The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian

CanucksHockey11

I don't know if he has enough finish to play with the twins. We saw him miss the net on a few chances. It's something that will no doubt get better, but throwing him out as a 1st liner at this stage in his career is pretty dicey. Especially on this team. I think give him 1 out of every 4-5 games with the twins, to keep the chemistry fresh, but use Burrows for the rest of the time. We need that line to produce with the injuries to our 2nd, best to go with what we know works. Kass could also get some PP time with the twins. Keep the option available for the future (playoffs? and next season) but stick to Burr.

I don't know if he has enough finish to play with the twins. We saw him miss the net on a few chances. It's something that will no doubt get better, but throwing him out as a 1st liner at this stage in his career is pretty dicey. Especially on this team. I think give him 1 out of every 4-5 games with the twins, to keep the chemistry fresh, but use Burrows for the rest of the time. We need that line to produce with the injuries to our 2nd, best to go with what we know works. Kass could also get some PP time with the twins. Keep the option available for the future (playoffs? and next season) but stick to Burr.

It's the only way to develop the guy, And who are we kidding, Sedins can develop anyone playing with them. We have seen it on numerous occasions (Pyatt, Carter, King, BURROWS). Kassian has the potential to be a top power forward like Lucic that can hit fight and score, and he is only going to do this playing with them.

Sedins would make John Scott into a 25 goal scorer.

Anyone can see Kassian has all the tools, to be a very good hockey player. I thought from the first time I seen him play, he could be a very good fit with the Sedins. He can skate, he's big, he's tough, he can handle the puck, and make plays in open ice, but more importantly he can go into the corners with, or without the puck, and come out with it to make a play, he also has very good moves in the shoot out. I haven't see enough of him yet to make a decision on his inconsistency's, or his full talent, but its obvious he's young, and will make mistakes. There will always be the comparison between Cody and Zack, and I liked them both, but I would always rather play with a big tough talented player, that can really help in the playoffs, over a small talented player who could be rendered impotent in a tough play off series. Cody is very smart, and will be a very good asset for Buffalo, but if I was still playing hockey, I would sooner have Zack on my team.

edit.... that said, the team really needs a good 2nd line and Zack could be a very good part of it especially when Kesler comes back, then again Kesler will not pass the puck, making any line he plays not as good as it could be.

I am so happy we have Zack, he is such a good player, but I think the fight last night shouldnt have happened. Dont get me wrong, it was the perfect time to have a fight, but I just thought someone else should have stepped up. Kassian was playing so well, he had just scored and was playing on the top line, it would have been better if he let someone else fight eager, instead of having to sit in the box for 5 minutes and taking away his chance to play with Sedins again in the game.

I appreciate what Kassian was trying to do when he fought Eager, but we needed him on the ice more than being in the box for 5 minutes taking only Eager off with him. Kassian was just promoted to the top line and was oozing with confidence. We needed him on the ice generating offense and throwing big hits. Fighting is part of his game, but he still needs to pick the right time and opponent. Who should've been fighting is Volpatti and Weise. These guys are suppose to go out there and cause havoc and hit everything not wearing a Canucks uniform, but I have yet to see that and it seems like they're attempting to be an offensive line.

I'm quite certain Volpatti would've opened up Eager as well, but Eager is probably smart enough to not take that offer. He accepts Kassian because he takes off a top 6 player for a plug like himself. Riling up the crowd for a minute is not worth putting your team at a disadvantage

Kassian showed me whats up last night! He played good. Skated well, threw his weight around, took some shots (gotta get em on net though) and got a goal.

The one thing I will say as the last post says is that the timing of his fight wasn't the best. I know EDM just scored and he wanted to get the crowd and his team going but....6:15 left in the 3rd and you are playing top line with Sedins...We needed him on the ice. He played well in his 1 or 2 OT shifts however.

Im not gonna knock on him at all. The fight was great and he is one of the only players to show any emotion 2 games into the season. For that i applaud him.

Hoping this is how he can play all season and moving forward from now on as he is exactly what we need when he is confident.

Edit: The fist pump was awesome! Love the emotion in his face and actions.

Great game from Kassian, he was everywhere, in the middle of it. That was exactly what we were after trading for the kid, it was brilliant. Scores a goal, sees Eager running around all night throwing late hits or hitting guys who don't have the puck, so he clobbers a couple Oilers, calls out their goon and makes him bleed. Can't ask for more than that!

Loved the fight, Kassian reminded me of a throwback to the broad street bullies of the '70's. I can't help to think though that Kassian is a skilled enough player that he shouldn't have to bear the load of scrapping the other team's heavyweights. Maybe maore of a role for Vandemeer if he can find a spot in the lineup.

He is a stud; trading for him was the best trade Gillis has made so far IMHO. He is only 20; anybody remember how Bertuzzi was playing at 20?. Give him a bit more time and he could be dominant. In my perfect world we build a whole new first line around him as the Sedins age and gracefully revert back to the 2nd line (where they would be the best 2nd line players in the league IMO and where they could play until they're 40 if they feel like it). Now all we need is about 4 more guys just like him.

I'm worried he's going to get a little overwhelmed when we play tough teams being the only guy who is an intimidatiing force besides Volpatti, but he barely plays.

I'm only worried about it because he's so young right now. This could also be another reason why he's inconsistent sometimes.

Lucic could make a name for himself and do whatever he wanted because he also had Chara, Thornton, Mcquaid, Horton and other tough guys to back him up.

I think the canucks need atleast one more of those guys in the top 9 to take a load off Kassian and Lapierre in the playoffs.

Archived