The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan O'Reilly still in Russia, available soon?

D-Money

From - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/01/30-thoughts-jamie-benn-among-the-unsigned-three.html

Ryan O'Reilly, Colorado Avalanche

The Colorado Avalanche don't talk about this stuff. A request for comment was politely declined. The Denver Post's Adrian Dater reported O'Reilly turned down a five-year, $17-million offer last summer. Colorado pulled that proposal and came up with two years for $7 million, which went nowhere.

Colorado's reputation is the organization can be very tough negotiators. It was among the NHL's highest-paying teams during its glory years, but the last three seasons have seen it among the lowest.

O'Reilly remains in Russia, although he missed a game last weekend with a foot injury. His situation reminds me a lot of Michael Peca's in Buffalo. O'Reilly likely won't ever be a 100-point scorer. He had 55 points last season, more than his first two years combined, but he is a fierce, fierce competitor who can do a lot of critical things for you. He took more defensive-zone faceoffs than any other Avalanche player and faced the toughest competition among the team's centres (credit: behindthenet.ca).

The problem is that leads to major disputes between teams and agents over exactly how to financially quantify those things. Peca, for example, was traded because he and the Buffalo Sabres could not agree.

"He's definitely a No. 2 centre," one GM said of O'Reilly. "And with the proper wingers, he could be a No. 1 guy."

Those guys get paid well, especially if they can score. But again, O'Reilly is four years from unrestricted free agency.

The Avalanche operate in secrecy, so it's hard to predict what they are going to do. When they dealt Chris Stewart, many other teams didn't know he was even available. Barring a major change in philosophy from either side, this one could be heading in that direction.

I wonder if DeNiro wouldn't want this guy because he's still in Russia? Heck, even longer than Kulikov was!!

O'Reilly had a huge improvement offensively last year, and has 4 goals/6 points in 7 KHL games so far this year. Which tells me he could be a 60-65 point center with huge defensive capabilties not unlike Kesler.. not to mention O'Reilly is strong on his feet and hard to knock off the puck.

I agree with D-Money, the Canucks likely don't have the expendable assets for the Avs, I would think they'd be looking for a defenseman or maybe a replacement center (Statsny - Duchene - ______ - Mitchell). If they ARE looking for a defenseman, MAYBE Tanev could be part of the deal, but how much value does he really hold in comparison?

Tanev, _________ + a 1st for O'Reilly?

But, I think a center is more prudent. If you look at the Avs after game 1 they basically only had 2 guys taking draws..RO took more faceoffs in general that any other player on their team last year.

Denver's best bets are probably something like this:

1. Re-sign him. What does he want anyway? 4 million for a 2-way, 55 point center who takes all your draws isn't a ripoff by any stretch.

2. Look for a 3-way trade where 2 centres move and the 3rd team is looking for a defenseman, i.e.

To Florida: Giordano (replacement for Garrison)

To Calgary: O'Reilly (desperate for a young 1st line center.. Tanguay playing there, oldest team in the league)

To Colorado: Weiss, Florida's 3rd round pick, Calgary's 3rd round pick (Weiss is a reliable center, but is older and the picks will be replacement for the age difference)

Not saying that's perfect idea, but something like that..

3. Look for a training partner who has a capable center who has an upcoming contract expiration date and hasn't held any fruitful negotiations.. Berglund & Little have contracts ending soon... but obv. I have no idea how negotations are going.

I love O'Rielly. He is the ULTIMATE defensive C that can put up points. As a 3rd C behind Kesler and H Sedin, he easily has 2nd line skill, can fill in for injuries, and adds PK ability up there with Kesler/Burrows.

He'd allow us to run the sedins/kesler on pp1, and he'd take PP2 with whatever wingers were playing best that night. He'd give us a third line that can score nearly as well as a 2nd line, but have the defensive capability of a true checking line.

This guy would be gold at $4m.

Should also be noted that Ryan is currently playing with his brother Cal on the same KHL team. Cal signed a 2-year contract in the KHL this summer - I am unsure if there is an outclause or not, but he's had success with 18 points/30 games.

Cal's NHL totals are 13 goals, 41 points in 113 games. His most successful year was in 2010-2011 when he 18 points in 38 games with the Preds. He is an elite forward at the AHL level and a former 5th round pick.

Maybe if there is an outclause, a team could snag both of these guys?

I wonder if SJ would be interested in RO'R, they have a surplus of offensive top-6 type centers: Marleau (LW ATM), Thornton, Pavelski and Couture. Handzus is nearly 36 and his contract is nearly over, so they could use a reliable 2-way center soon.

They also have a trading history from the McGinn deal.. and didn't Galiardi and O'Reilly play together a bit during Galiardi's big 39 point season??

LOL

Anyways, would love to trade for O'Reilly.

Don't think we have what it takes to get him though. It would have to be if O'Reilly holds out until Ryan Kesler and David Booth comes back, then we move Schroeder and Raymond (assuming they perform well in Kesler and Booth's absence) for O'Reilly.

Otherwise we have no trading chips of value to get him that we could afford to give up.

Archived