The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ebbet on the second line experiment is over, Schroeder needs to be called up

LindenTheLegend

I have nothing against Ebbett, he plays hard, but he is jsut too out of place on the seocnd line. He cant win puck battles, and alot of his passes are missing. Schroeder on the other hand is know for playing in the corners and making nice clean passes. We saw tonight that when Kassian is put with someone who can help set him up he will score. Also if we bring Schroeder up we have a right hand centre for offensive zone faceoffs, (no offence Lappy). That leaves us with two right hand centres and two land hand cenres. On for each side and zone of the ice.

(Just posted this in the PGT thread, but this thread seems more sutible so I will re-post it here: )

Schroeder needs to play with Raymond again.

Schroeder has the dynamic speed, skill and elusiveness to carry the puck and set someone up which is precisely what he did in the scrimmage with Raymond.

Raymond shouldn't be the guy carrying the puck into the zone cause all he does is drive wide, stop up at the half boards then fall down/get pinned up and lose it.

Raymond has shown he can't use his speed effectively like Booth does so he should just be the trigger man, he has to use his speed to get into areas to shoot, and Schroeder is the guy that needs to carry the puck through the N-zone, into the offensive zone and make the play, I don't think Ebbett is capable of it myself.

Time to call JS up.

^^ Everyone i think agrees with that notion, but management doesnt lol.

It'll be an intresting 2 day break, does MG cave in and trade Luongo for some offensive help or does he wait and risk the team digging itself a bigger hole to climb out of.

(Just posted this in the PGT thread, but this thread seems more sutible so I will re-post it here: )

Schroeder needs to play with Raymond again.

Schroeder has the dynamic speed, skill and elusiveness to carry the puck and set someone up which is precisely what he did in the scrimmage with Raymond.

Raymond shouldn't be the guy carrying the puck into the zone cause all he does is drive wide, stop up at the half boards then fall down/get pinned up and lose it.

Raymond has shown he can't use his speed effectively like Booth does so he should just be the trigger man, he has to use his speed to get into areas to shoot, and Schroeder is the guy that needs to carry the puck through the N-zone, into the offensive zone and make the play, I don't think Ebbett is capable of it myself.

Time to call JS up.

I have nothing against Ebbett, he plays hard, but he is jsut too out of place on the seocnd line. He cant win puck battles, and alot of his passes are missing. Schroeder on the other hand is know for playing in the corners and making nice clean passes. We saw tonight that when Kassian is put with someone who can help set him up he will score. Also if we bring Schroeder up we have a right hand centre for offensive zone faceoffs, (no offence Lappy). That leaves us with two right hand centres and two land hand cenres. On for each side and zone of the ice.

Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen or Weise would work. That's 3 very speedy guys who are on the same page and would attack off the rush well together.

That's why Raymond had so much success with Kesler 2 seasons ago - both players used their speed well together, and they had Samuelsson as the trailing shooter often. Kesler's speed definately slowed down after his hip surgery, and now Raymond is skating with a sluggish Ebbett and Kassian.

To unleash Raymond he needs to be on a speedy line, simple. Schroeder is the only one in this whole organization who will complement him well.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Higgins - Hansen

Raymond - Schroeder - Weise

Volpatti - Lapierre - Malhotra

Suddenly each line has a purpose. Top line is cycle-scoring, 2nd line is scoring from grinding and forechecking, 3rd line is scoring from speed (but Weise brings toughness as well to protect the other 2) and 4th line is purely hitting and defence. Much better compared to the random alignments we have right now.

Sign Jason Arnott!

Play him with Burrows and Raymond until Kes & Booth are back, and then play him as a 4th line center with the ability to move up. At least he has the size, he put up 30+ points last year, has wore a C or A 7 seasons in his career. Ebbett is just dominated physically and Raymond on his line just emphasizes the issue.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Arnott - Burrows

Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen or Weise would work. That's 3 very speedy guys who are on the same page and would attack off the rush well together.

That's why Raymond had so much success with Kesler 2 seasons ago - both players used their speed well together, and they had Samuelsson as the trailing shooter often. Kesler's speed definately slowed down after his hip surgery, and now Raymond is skating with a sluggish Ebbett and Kassian.

To unleash Raymond he needs to be on a speedy line, simple. Schroeder is the only one in this whole organization who will complement him well.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Higgins - Hansen

Raymond - Schroeder - Weise

Volpatti - Lapierre - Malhotra

Suddenly each line has a purpose. Top line is cycle-scoring, 2nd line is scoring from grinding and forechecking, 3rd line is scoring from speed (but Weise brings toughness as well to protect the other 2) and 4th line is purely hitting and defence. Much better compared to the random alignments we have right now.

Sadly, however, Schroeder is not the perfect answer. He is not NHL-ready, and while he is a much bigger upgrade over Ebbett he will not produce as well as a 2nd line center should.

Right now Lapierre and Malhotra aren't bringing much offence either which makes a trade for a center all the more important. If I was MG I'd trade Ballard for picks, let Vandemeer, Barker, Alberts and Tanev cycle on the bottom pairing and with Ballard's 4 million cap hit go out and sign Arnott already, or trade some of our own picks for a speedy scoring center capable of 40 points.

Sign Jason Arnott!

Play him with Burrows and Raymond until Kes & Booth are back, and then play him as a 4th line center with the ability to move up. At least he has the size, he put up 30+ points last year, has wore a C or A 7 seasons in his career. Ebbett is just dominated physically and Raymond on his line just emphasizes the issue.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Arnott - Burrows

^^ Everyone i think agrees with that notion, but management doesnt lol.

It'll be an intresting 2 day break, does MG cave in and trade Luongo for some offensive help or does he wait and risk the team digging itself a bigger hole to climb out of.

AV likes to keep guys up just for toughness like Vandermeer.

He's going to dress what, like 1 or 2 out of every 10 games, if even.

When we sorely need a 2nd line center for EVERY game.

Vandermeer/Barker/Alberts are going to suck if they have to all take turns sitting for weeks at a time.

Archived