The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PST BACK ON APRIL 1ST, Any difference to you?

kurtzfan

I own a service business that is PST exempt HST added 7% to their bills and with hundreds of thousands in sales each year you do the math.

The HST on all the other things I estimate costs me personally about 1-3k a year closer to 1k if I remember.

THE HST/ GST rebate does'nt apply to me as I make too much according the government :roll:

OMG you only pay GST on a service. go call a plumber to come over fix your tap. then call him April 1st. see how much tax you pay.

We went from having GST to having HST never had PST

he new PST will also provide for many exemptions from the tax, including all of the same permanent exemptions that applied under the old PST. Importantly, there will be various business exemptions which will apply to such things as goods incorporated into other goods for resale and production machinery. There will also be an exemption for purchases or leases of goods that are intended to be leased.

The following is a list of some of the other items that will be exempt from the PST:

residential housing and commercial real estate;

most services, like dry cleaning, funeral services, and haircuts;

And I'm saying there are zero guarantees that after reverting to GST and PST that they won't change the rules and PST WILL be charged on "services".

They're going to need the extra money HST was netting them (not to mention paying back the feds that $1.6B). Easy way to do that is charge the tax on more things. You know, like services.

And I'm saying there are zero guarantees that after reverting to GST and PST that they won't change the rules and PST WILL be charged on "services".

They're going to need the extra money HST was netting them (not to mention paying back the feds that $1.6B). Easy way to do that is charge the tax on more things. You know, like services.

dealing with the transition from pst to hst was a pain from a legal accounting pov since contingency files settled post pst effective date still required pst to be remitted on the percentage of the services provided in the pst era (ie. multiple pst remittances). i imagine it'd be the same headache with the transition back. i feelz bad for those who have to deal with it this time around.

as a consumer now, it doesn't affect me one bit. :)

Everyone is greedy - they want to pay nothing but want everything.

It is truly a shame that the HST got removed as a result of what those anti-HST people said. I've talked to a few adamant anti-HST people and most people wanted it gone because they didn't want to pay ~$5-20 more. Meanwhile, money has to come from somewhere, so program cuts are totally cool; actually no, they're not - they get b!tched at for that too. Make up your mind then.

Money has to come from somewhere folks. If it's not my pocket, it's another person's pocket (i.e. the rich) who will end up sending the bill back to us as citizens.

"Money has to come from somewhere"

This is why I wish people would stop warning about speed traps, seat belt checks and cell phone checks :)

OMG you only pay GST on a service. go call a plumber to come over fix your tap. then call him April 1st. see how much tax you pay.

We went from having GST to having HST never had PST

he new PST will also provide for many exemptions from the tax, including all of the same permanent exemptions that applied under the old PST. Importantly, there will be various business exemptions which will apply to such things as goods incorporated into other goods for resale and production machinery. There will also be an exemption for purchases or leases of goods that are intended to be leased.

The following is a list of some of the other items that will be exempt from the PST:

residential housing and commercial real estate;

most services, like dry cleaning, funeral services, and haircuts;

Buying a new home will be cheaper too. Only one tax on that, not sure if it's GST or PST, but someone buying a brand new home will save 5%-7%. Then again, the people paying $1.5M for a new home, that's pocket change to them.

Archived