The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

too many suits and too many brand new Canadians that don't even know the game, lethal combination.

Winnipeg gets rabid hockey fans, not businessmen on their blackberries or people that just moved here from Hong Kong/India.

dont forget about the puck bunnies. skanks and snake charmers either. usually too busy runway modelling the stairs or looking around for fresh meat.

lastly, any of the remaining noise making contingent is usually too stoned.

The noise level has gone down as the percentage of "corporate" seats rises.

Long time season ticket holder (92) and yes there is a difference from the days on Renfrew to today. I sit in the lower bowl and have noticed the following:

The choice of music is poor - a little more rock please

Gender - more females are attending games

Race is not a factor for cheering or not

Today - Canucks fans but not NHL fans - cant name a couple of players from the visiting team - Whats a 4 pointer?

I see 7-10 games a year and maybe I am spoiled or it's become old hat but it's rare for me to walk out of Rogers and say, I had a great time.

funny... The last two games I went to I was in the lower bowl and cheered like there was no tomorrow and no ushers told me to calm down. I hate people that complain about drink prices. Yes, its expensive but if you cant afford it too bad! you know its expensive before you go so have a few drinks at home or at the shark club right in the sandman. Im a university student and can afford to fly to van, stay at a hotel for a week and go to two games every year and drink... its not hard to do

The lower bowl is the cash cow for the organization (maybe food & beverage as well actually - huge mark up) so the organization is not likely going to change that. What the organization should do and probably can do is dedicate a section to passionate fans ie. the Molson section or standing room at the Zamboni entrance, like what they do for Whitecaps games. They're in the far corner in the rain, they occupy a whole section and are largely responsible for all the chants and "noise" at games, and it can be quite entertaining and funny. They even have their own title "Southsiders". Looks like they have their own website and membership program as well. Something like that could be interesting. With CDC members that could be in the thousands...talk about a cash cow.

My goodness, I went to the Oilers game on Sunday and it was so dead. The Oilers fans were louder than the Canucks fans, it was so embarrassing... a number of "Let's Go Oilers" chants went up, and there were only perhaps a few hundred Edmonton fans there, but they easily matched if not shouted over the halfhearted "Go Canucks Go" chants. I only get to go to one game per year, and I can't even stand up and cheer that much... if I do, everyone around me's just gonna stare, judging like "what?! standing up at a hockey game?! outrageous!!" I'm not a vocal or outgoing person, but give me a good hockey game and I'd be on my feet with the rest of the crowd. It has nothing to do with the music, its the culture of the upper class in this city, where its embarrassing to care about things...

My goodness, I went to the Oilers game on Sunday and it was so dead. The Oilers fans were louder than the Canucks fans, it was so embarrassing... a number of "Let's Go Oilers" chants went up, and there were only perhaps a few hundred Edmonton fans there, but they easily matched if not shouted over the halfhearted "Go Canucks Go" chants. I only get to go to one game per year, and I can't even stand up and cheer that much... if I do, everyone around me's just gonna stare, judging like "what?! standing up at a hockey game?! outrageous!!" I'm not a vocal or outgoing person, but give me a good hockey game and I'd be on my feet with the rest of the crowd. It has nothing to do with the music, its the culture of the upper class in this city, where its embarrassing to care about things...

I used to live in Van and went to lots of games circa '80s '90's. The fans were always high energy and loud. I watch the games on TV now and you can hear a pin drop at times. What a lathargic bunch! Can you imagine what these fans would do with the white towel incident? They'd probably clap their hands. I think the fans are spoiled by the product/results on the ice and have become apathetic. It's a shame, really.

Hello everybody,

I am new on here and just had to say something about the Canucks fans at Rogers Arena.

First of all, I know there may be some topics on this but I just had to make this to get my point across.

The fans that go to the games are very, very quiet! I mean it is even quieter than a library, why are people at Canucks games so boring?

I know everyone blames "suits," who I understand are businessmen (not sure), but I feel that even the regular fans that go to the games do not make noise. The fans that sit in the upper bowl and the fans that sit in the lower bowl are always just sitting there and not making any noise, they are either talking with someone or just on their cell phone.

I have been to many Canucks games since 2003 (not season ticket holder), I remember that even the pre-season games had more noise back then. As the years have gone by the crowd noise has decreased except for playoffs but even sometimes its quiet at a playoff game. The fans need to engage them self into the game and to start making noise, they need to show their passion.

The only chant we have now is "Go Canucks Go!" What happened to chants like "Oilers Suck!" or "Kiiippprrruuuusssooofff!" (mocking the opposing goalie). Let's start making noise, the only thing makes noise is the announcer on the PA.

So come on Canuck fans, let's get creative, show our passion, and cheer our hearts out at Rogers Arena.

Sorry for making it so long, just really makes me mad at how quiet it is.

Go Canucks!

Archived