The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

Hey everyone. I know a lot of people want to focus on the Canucks' play right now, but I honestly think that their play will come with time. On the other hand, one thing that makes me feel kind of angry is the noise level at Rogers Arena. Aren't we supposed to have some of the most passionate fans in the league? Well where's the intensity? I feel that this noise issue warrants a discussion, as whether people want to admit it or not, fan participation can effect the energy levels for their respective home team.

I feel that this problem is due to a combination of things. First off, the in-house music is lacking. Is it terrible? No. Could I do a better job? Not necessarily, but it's not my job to do that. Pump-up music could be better, and any goal song could be better than Clutch (just my opinion though). That song is SO slow when it's played in the arena, and it seems more like a depressant than a stimulator. I would rather sacrifice our 'identity' and play Sandstorm or Rock and Roll part II, some of the most overused goal songs in history.

Another issue which is probably more important than the music is the attendance at the games. The arena is sold out EVERY night, however that does not mean all the seats are filled. There are a lot of ticket holders, for example, that while having said tickets decide not to attend the games, which is why you see a lot of empty seats despite having a 'sold out' crowd. And even when people do attend the games, lower bowl seating is primarily held by bigwigs who can afford the ridiculously expensive ticket prices, and also who do not make a lot of noise (trying to maintain a professional appearance? I dunno).

If you're curious as to why the Winnipeg Jets' arena is so loud, consider that the price of a ticket, for a POPULAR game, in the best seats, is approximately only $200.

2cdhf7q.png

The noise level does not have anything to do with Winnipeg just being a louder 'nation' as some might argue. It's due to a lot of factors, a big one being the price of the tickets. And my apologies to Kassian, but if you're wanting to pump up the crowd for any extended period of time at Rogers Arena, you're going to have to fight maybe 5-7 times a game.

I really wish there was something we as fans could do about the noise level, and while it seems like we're the ones that control that factor, the quietness really seems inevitable due to issues out of our control. I mean we can't control the ticket prices, nor the music that plays in the stadium. I understand that the hockey players are professionals, but dont you think that the reason the Canucks can play so un-enthusiastic sometimes is due to the crowds which attend the games? The hockey players are people too, and energy rubs off.

This has never been discussed before. <_<

But here's my answer anyway, even though people write out the same arguments every year to say it's all the suits or the ticket prices or the acoustics or the goal song/intro/music sucks (plenty of goal and intro song threads at the moment discussing this as we speak) or whatever. It sounds quiet on TV, when I've always found it pretty good when you're actually in the arena.

1. I like our goal song, and was a big supporter of changing to it. Of all the songs I've seen proposed (including our old goal song, Holiday) it got the most posts of support that people at least thought it was decent when normally you can't get anyone to agree on anything other than they don't like something.

2. Empty seats at arenas happens to everyone. Sometimes people can't get to a game and don't find someone to give their tickets to or sell them. It happens, you can't fix that.

3. You can't fix ticket prices either, it's supply and demand. Even if prices were lower, the same groups of people would still be buying the tickets for their businesses and the like. That still doesn't mean that someone in the lower bowl doesn't cheer just as hard as someone in the upper.

4. Any team that considers itself a contender for the Stanley Cup needs the fans to give them a boost to win games isn't really a contender at all. These guys are just fine and absolutely capable of winning games regardless of what we do.

In the end, you have your opinion, and we don't have to agree.

lower beer prices

sell more seats to people who care enough to be there and not just because they are a client of someone.

I was there last night. A guy in front of me was on his phone the whole game...

The rise of smart phones and people checking mortgage rates or NFL scores is scary. (I've seen this)

Well if you've been to many games the one thing you will notice is a lot of the fans attending the games is the people who attend to " be there " and " be seen ". Maybe more so for the lower bowl, however its all too common for people to be on the cell phones or chatting like they are at a lunch meeting not even paying attention to the game.

Obviously there is great fans in attendance and for the most part the games are a great experience atmosphere-wise. But the noise is in my opinion directly related to who is at the games.

This has never been discussed before. <_<

But here's my answer anyway, even though people write out the same arguments every year to say it's all the suits or the ticket prices or the acoustics or the goal song/intro/music sucks (plenty of goal and intro song threads at the moment discussing this as we speak) or whatever. It sounds quiet on TV, when I've always found it pretty good when you're actually in the arena.

1. I like our goal song, and was a big supporter of changing to it. Of all the songs I've seen proposed (including our old goal song, Holiday) it got the most posts of support that people at least thought it was decent when normally you can't get anyone to agree on anything other than they don't like something.

2. Empty seats at arenas happens to everyone. Sometimes people can't get to a game and don't find someone to give their tickets to or sell them. It happens, you can't fix that.

3. You can't fix ticket prices either, it's supply and demand. Even if prices were lower, the same groups of people would still be buying the tickets for their businesses and the like. That still doesn't mean that someone in the lower bowl don't cheer just as hard as someone in the upper.

4. Any team that considers itself a contender for the Stanley Cup needs the fans to give them a boost to win games isn't really a contender at all. These guys are just fine and absolutely capable of winning games regardless of what we do.

In the end, you have your opinion, and we don't have to agree.

This city needs to embrace fan culture. If the team loses, you should still be saying damn I had a good time anyway. When I was at the open scrimmage, people were standing which is nice to see in a hockey setting but a huge amount of people sitting closer to the back (which meant they probably showed up late) relentless told everyone to sit down. I don't expect standing to happen much at a hockey game anyway, but I'm also a Whitecaps season ticket holder in the supporter end and the treatment is the same which is ridiculous since it is a standing approved section and I'm being told by people who are single ticket owners.

My point is until the people in this city realize that sometimes they need to create the energy and excitement, you're going to have dead buildings. Not to say the players need the fans involvement to help them, but sometimes when a team is down, they could use the energy from the crowd to get them back in it. Get them thinking "we got to do this for this crowd".

lower beer prices

sell more seats to people who care enough to be there and not just because they are a client of someone.

The rise of smart phones and people checking mortgage rates or NFL scores is scary. (I've seen this)

I have season tickets and usually sell most of my games. One of the reasons (apart from cost) is the lack of atmosphere and "absolutely having to be there"

I bought Seahawks season tickets this past season. You want to hear crowd noise, passion and un-wavering support for a sports team? Go a game at CenturyLink. This video I took before the SF game is only a snippet.

i have stopped going to canucks games due to being told to be quiet by ushers when i wasnt curising or even boing just getting loud like fans are supposed to do ... i was also have been to a game where i seen a group of guys infront of me get kicked out stricktly for being rowdy once again not cursing or even booing just getting into it... and fans around them didnt even complain ushers came and told the guys theyw ere being kicked out and our entire section got mad at the ushers as it seemed no fans complained about them the ushers decided on their own to kick them out... and our whole section boo'ed the ushers... ive had my friends not beallowed to bring their flags into the games taken away at the door...... and everything is just so negitive at the rink too u rarly hear a go canucks go chant going during the play or a D-FENCE chant during a PK all u get is razing of the away goalie and booing of the refs.... and cheering for 2 seconds after a goal... anyone watch the spengler cup? thoes 5k fans even when davos is losing put 20k canuck fans to shame.

lower beer prices

Sorry guys, but this is how Rogers Arena is. It's pathetic, and it's almost embarrassing to be at some of these home games. It's corporate people on their cell phones updating their status with "AT THE GAME! GO CANUKS!" or it's young families with babies that are too young to be anywhere near a hockey game.

This will NEVER change. They're not going to lower ticket prices so they can attract a livelier bunch. Like the people making money out of this whole process really care.

i was at the game last night and i thought the noise level was good for what was happening on the ice. this fan base knows hockey. the most anoying thing i find is the p.a. system telling me to "make some noise" when nothing is happening. usually just after a tv timeout, with the faecoff at center.

fans got behind lou every time he made a key save.

fans loved the fight.

the game whas a bit of a snoozer.

its more exiting to come back and win than to give up a lead.

we are a passionate fan base not just a noisy one.

stop baming the suits in the lower bowl. they attend more games and expect more.

tv time outs are killling the pace of the game.stop analyzing other fans and watch the game. maybe the guy on the phone was listening to play by play.

Archived