The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

I remember going to games at Pacific Colliseum and people would cheer loud for pretty much every good play. Good pass, good check, good save, good pk or pp. Now people seem to only cheer for goals mostly. I only go to about one game per year but I try to keep that tradition up, but Im only one guy going to one game. I think that another reason for the lack of noise is that we are spoiled. We have pretty much made the playoffs, won the division every year plus 2 presidents trophies. We have two of the best players, who are twin brothers, that provide some of the best hockey and we have seen it soo much its not so special anymore. Still blows me away when I see them out numbered and outsized and own the puck. We have the best goalie in franchise history by a landslide, and we cant seem to get rid of him fast enough.

The crowd feel is a reflection of the people in the city.

Go to a game in Buffalo, Philly, Winnipeg etc. Lots of atmosphere, lots of yelling, lot of blue collar guys that can afford to go to the game.

Vancouver is a very yuppie, half-caf foamy soy frappucino, pretentious, expensive city. The blue collar guy/girl can't afford to go to many games given the cost of living here.

Look at the crowds at BC Lions games. Lots of fun and lots of dudes driving in from Chilliwack once a week to sit in seats that cost them $40. The one complaint about the Lions last season was that ticket prices are starting to creep up. What do you know?!?! Attendance goes down.

The more expensive a product becomes, the more exclusive it becomes. The more exclusive it becomes, the more pretentious people are attracted to it. Pretentious people would never lower themselves to yell at a ref as it might just make them look less awesome.

I have seats in the club section and see it all the time...

Lets just say louder, anyways point is don't bring race into this issue. I'm not east indian just went to high school with alot them and they not reserve and shy as Chinese People.

And your clueless, so how was the majority of Caucasians rioting? Rioting is not a good look right? Who cares about bar fight is nothing compared to rioting and potential hurting innocent people.

I can believe business people being less loud etc but I don't believe race is an issue. I think business and age if anything has more to do with how drunk or loud you get at a game.

The lower bowl is the cash cow for the organization (maybe food & beverage as well actually - huge mark up) so the organization is not likely going to change that. What the organization should do and probably can do is dedicate a section to passionate fans ie. the Molson section or standing room at the Zamboni entrance, like what they do for Whitecaps games. They're in the far corner in the rain, they occupy a whole section and are largely responsible for all the chants and "noise" at games, and it can be quite entertaining and funny. They even have their own title "Southsiders". Looks like they have their own website and membership program as well. Something like that could be interesting. With CDC members that could be in the thousands...talk about a cash cow.

Wow.

Please learn english if you're going to respond to my posts, and especially if you're going to make an attempt at insulting me. You're either not from around here, 9 years old, or you just never listened in school. Or all of the above?

Archived