The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan O'Reilly still in Russia, available soon?

D-Money

Apparently things have gotten ugly and it's likely that the Avalanche trade O'reilly.

The asking price is reportedly a roster player and a prospect.

So for us it would likely cost Ballard and Gaunce. Ballard because the Avs need D, and Gaunce because he has the potential to be an O'reilly type player in the future; plus they already have his brother in their system.

Apparently things have gotten ugly and it's likely that the Avalanche trade O'reilly.

The asking price is reportedly a roster player and a prospect.

So for us it would likely cost Ballard and Gaunce. Ballard because the Avs need D, and Gaunce because he has the potential to be an O'reilly type player in the future; plus they already have his brother in their system.

You. Don't. Trade. Ballard.

You want Barker, the worst NHL defenseman last year, to be in your starting line-up? Yeah, sorry that's not going to win you anything. Also, if someone's going to say that LA won with only 1 really good defenseman, they play a team defense. They basically have 5 defenseman on the ice during the playoffs, so yeah.

Trading Ballard will pretty much cost us a run to the cup. New NHL isn't about offense, you can't just go in with the best forwards and have sub-par defenders. It's about quick snipes and playing solid defensively.

We could always pick up a D-man at the trade deadline.

O'reilly would likely give us the best third line in the league. Teams also don't win without elite third lines.

Not that I even said I would make this trade. I only said that is what it would likely cost us based on the pieces we would be willing to give up, and what Colorado would likely want.

We could always pick up a D-man at the trade deadline.

O'reilly would likely give us the best third line in the league. Teams also don't win without elite third lines.

Not that I even said I would make this trade. I only said that is what it would likely cost us based on the pieces we would be willing to give up, and what Colorado would likely want.

Hansen looked a bit lost in the first few games, but he was fantastic last night. I think he just needed a few games to get in the swing of things. That can happen.

I really don't know if there's a deal to be had with Vancouver. There are other teams without a Kesler who have a glaring need for a player like O'Reilly, and would throw a ton at the Avs to get him.

The only way I can see Gillis acquiring O'Reilly is via offersheet. And possibly letting O'Reilly know that he has interest in bringing his brother in (a la Sweatt & Westerholm cases) when there's an opportunity.

Bringing in O'Reilly at 5.25 million a year, then moving Raymond + Ballard for cap space. Ballard to Barker/K-Con/Alberts/Vandermeer on the bottom pairing is a drop off, but O'Reilly would help the defensive game quite a bit. And a 4.2 million dollar 5th defenseman is kind of a bad use of cap space in itself.

The problem I see is he'd be making more than Kesler.. would that create some kind of locker room drama? Is 5.25 million too much for a 3rd line center? Would Kesler become the 3rd line center?

Guess I was right...

SOURCES: AVALANCHE EXPLORING TRADING RFA O'REILLY

Restricted free agent forward Ryan O'Reilly might have played his last game with the Colorado Avalanche after failing to agree to a new contract with the team thus far.

Speaking on Insider Trading on Tuesday night, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said that according to sources, the Avalanche have already started trade discussions with Eastern Conference teams.

"One team told me earlier that the expected return is a roster player and a top prospect.," Dreger said.

Dreger and fellow TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie further explored the 22-year-old's future with the club.

McKenzie asked both the Avalanche and O'Reilly's representatives about rumours that the forward asked to be moved, but both sides decided to neither reject nor confirm the reports.

The contract impasse stemmed from the fact that the Avs wanted O'Reilly to take the same deal that Matt Duchene took, a two year deal worth a total of $7 million. The club also offered O'Reilly a five-year deal worth $17 million. The forward and his camp reportedly want to be paid based on how he played last year.

O'Reilly played in 81 games with the Avs in 2011-12, and scored 18 goals and 37 assists.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415885

Guess I was right...

I find it interesting that the article specifically mentions that the Avs are talking with Eastern teams. He's an Ontario boy - perhaps he has said he'd be willing to sign for less if he was closer to home? Maybe he doesn't want to be in Colorado, and because of that has been demanding a higher-than-fair salary to make staying worth it?

There are a number of Eastern teams that desperately need a player like O'Reilly. I'd put the Montreal Canadiens at the top of that list. He'd also really fit in New Jersey - they look fantastic already, but would be even better with another top-6 center (especially with Zubrus now hurt).

Archived