Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cabinessence

Vancouver Sportscasters

I've been listening to some of the sportscasters talk of later regarding Luongo becoming a distraction. I have heard it said the media will make it a circus by constantly talking about Lu not being traded. Yet they keep talking about it! Why not then shut up about it and find diffrent story angles?

Some examples of our broadcasters:

Dave Pratt

Don Taylor:

Dan Russell

Rick Ball

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

Tony Gallagher

Brook Ward

They talk about stories that interest the listeners, Canada although extremely socialized is not a communist country and the media will talk about whatever will interest people the most.

Just a side note Lou is already a distraction.

To be honest, it is only a distraction because the media constantly talks about it non-stop. I believe that all the guys are professionals in the locker room. It isn't like there is a "Luongo camp" and a "Schneider camp" in the locker room or anything....

There's plenty of other, far more pressing issues on this team to talk about.

For example, who will play with the Sedins? No one has mentioned this, but it should be a 4 way battle right now between Burrows, Kassian, Hansen and Weise.

How about our serious issue at center? Schroeder VS Lapierre VS Ebbett, or use a guy like Burrows or Higgins for center?

How about our sloppy team defence despite having an amazing top-4 on paper, and what needs to be done there?

How about Raymond's and Malhotra's performance post-injury?

There's plenty of other storylines surrounding this team which IMO are far more pressing than our goalies. If everyone thinks we should trade Luongo because we have cap space tied up with Schneider, why isn't anyone pushing for a Ballard trade when we have our top-4 solidified and tied up for years to come?

You know what would be a bigger distraction? If MG trades Luo too soon and or gets too little. Isnt that what he did with Hodgson? What if Cory isnt as ready as everyone thought he would be or gets injured? My read on MG and his recent interviews is that the offers for Luo are crap. And or Luo has declined going to a team that may have given a decent offer in the past. Im not a professional hockey player but when Im in the middle of a game there is nothing that distracts me. Its too fast of a game to be thinking about hockey operations while playing. Cory would have had a shutout on Saturday but the fact that Luo wasnt traded distracted him. lol.

The local media can be counted on to create unbearable pressure on the team over this story.

They are, and always have been, an incredible hindrance.

The media don't work for the Vancouver Canucks. Their job is to get people watching/listening/reading their programs or articles.

It's kind of an amazing time for the Canucks with all the attention they get now. They were even talking about this Luongo stuff on one of the NBC games between intermissions.

Completely agree. It is really frustrating that the media constantly bash the fans for jumping on the goalies in Vancouver when they are just as bad.

The story after the Ducks game should have been all about the terrible D. Instead they spin it into a goalie controversy, and they wonder why Canucks fans are so ridiculous when it comes to goalie bashing. Take a look in the mirror.

The media don't work for the Vancouver Canucks. Their job is to get people watching/listening/reading their programs or articles.

It's kind of an amazing time for the Canucks with all the attention they get now. They were even talking about this Luongo stuff on one of the NBC games between intermissions.

What bothers me is that they keep referring to Schnieder as the clearcut number one goalie.. Not once have we heard Vigneault or Gillis or any of the Canuck brass come out and call Schnieder the number one goalie. Instead, Vigneault and Gillis have repeated that they are happy playing both goalies as long as Luongo is here. The media has taken the fans for a ride this entire offseason and layoff, and its all in a clearcut effort to create buzz.

Also, Shorthouse gives Luongo zero credit. If you pay attention, he will make any exceptional save Luongo makes seem like its a yawner, while every stop Schnieder makes is followed by a 'Schnieder with the great save!' or something to that effect. Its so obvious that its suprising no one has picked up on it yet.