie on the planet" for the many, many years, please don't post here.

I just want this thread to be for rational people who can actually lend insight into questions people ask.

Feel free to ask any questions you want, but my question is this:

The lines don't seem to be working too well through the first two games. The Sedins are a lock for first line minutes and will come around, but out of the gate, they aren't as dominant as usual.

What 4 sets of lines and 3 sets of D would you put on the ice if you could choose from what we have at the moment, including anyone in the farm system?

I actually made a thread about the lineup issues, but it was 10 minutes before game time so it kinda got brushed off.

/topic/338690-should-we-frontload-the-lineup-temporarily/page__p__11078027#entry11078027">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/338690-should-we-frontload-the-lineup-temporarily/page__p__11078027#entry11078027

We should try and load all our scoring assets on the top 6 instead of balancing our top 9 because we don't have any secondary scoring.

Thought we were the better team tonight, 5 on 5 we were better, they had the advantage in special teams which cost us. We had a big improvement though so im not worried.

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Lu

Thats the lineup I hope to see

Line-Up

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian

Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malholtra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Luongo

Schneider

Explanation:

-We need to stack up our top line because we are not getting any secondary scoring so we need to keep a line that we KNOW can score together

-Schroeder and Kassian may very well end up playing together in the future, why not allow them to develop chemistry now? (Does anyone know if they played together on the Wolves?) Kassian's size can balance out Schroeder's size and Higgins can set a good example for them (hard-worker)

-Speedy, speedy line that can shut down opponents while being an offensive threat.

-Not the best fourth line, but they can hit and wear down players.

-Hamhuis and Bieksa need to be told that they are our SHUT DOWN pair and not the next Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang, then, they should be fine.

-From what I have noticed so far, Garrison and Edler have played well together and I think Garrison (who is a talented shut down d-man) can make up for Edler's mistakes

-Ballard and Tanev have amazing chemistry and I noticed numerous times tonight where Tanev covered for Ballard and vice versa. Keep them together so they improve their chemistry.

-We can sub in Vandermeer or Barker when we face a tougher, intimidating team or to rest our players against weaker teams.

-Just an FYI, I am not basing this on one game. I have always believed in Luongo and I think that he can win the starting job back. For now, Luongo and Schneider should have at most a 50/50 split so Schneider can be eased into the number 1 role if MG really wants Luongo out of town. We have both goalies, so why not use them? This is going to be a shortened and condensed season so we will need our goalies to be fresh and ready to dominate in the playoffs. (Although I think that Luongo does better when he is given a big workload - see Luongo's early seasons as a Canuck)

I would change things up a bit.

Weise - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lappy - Hansen

Raymond - Manny - Volpatti

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Vandermeer - Tanev

Lu/Schneider (TBD)

I think Weise deserves a shot on the 2nd line. MayRay needs to be demoted. I'd try out Schroeder in place of Ebbett at least for a few games to see what happens when placed with a guy like Weise who can forecheck and a guy like Burrows who can run interference/get open in the slot. I think Ballard proved tonight he doesn't really deserve to be in the D's top 6, so give Vandermeer a shot.

I like the idea of keeping Kassian out with the Sedins, even when Kesler and Booth come back. It would be nice for someone on the ice to stick up for the Sedins, especially in the playoffs.

I didn't get to watch the game tonight but did AV end up putting Kassian on the power play with the Sedins? Having a big body that's hard to move is a huge advantage and opens up space along the side board for the Sedins. When Kesler comes back leave him on the second line power play, we need a skilled natural centre on the power play anyways.

Thought we were the better team tonight, 5 on 5 we were better, they had the advantage in special teams which cost us. We had a big improvement though so im not worried.

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Lu

Thats the lineup I hope to see

The knee jerk/bandwagon jumpers need to relax and give their head a shake. It's only 2 games into the season, so there really isn't any need to panic. We all know by now that this team is slow starter, this is old news. It normally takes this team 10-15 games to be in top form, and that is with Kesler in the lineup.

The obvious move they should make is put Schroeder in as the 2nd line center. But knowing AV, that wont happen for at least 6 more games of Ebbett struggling.

Archived