The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan O'Reilly still in Russia, available soon?

D-Money

or Booth+Mallet+2014 2nd

O'Reilly is actually a top 6 player so getting the most out of him would mean playing him in a top 6 role, either him or Kesler on the wing. I have a sinking feeling about booth, injury prone, didnt play much hockey during the lockout-head does not seem to be in the game at times. Also Raymond is looking real good and seems to have a much better shot than booth does.

Hansen looked a bit lost in the first few games, but he was fantastic last night. I think he just needed a few games to get in the swing of things. That can happen.

I really don't know if there's a deal to be had with Vancouver. There are other teams without a Kesler who have a glaring need for a player like O'Reilly, and would throw a ton at the Avs to get him.

or Booth+Mallet+2014 2nd

O'Reilly is actually a top 6 player so getting the most out of him would mean playing him in a top 6 role, either him or Kesler on the wing. I have a sinking feeling about booth, injury prone, didnt play much hockey during the lockout-head does not seem to be in the game at times. Also Raymond is looking real good and seems to have a much better shot than booth does.

For those saying that we could or should get him, you guys are truly wrong. Would it be nice to have him and have 4 awesome centers, Sedin, Kesler, OReilly, Lapierre. YES it would be absolutely awesome! But if he comes here it'll be like a Cody Hodgson situation. O'Reilly is a 2nd line center for sure even 1st on some teams. If he comes to VAN, he will be 3rd line center at best when Kesler returns. I would think he would know that and would not come here because of this.

For those saying that we could or should get him, you guys are truly wrong. Would it be nice to have him and have 4 awesome centers, Sedin, Kesler, OReilly, Lapierre. YES it would be absolutely awesome! But if he comes here it'll be like a Cody Hodgson situation. O'Reilly is a 2nd line center for sure even 1st on some teams. If he comes to VAN, he will be 3rd line center at best when Kesler returns. I would think he would know that and would not come here because of this.

No, that's not fair at all.

Ballard holds nearly no value right now, Malhotra has his strengths, but is not worth his cap hit/role since his injury and is an upcoming UFA anyway, plus he has a NTC. Gaunce is a few years way at the very least and the Avs probably want somebody a bit more proven for RO'R, although Gaunce might be PART of a better deal as, the Avs currently have his brother Cameron in their system.

I don't know why people say Ballard has no value........have people ever considered that maybe MG thinks differently and just doesn't WANT to trade him right now? Ballard sure looks like a top 4 dman this season and not many teams have the kind of defence the Canucks do. He would be a top 4 on almost every other team in the league I bet. Would the Avs want him? Despite the fact that they could really use him, probably not. They don't want to pony up the dough for their top center so they probably wont take on a 4.2 million cap hit to trade him to a division rival.

Who'd Stastny play with at the 2010 Olympics? I know Kane-Kesler-Brown was a line but I forget who Stastny was with Wasn't he the #1 centre?

If they did move him, I'd think they'd move him to the East. Lupul-Stastny-Kessel? Clarke MacArthur (JVR takes over his spot on the Grabovski-Kulemin line), Colborne (University of Denver) & a pick?

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently things have gotten ugly and it's likely that the Avalanche trade O'reilly.

The asking price is reportedly a roster player and a prospect.

So for us it would likely cost Ballard and Gaunce. Ballard because the Avs need D, and Gaunce because he has the potential to be an O'reilly type player in the future; plus they already have his brother in their system.

Archived