173 replies to this topic

#31 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

You are quite attached to a player that the Canucks signed to a 2-way contract less then 2 weeks ago.

Attached to a player?? What makes you say that?

I'm talking about the team and it's needs not the player's name.

#32 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

How quick yo forget. Hamhuis, our best Dman tried to lay a hit on Lucic and was out for the SCF. I guess Lucic's size and toughness had nothing to do with Hammer's injury.

Brown ran around and had his way with the Canucks and all of CDC was up in arms. Countless threads on Brown's ugly mug.

Only an ignorant NHL fan would say Canucks aren't soft. Even Vandermeer him self said the word around the league is Canucks can be pushed around and he could help in that department.

Every hockey fan in Canada knows Canucks are soft.

That's great.

Lucic and Brown also happen to be very useful players, the latter of whom managed to average a PPG in his team's Stanley Cup run.

I'm not saying the Canucks aren't "soft"; I'm saying that it means absolutely nothing. The only negative about waiving Vandermeer is that Barker becomes our #8 defenseman.

Edited by Intoewsables, 21 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#33 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

How quick yo forget. Hamhuis, our best Dman tried to lay a hit on Lucic and was out for the SCF. I guess Lucic's size and toughness had nothing to do with Hammer's injury.

Brown ran around and had his way with the Canucks and all of CDC was up in arms. Countless threads on Brown's ugly mug.

Only an ignorant NHL fan would say Canucks aren't soft. Even Vandermeer him self said the word around the league is Canucks can be pushed around and he could help in that department.

Every hockey fan in Canada knows Canucks are soft.

Almost every player in the league would agree.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#34 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

That's great.

Lucic and Brown also happen to be very useful players, the latter of whom managed to average a PPG in his team's Stanley Cup run.

I'm not saying the Canucks aren't "soft"; I'm saying that it means absolutely nothing. The only negative about waiving Vandermeer is that Barker becomes our #8 defenseman.

Yeah you guys are right, this guy is not what Canucks need on the team.

#35 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,947 posts

It's funny how long it took for people to read the 2-way contract information posted way earlier in the thread. He does not have to go through waivers.
Posted Image

#36 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, fighting gets us far in the playoffs. Great point. We have other players who can fight who actually fill a role on this team. Vandermeer is a good #7 but you're treating this as if we've lost some superstar because of his "toughness". :lol:

#37 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, fighting gets us far in the playoffs. Great point. We have other players who can fight who actually fill a role on this team. Vandermeer is a good #7 but you're treating this as if we've lost some superstar because of his "toughness". :lol:

Your argument about fighting in the playoffs is ignorant. Did you see one of the Canucks players doing to other superstars what Marchand did to Sedin? He slaped Sedin around like a rented mule. No you don't . You know why that little squid Marchand can? Because of the toughness on the Bruins.

Just ask the Canucks players how important they think it is to have a guy like Vandermeer on the team. It wasn't MG who thought about signing him, it was the players.

Bieksa (assistant Captain) went to MG and lobbied him to sign Vandermeer after consulting with other Canucks players.

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#38 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

It's funny how long it took for people to read the 2-way contract information posted way earlier in the thread. He does not have to go through waivers.

:picard:

Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. Waiver eligibility is determined by age and professional (AHL/NHL) games played.

Two-way means one salary is paid if playing at the NHL level and a different salary is paid if playing at the AHL level.
http://en.wikipedia....wo-way_contract

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#39 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

You are mistaken. Please re check your source.

#40 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I would have sent Ebbett packing, first off if Schroeder is coming up then we don't need him and even if he isn't we don't need him and who in their right mind would clame Ebbett!?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#41 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

vandermeer has a 2 way contract right? Does that mean he can't be picked up? (i have no idea so it would be great if someone can clarify that for me)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 LindenTheLegend

LindenTheLegend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

His Lack of Sterling play has prevented him from Joslin for a position on the Canucks. He should be Mullen his play over the next few weeks or else he and the horse he Rodin on will be Friesen for the rest of the season in Chicago instead of in the Hunt for the Stanley Cup in Cannata.

::D made my day

#43 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

vandermeer has a 2 way contract right? Does that mean he can't be picked up? (i have no idea so it would be great if someone can clarify that for me)

Read a couple of posts in this thread and you would know. Miller did a pretty good job of explaining with link just a couple of posts above yours.

#44 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hamhuis hip checked a bigger guy, Murray. He didn't get injured. It had nothing to do solely with his size.

#45 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Almost every player in the league would agree.

Yes, including Canucks players. That's why they lobbied MG to sing Vandermeer.

#46 LindenTheLegend

LindenTheLegend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

:picard: This is how NHL games have made people understand two-way contracts. It only means he gets paid a different amount if he plays in the AHL. Because of his age he is waiver eligible.
http://en.wikipedia....wo-way_contract
Please read up before you post

#47 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

ya we sure wouldnt want a guy that laughs fighting Milan Lucic.... :lol:

exaclty what weve been missing. Kassian shouldnt be the top heavy
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Glad Schroeder will finally get his shot, should have happened 2 games ago, cant wait for Wednesday

zackass.png

#49 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Big mistake.

Alberts and his 1.225 million cap hit should have been waived. Vandermeer brings the same things to the table, while being a very good fighter and half the cap hit.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#50 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

LA and Boston didn't win the cup because they were "tougher" than everyone else, but nice try.

Well they were certainly tougher than us...

#51 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

ya we sure wouldnt want a guy that laughs fighting Milan Lucic.... :lol:

exaclty what weve been missing. Kassian shouldnt be the top heavy

Yeah, the same Lucic who single handedly destroyed Buffalo's season and bullied the whole team into submission. This guy laughs while fighting him and Canucks of all teams in the league don't need him. lmao

#52 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

After seeing what Kassian did to Eager last night I dont think Vandy is an absolute need.

We have what he can bring, and we need to change on the 2nd line, not a huge fan of potentially losing Vandy either but Schroeder is a bigger need and he is the odd man out unfortunatley.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 21 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

zackass.png

#53 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I knew it would be vandermeer on waivers. Most people kept assuming it would be Barker.

#54 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I would have sent Ebbett packing, first off if Schroeder is coming up then we don't need him and even if he isn't we don't need him and who in their right mind would clame Ebbett!?

ebbett can play two forward positions so there is some value. he's not a go to guy in any situation though. schroeders gonna be a nice boost for the PP. anyway, i woulda liked to have seen barker sent to chicago. he needs to be playing IMO. Vandy does too to a lesser extent so hopefully he clears and brings some leadership and toughness to the wolves. If vancouver lacks grit and toughness, chicago DEFINITELY does too.

#55 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I knew it would be vandermeer on waivers. Most people kept assuming it would be Barker.

Yeah, it seems like management always makes the unobvious decision....

Lets just hope it's Schroeder coming up.
Posted Image

#56 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

After seeing what Kassian did to Eager last night I dont think Vandy is an absolute need.

We have what he can bring, and we need to change on the 2nd line, not a huge fan of potentially losing Vandy either but Schroeder is a bigger need and he is the odd man out unfortunatley.

Usually I agree with you but not on this Smass. Kassian did get a couple of shots in before being spun around and thrown to the ice by Eager. He did draw blood but the fight was a tie.

After seeing Kassian's play last night I'd rather him be on the ice than sitting in the penalty box for 5 min fighting and 2 min for instigating.

Especially right now when we are missing 2 key forwards. I'd rather have Vandy as 7th D, agitate a couple of opposing stars and get into a scrap and lay the law down. Hopefully he could get one of the opposing team's better players to drop the gloves ie: Lucic and take him out of the game for 5 mins.

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#57 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, it was just a couple shots by Kassian, but one of them freakin' destroyed Eager. He left and never came back. It pissed Eager off so much he was trying to punch Zack in the back of the head.

That's why Kassian was waving his arms around. He knew the damage he did.

Now...When are people going to realize it IS important to have a heavy on your team. This league is not so PC that it doesn't matter. Just look at how we've been pushed around, and by who, in the last couple years.

In the NHL it will ALWAYS be important to have a guy who can stand up for his teammates. Anyone saying otherwise is just not paying attention.

The Canucks have been soft and I'm sick of it.

Someone should have beat down that punk Marchand. Someone should have absolutely killed Duncan Keith.

Kassian is a guy that can do it. But I agree, we have too many guys who haven't embraced that role. I would have loved to have Vandemeer here. One tough guy is good, two is way better. They can back each other up.

Anyway, with any luck he'll be back. That footage of him smiling and fighting Lucic should have been enough to keep him here in the first place.

I, for one, am sick of people taking liberties with our stars and not having to answer for it. Whatever you think about fighting, that is what's happening. No one should ever get away with touching one of the Sedins without answering the bell.

You don't believe me, just ask Gretzky, or for that matter, look up Lidstrom's comments about the subject from last year.

Go Zack!

#58 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

How long does the period to claim a player last?

#59 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

It's Vandermeer people. He's basically Andrew Alberts with above average fighting abilities.

Might as well send him to the Wolves until we actually nee him.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#60 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

What's the new rule on re-entry waivers? Is there still such a thing? Or are teams off the hook for paying half a claimed player's salary?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.