47 replies to this topic

#31 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Willie Mitchell was the one who got away.

Posted Image

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#32 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with our d core this year but how nice would this kid look in our line up. I just wish Gillis was just more aggressive and pulled out all stops to get this kid. It angers me know watching a BC boy playing for a division rival. Especially one as talented as Schultz.

#33 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

We should try again for Parise, Suter, and Nash while we're at it. Never give up, right?

:bored:

#34 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

Mike Green v2.0
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#35 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,228 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

He was never our property to begin with. He wanted guaranteed minutes, something that Gillis and AV couldn't promise.

So he went with the team that did offer it.

The Ducks are the ones that let him get away. They draft him in the second round and let him walk.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#36 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I believe Sakic and Neids said the same thing. None of them wanted the extra pressure.

It makes sense.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#37 canuckrelevantname

canuckrelevantname

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

The BC boy didn't want to play in BC. He just didn't see himself getting the opportunity and didn't want to play on our 3rd pairing for 5-6 years. Who would he displace on our top 4? Edler? Garrison? Hamhuis? Bieksa? He wanted to play on the top 4 and that is why he went to Edmonton.

THIS. Plus if y'all want to whine about anything it should be about our scouting staff.

Justin Shultz was drafted by Anaheim two picks after we selected Yann Sauve. Sauve is no where near Shultz (see their pt production in the AHL for reference).

Yes I know drafting is an imperfect science, but Brian Burke seemed pretty descent at selecting D-men in later rounds (Jake Gardiner, Shultz, our own Bieksa, etc)...or selecting in general (see Canuck's current core group for examples).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Our

THIS. Plus if y'all want to whine about anything it should be about our scouting staff.

Justin Shultz was drafted by Anaheim two picks after we selected Yann Sauve. Sauve is no where near Shultz (see their pt production in the AHL for reference).

Yes I know drafting is an imperfect science, but Brian Burke seemed pretty descent at selecting D-men in later rounds (Jake Gardiner, Shultz, our own Bieksa, etc)...or selecting in general (see Canuck's current core group for examples).

Most of our scouting staff are the same people as the Burke /Nonis staff. You can look at every draft year and find one or two examples of players could have found in later rounds.

For a player like Schultz to want big money and guaranteed minutes before playing one second in this league speaks to his character in my opinion. We offered him fair $$ and a chance to play with the team he dreamed of playing for his whole life and he opts for the easy road. He may end up having a solid career but I won't miss not having this guy in a Canucks jersey.
Posted Image

#39 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Every year, at least 1 BC Boy brings the cup back to BC.

Too bad they are never wearing a Canucks jersey.

LETS GO SVEDIA!!!!!!!

#40 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Sauve was racking up points in the Q while being a physical defender leading up to the draft while Schultz was undersized and not particularly known to be good at anything but offence. Schultz still rates the same but his offensive game has blossomed, where Sauve is still a physical defender but his offence didn't translate past junior.

Hindsight's 20/20. 29 other teams passed on him in the first round as well (Anaheim drafted noted superstar Nicolas Deschamps in the 1st round that year), and other players like Travis Hamonic, Adam Henrique and Braden Holtby got passed over by until later as well. Teemu Hartikainen was drafted in the 6th and Anders Lindback was drafted in the 7th (207th pick out of 211 total) that year, so I guess you could say everyone's scouting staff sucks.

OMGZ KOP!TARRZZ111!!!!111!!!!!!!!11!!!!

Edited by elvis15, 21 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#41 Helmer

Helmer

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

The BC boy didn't want to play in BC. He just didn't see himself getting the opportunity and didn't want to play on our 3rd pairing for 5-6 years. Who would he displace on our top 4? Edler? Garrison? Hamhuis? Bieksa? He wanted to play on the top 4 and that is why he went to Edmonton.

Schultz was our first choice last summer. After he signed with the Oilers we went after Garrison. Without Garrison Schultz would be on our top 4 instead of Ballard or Tanev with the chance to be out with the twins on the pp.

Did you see his AHL numbers? I am still disappointed he will be great!

Edited by Helmer, 21 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Berlin Polar Bears for NHL Europe Division

#42 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

He looked average at best today, his weakness is physicality, He seemed to get overwhelmed at times down low.

I liked Tanev's game better than his tonight.

Wait till you see him play his second career NHL game :picard:
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#43 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with our d core this year but how nice would this kid look in our line up. I just wish Gillis was just more aggressive and pulled out all stops to get this kid. It angers me know watching a BC boy playing for a division rival. Especially one as talented as Schultz.

What was the mystery ingredient that Gillis held back that cost us?

It's your chance people, enough with the lack of evidence being your evidence, put on the table the EXACT missing piece that would have otherwise landed us the kid.

Not just:

Gillis went to get Shultz
Shultz went elsewhere
Gillis failed

Tell us EXACTLY what Gillis did wrong that would have landed us Shultz.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#44 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Our
Most of our scouting staff are the same people as the Burke /Nonis staff. You can look at every draft year and find one or two examples of players could have found in later rounds.

For a player like Schultz to want big money and guaranteed minutes before playing one second in this league speaks to his character in my opinion. We offered him fair $$ and a chance to play with the team he dreamed of playing for his whole life and he opts for the easy road. He may end up having a solid career but I won't miss not having this guy in a Canucks jersey.

Gotta agree with you on this, also says a lot about his character that he didn't sign with the team that drafted him. Seems really surprising.

#45 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

What was the mystery ingredient that Gillis held back that cost us?

It's your chance people, enough with the lack of evidence being your evidence, put on the table the EXACT missing piece that would have otherwise landed us the kid.

Not just:

Gillis went to get Shultz
Shultz went elsewhere
Gillis failed

Set a meet with the Sedins and Schnieder, present the fact it's a winning culture that he'd be playing a role in. Specifically top 4 dman minutes at first with the potential of being top two. They had nothing to lose here. There was a lot of hype about this kid for a reason. Yes it's only been one game in the nhl so far, but to tell me he didn't look solid out there is crazy! Plus the fact of what he pulled of in the Ahl. Yes it's Ahl, but considering all the hype and eyes on him to preform, he's so far done that in spades. Yes it's early but again Gillis should have done more!

Tell us EXACTLY what Gillis did wrong that would have landed us Shultz.

#46 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hahaha, I can't help but laugh at the multitudes of people who think that somehow the Canucks "missed out" on Shultz as if he was ours to begin with.

RIP LB RR PD

#47 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wait till you see him play his second career NHL game :picard:

:picard:

Notice how in my post I used the words Tonight and Today.

I'm fully aware it was only one game but I was just pointing out he wasn't impressive at all tonight and that Tanev was more noticeable.

zackass.png

#48 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Shea Weber? Joe Sakic?...

Willie Mitchell got away, now has a cup ring..

Shut up!

Ive been forced to make so many negative comments, im probably on my way to getting banned but these threads lately....

THESE THREADS ARE ANTAGONIZING!! Not my fault!!!

...I don't get it.

/=S=/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.