The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You know what really grinds my gears? Places that charge a service fee for using Interac...

:D

It's like, hey, I came into your store for the two-item combo. I'm paying like nine bucks for a dollar's worth of food, but I still get hoodwinked for a 25 cent service fee for using my debit card?

You should be taking 25 cents off of my bill because I am making it that much easier for you to run the books.

So no, you can just scrape that greasy food back into the trough because this cowboy doesn't take kindly to shenanigans.

I don't think they're actually allowed to do that. Seem to remember hearing if they do that you can report them to Interac...or maybe it's whichever company they have the machine from..? Either way, look in to it if it bothers you, I think you have some sort of recourse and they get fined or something.

Complain to Interac - they are charging companies an extortion rate amount of money to use their service.

When I started working for Petro Canada back in 2001, they were in the middle of a project whereby they were going to look after their own transactions and bulk submit them daily to the banks - by doing this (instead of being charged for every customer transaction) they saved almost a million dollars a month.

So don't blame the businesses, especially say the small business guy. Blame Interac.

Annoys the crap out of me too, and technically they can't do it. Just politely say you'll take your business elsewhere if they charge you.

The thing is, though, as others have mentioned, those little family-run mom and pop grocery stores and corner stores get ripped off by Interac up the whazoo, which is why they have no choice but to charge. So while annoying, it's understandable.

It's like, hey, I came into your store for the two-item combo. I'm paying like nine bucks for a dollar's worth of food, but I still get hoodwinked for a 25 cent service fee for using my debit card?

You should be taking 25 cents off of my bill because I am making it that much easier for you to run the books.

So no, you can just scrape that greasy food back into the trough because this cowboy doesn't take kindly to shenanigans.

It's actually harder to "run the books" because they have to make the additional journal entry to debit service charges they incur from allowing you to use the debit card. They also have to make another journal entry to the receivable account of the bank until they receive the cash, and reverse that entry when they do receive the cash.

But then again, if they didn't offer debit and credit services, they would lose sales to vendors who do.

Archived