The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

too many suits and too many brand new Canadians that don't even know the game, lethal combination.

Winnipeg gets rabid hockey fans, not businessmen on their blackberries or people that just moved here from Hong Kong/India.

dont forget about the puck bunnies. skanks and snake charmers either. usually too busy runway modelling the stairs or looking around for fresh meat.

lastly, any of the remaining noise making contingent is usually too stoned.

The noise level has gone down as the percentage of "corporate" seats rises.

On the contrary...

People seem to forget these so called corporate individuals or individuals who aren't the typical fans (cheer like crazy, get smashed... etc.) are the ones that give the team most support financially and influence to our city.

It's not just about ticket sales but sponsorship and everything else that gives the Canucks the ability to always spend to the cap, invest in player development, training staff... etc.

And also, Vancouver is completely culturally diverse and our city is consistently changing, not everyone cheers the same. Not everyone is going to ones jumping around or screaming loudly.

The enjoyment level of any sport is not measured that way.

The only thing I agree, is the phones have to go.

too many suits and too many brand new Canadians that don't even know the game, lethal combination.

Winnipeg gets rabid hockey fans, not businessmen on their blackberries or people that just moved here from Hong Kong/India.

dont forget about the puck bunnies. skanks and snake charmers either. usually too busy runway modelling the stairs or looking around for fresh meat.

lastly, any of the remaining noise making contingent is usually too stoned.

The noise level has gone down as the percentage of "corporate" seats rises.

I don't know what all the complaining is about. I'll cheer when we score, and go OHHHHH when we have a chance and Luuuuuu! at a big save. Other than that, I just wanna watch the game and talk to whoever im with.

In the playoffs it seems pretty amped up, and we'll have some good cheers for a good shift and such.

STH here.

I don't really know what fans expet from us. I attend over 90% of the games a year.

You guys expect me to get **itfaced and scream 3 times a week? Pretty taxing.

The last 2 games were particularly quiet because of the 50% of merchandise sale. Lots of line ups for food and merch.

You'd be surprised how few 'suits' actually attend games.

I will say though, many newer Asian fans don't talk nevermind cheer.

Canucks rink is probably one of the quietest in the league sadly.

I think it's partly due to the music and feel of the game. How can anyone get pumped when most of the music is from the last year or so and catered to pop culture.

Secondly, it's all the suits. There's so many people at Canuck games that don't even care. It's sad really.

It's quite disheartening to even be at the game. Our team has so much talent and done so much for Canuck fans, and we can't even give them any motivation.

Few more things.

Once you go to 100, 200 and 300 games you start becoming accustomed to going. I take friends all the time. I cheer more than most people and have drinks during intermission. The novelty of screaming and cheering till you're red in the face wears away.

Most people who are the 'real fans' go once or twicea year and really go all out for those games.

The best way to have a better crowd would be to scale down on STH and have a higher turn over of 'once n a while' game attendees.

I went to both the Anaheim and Edmonton and the crowd noise on Saturday was much better compared to yesterday. It's hard to start a cheer when only a handful of people within your surrounding area are joining in but the rest of the 18,000 don't catch on.

When fans in the upper bowl started Lets go Oilers chant, all we did was boo back.. I tried doing Oilers suck but nobody caught on

I agree that Rogers Arena is at times pathetic. It has been now for the last few years. I think it's because ticket prices are so high, you are getting a huge portion of the tickets going to older wealthier people or businessmen. And its the same people that are going to every game. They lack the excitement that someone who only can afford to go once a year has. I mean really, who's going to cheer louder, Sir Reginald the third and his business associates, or Thetus and his buddies from the trailer park who saved beer cans for half a year to buy their tickets.

The crowd feel is a reflection of the people in the city.

Go to a game in Buffalo, Philly, Winnipeg etc. Lots of atmosphere, lots of yelling, lot of blue collar guys that can afford to go to the game.

Vancouver is a very yuppie, half-caf foamy soy frappucino, pretentious, expensive city. The blue collar guy/girl can't afford to go to many games given the cost of living here.

Look at the crowds at BC Lions games. Lots of fun and lots of dudes driving in from Chilliwack once a week to sit in seats that cost them $40. The one complaint about the Lions last season was that ticket prices are starting to creep up. What do you know?!?! Attendance goes down.

The more expensive a product becomes, the more exclusive it becomes. The more exclusive it becomes, the more pretentious people are attracted to it. Pretentious people would never lower themselves to yell at a ref as it might just make them look less awesome.

I have seats in the club section and see it all the time...

UNBELIEVABLE

what.. so people complained and prayed for hockey to start while the lock out was full on

only to have it start so there is new things to complain about

this what have you done for me lately world some people live in is wack!!

I mean if my Budweiser didn't taste like ice cold Budweiser while watching the games..

I would have some kinda thing to complain about!!

people!!

It is what it is!!

i have stopped going to canucks games due to being told to be quiet by ushers when i wasnt curising or even boing just getting loud like fans are supposed to do ... i was also have been to a game where i seen a group of guys infront of me get kicked out stricktly for being rowdy once again not cursing or even booing just getting into it... and fans around them didnt even complain ushers came and told the guys theyw ere being kicked out and our entire section got mad at the ushers as it seemed no fans complained about them the ushers decided on their own to kick them out... and our whole section boo'ed the ushers... ive had my friends not beallowed to bring their flags into the games taken away at the door...... and everything is just so negitive at the rink too u rarly hear a go canucks go chant going during the play or a D-FENCE chant during a PK all u get is razing of the away goalie and booing of the refs.... and cheering for 2 seconds after a goal... anyone watch the spengler cup? thoes 5k fans even when davos is losing put 20k canuck fans to shame.

Archived