The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jim Vandermeer

Hockey fights are not MMA fights. ;)

You're not gonna land a shot to the back of the head in a hockey fight like you can in MMA where you have the guy pinned on the ground.

And if a punch to the back of the head is more damaging, why was Kassian completly fine and Eager had to go to the dressing room and isn't even practicing today?

If i'm in a fight, I'm alot more worried about getting hit in the nose or the jaw, then i am getting hit in the back of the head.

I agree with this opinion.

But I also think our odd's of loosing him to waivers at the moment were low. He can play, stay in shape and won't have to face re-entry waivers on the way back up any more with the new CBA. A calculated risk?

His value will be higher, and see last year, when teams like the Oilers are out of the race and idiots like Eager can have a chat with a gentleman like Vandy! Besides that, he would be a depth injury guy for the play off's.

Some one once said if you keep trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results it means your are Insane. Canucks keep trying to win the Cup with a soft team year after year.

They should have kept Vandermeer and put him in the lineup when a tough team comes to town. He doesn't need to play big minutes or to play every game. They could even dress 7 Dmen for those games. Hopefully Vandermeer doesn't get claimed.

This is a ridiculous move. I thought MG had learned after losing to LA and BOS the last 2 years.

Because Eager got cut. That's usually the extent of damage a punch above the brow will cause.

It's not only illegal in MMA its also illegal in Boxing where you can't pin down your opponent.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. You don't have knowledge on the subject and I have no intention to waist my time and effort. Go google it and do some research before making outlandish claims.

If you think punch to back of head is less damaging go tell every fight league in the world they are idiots who don't know what they are talking about.

Wow somebodies arrogant today.

I don't care how much MMA knowledge you have, or whether it's illegal in other sports.

We're talking about hockey here. Hockey fighting has way different dynamics than regular fighting. You're standing on skates and swinging around. You're not pounding a guys head into a mat.

And again, Eager didn't even practice today. So I would say the damage to him was a little bit more than a cut to the eyebrow.

MMA or hockey a punch is a punch. That he came out ok is the luck of the draw.

A hit to the back of the head can be extremely dangerous.

I think Kass's helmet helped the situation somewhat.

Side note; I can pass Kass's victory dance off as youthful enthusiasm. He won't be doing himself or the Canucks any favours if he does this two years from now. In the meantime; it's a bit of a request for more comers... Do your business and move on. Check Laraque's; "good luck with that!"

Hockey fights are not MMA fights. ;)

You're not gonna land a shot to the back of the head in a hockey fight like you can in MMA where you have the guy pinned on the ground.

And if a punch to the back of the head is more damaging, why was Kassian completly fine and Eager had to go to the dressing room and isn't even practicing today?

If i'm in a fight, I'm alot more worried about getting hit in the nose or the jaw, then i am getting hit in the back of the head.

How quick yo forget. Hamhuis, our best Dman tried to lay a hit on Lucic and was out for the SCF. I guess Lucic's size and toughness had nothing to do with Hammer's injury.

Brown ran around and had his way with the Canucks and all of CDC was up in arms. Countless threads on Brown's ugly mug.

Only an ignorant NHL fan would say Canucks aren't soft. Even Vandermeer him self said the word around the league is Canucks can be pushed around and he could help in that department.

Every hockey fan in Canada knows Canucks are soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz0jU

There were some real sweet shots of that fight on nhl.com

159808224_slide.jpg

159806875_slide.jpg

anyways, on the subject of Vandermeer, maybe the idea is to have down in the AHL where he'll get real playing time, and be ready to step in closer to playoff time. In the meantime there's Alberts if we need a bigger body (yea yeah, I know most people hate him, but he's seen some improvement over the couple of years here) plus the coaching staff can keep a close eye on Barker and see what they've got with him.

My post subject wasn't strictly about who won the fight, but are you a UFC fan? When UFC first came out I think it was UFC 3 or 4 Joyce Grace beat his opponent by submission but was unable to continue to next fight. This was the first UFC Grace didn't win.

Just because you can't practice the next day doesn't mean you lost the fight.

Eager vs Kass fight was a draw.

Hey Miller on a side note I was watching the Yotes game last night. They lost but Doan looked pretty good.

I was thinking about our conversations during his UFA days when Canucks were chasing him. I argued Doan was over priced and would not be worth it in 2+ years (age related decline) and you saying he would be worth it.

I look forward to see how this plays out over the next 4 years. But I'll tell you what, he was quite involved last night. Canucks sure could use someone like him. Hopefully Kassian continues to improve. Great showing last game.

My post subject wasn't strictly about who won the fight, but are you a UFC fan? When UFC first came out I think it was UFC 3 or 4 Joyce Grace beat his opponent by submission but was unable to continue to next fight. This was the first UFC Grace didn't win.

Just because you can't practice the next day doesn't mean you lost the fight.

Eager vs Kass fight was a draw.

Archived