The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

Hey everyone. I know a lot of people want to focus on the Canucks' play right now, but I honestly think that their play will come with time. On the other hand, one thing that makes me feel kind of angry is the noise level at Rogers Arena. Aren't we supposed to have some of the most passionate fans in the league? Well where's the intensity? I feel that this noise issue warrants a discussion, as whether people want to admit it or not, fan participation can effect the energy levels for their respective home team.

I feel that this problem is due to a combination of things. First off, the in-house music is lacking. Is it terrible? No. Could I do a better job? Not necessarily, but it's not my job to do that. Pump-up music could be better, and any goal song could be better than Clutch (just my opinion though). That song is SO slow when it's played in the arena, and it seems more like a depressant than a stimulator. I would rather sacrifice our 'identity' and play Sandstorm or Rock and Roll part II, some of the most overused goal songs in history.

Another issue which is probably more important than the music is the attendance at the games. The arena is sold out EVERY night, however that does not mean all the seats are filled. There are a lot of ticket holders, for example, that while having said tickets decide not to attend the games, which is why you see a lot of empty seats despite having a 'sold out' crowd. And even when people do attend the games, lower bowl seating is primarily held by bigwigs who can afford the ridiculously expensive ticket prices, and also who do not make a lot of noise (trying to maintain a professional appearance? I dunno).

If you're curious as to why the Winnipeg Jets' arena is so loud, consider that the price of a ticket, for a POPULAR game, in the best seats, is approximately only $200.

2cdhf7q.png

The noise level does not have anything to do with Winnipeg just being a louder 'nation' as some might argue. It's due to a lot of factors, a big one being the price of the tickets. And my apologies to Kassian, but if you're wanting to pump up the crowd for any extended period of time at Rogers Arena, you're going to have to fight maybe 5-7 times a game.

I really wish there was something we as fans could do about the noise level, and while it seems like we're the ones that control that factor, the quietness really seems inevitable due to issues out of our control. I mean we can't control the ticket prices, nor the music that plays in the stadium. I understand that the hockey players are professionals, but dont you think that the reason the Canucks can play so un-enthusiastic sometimes is due to the crowds which attend the games? The hockey players are people too, and energy rubs off.

Winnipeg just got their team back last year of course they will be the noisiest arena around the nhl wait and see if they don't make the playoffs for a couple years to see how noisy they are

also its tough to tell noise level wise from tv i have recorded games i have been to and it always seems louder when im at the game usually i am sitting row 1-10 upper level corners and have a great time never been told to be quiet by an usher so im sure the people that have been told are usually being obnoxious

i have stopped going to canucks games due to being told to  be quiet by ushers when i wasnt curising or even boing just getting loud like fans are supposed to do ... i was also have been to a game where i seen a group of guys infront of me  get kicked out stricktly for being rowdy  once again not cursing  or even booing just getting into it... and  fans around them didnt even complain ushers came and told the guys theyw ere being kicked out and our entire section got mad at the ushers as it seemed no fans complained about them  the ushers decided on their own to kick them out... and our whole section boo'ed the ushers... ive had my friends not beallowed to bring their flags into the games taken away at the door......  and everything is just so negitive at the rink too  u rarly hear a go canucks go chant going during the play  or a D-FENCE chant during a PK  all u get is razing of the away goalie and booing of the refs.... and cheering for 2 seconds after a goal... anyone watch the spengler cup? thoes 5k fans  even when davos is losing  put 20k canuck fans to shame.

lower beer prices

sell more seats to people who care enough to be there and not just because they are a client of someone.

I was there last night. A guy in front of me was on his phone the whole game...

The rise of smart phones and people checking mortgage rates or NFL scores is scary. (I've seen this)

Most poeple at a game go to games all the time.

I never go to games and even during a regular seaosn game it's kind of hard to get into it if the game itself isn't electric.

All that matters are the playoffs, and it is loud then

I think most of the time people are just there to relax and enjoy the entertainment. People come from work, they are tired, they have kids with them, maybe they are full from a meal they just had, maybe they work the next morning and don't want to drink too much.

Also remember, one can of beer is $8.50 (im not kidding). You are not going to get very many people rowdy and into it with those prices. Also if you yell too loud, people give you funny looks and ushers tell you to calm down. That is why its quiet.

The fans need some time to work out the kinks and get into the flow of the season, same as the players. I'm sure there's still a lot of ambivalent feelings left over from the lockout, I know I have them, the intensity is not there and probably will not be for about half the season. It's September hockey in January, basically.

I think this is for the best. We can't go and mainline a ton of hockey right away, not after such a long layoff, that's how Janis Joplin died. You gotta be careful, your tolerance is all shot to hell.

i have stopped going to canucks games due to being told to be quiet by ushers when i wasnt curising or even boing just getting loud like fans are supposed to do ... i was also have been to a game where i seen a group of guys infront of me get kicked out stricktly for being rowdy once again not cursing or even booing just getting into it... and fans around them didnt even complain ushers came and told the guys theyw ere being kicked out and our entire section got mad at the ushers as it seemed no fans complained about them the ushers decided on their own to kick them out... and our whole section boo'ed the ushers... ive had my friends not beallowed to bring their flags into the games taken away at the door...... and everything is just so negitive at the rink too u rarly hear a go canucks go chant going during the play or a D-FENCE chant during a PK all u get is razing of the away goalie and booing of the refs.... and cheering for 2 seconds after a goal... anyone watch the spengler cup? thoes 5k fans even when davos is losing put 20k canuck fans to shame.

haha exactly what I was thinking. while I live in Calgary for university I try to make it out to a few games in Van whenever I can. I was at the first round series (game 2) against LA in 2010 and was there last season for the March 16 game where many had his eye injury and the game following that. Compared to Calgary Rogers arena is nowhere near as loud as much as I hate to say it. HOWEVER -- the fans seem to be smarter and the atmosphere is still great.... even though that obviously doesn't come through on TV

I think most of the time people are just there to relax and enjoy the entertainment. People come from work, they are tired, they have kids with them, maybe they are full from a meal they just had, maybe they work the next morning and don't want to drink too much.

Also remember, one can of beer is $8.50 (im not kidding). You are not going to get very many people rowdy and into it with those prices. Also if you yell too loud, people give you funny looks and ushers tell you to calm down. That is why its quiet.

Another problem is the cheap food and merchandise. All the ppl around me were in and out of their seats the whole game. Most came back 1/2 way into the period with food or merchandise.. Glad it will be over by wed. It's really annoying

I was at both weekend game.

Sometimes I think that our fans have become so spoiled with 2 straight president's trophies that anything less than perfection is equal to absolute disaster. So when the fans at the games aren't seeing goals, fights, and hits every few seconds, they become really turned off. But I dunno, I guess it's a mix of everything.

This has never been discussed before. <_<

But here's my answer anyway, even though people write out the same arguments every year to say it's all the suits or the ticket prices or the acoustics or the goal song/intro/music sucks (plenty of goal and intro song threads at the moment discussing this as we speak) or whatever. It sounds quiet on TV, when I've always found it pretty good when you're actually in the arena.

1. I like our goal song, and was a big supporter of changing to it. Of all the songs I've seen proposed (including our old goal song, Holiday) it got the most posts of support that people at least thought it was decent when normally you can't get anyone to agree on anything other than they don't like something.

2. Empty seats at arenas happens to everyone. Sometimes people can't get to a game and don't find someone to give their tickets to or sell them. It happens, you can't fix that.

3. You can't fix ticket prices either, it's supply and demand. Even if prices were lower, the same groups of people would still be buying the tickets for their businesses and the like. That still doesn't mean that someone in the lower bowl doesn't cheer just as hard as someone in the upper.

4. Any team that considers itself a contender for the Stanley Cup needs the fans to give them a boost to win games isn't really a contender at all. These guys are just fine and absolutely capable of winning games regardless of what we do.

In the end, you have your opinion, and we don't have to agree.

I am from Berlin, Germany. You have the best players of the world and you can't make noise.

Our owner (Anschutz) built new arena (15000 seats) in 2008 where the NHL opened up last year with LA vs. Buffalo.

We also have vip boxes but we have a true fan base that fought for stances.

The prices for these 2000 tickets are low so they are able to come to games and chant the whole time....

Archived