Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] Ryan O'Reilly still in Russia, available soon?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#91 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

for me, hansen has been our least noticeable forward I am just tiered of watching him get chance after chance and him just shooting the puck straight into the goalie's chest or pads.

wut

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#92 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

wut

look at the date that was posted- he had a slow first 5 games with a lot of missed chances. Right now, our least noticeable forward is Higgins which is surprising considering he had a good year last year in the regular season

#93 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hansen looked a bit lost in the first few games, but he was fantastic last night. I think he just needed a few games to get in the swing of things. That can happen.

I really don't know if there's a deal to be had with Vancouver. There are other teams without a Kesler who have a glaring need for a player like O'Reilly, and would throw a ton at the Avs to get him.

agree

#94 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

what do we think it would take to get this guy???

#95 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

I keep saying it, but I think Ottawa SHOULD make this move. Tonnes of Cap space & desirable prospects/young talent. They could be a sleeper-pick to go far, with the right move, or two.

#96 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

what do we think it would take to get this guy???

Manny, Ballard, Barker?

One can dream.. haha maybe throw a 3rd rounder in (possibly Tanev instead of Ballard if they want)

Maybe in the offseason, I like the way our team is playing now though and don't wish to see such a big shakeup with what it would take to land O'Reilly

#97 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I expect CBJ to go after O'Reilly. They have three 1st round draft picks this years.

They could package a 1st rounder plus a player.

Edited by WHL rocks, 13 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#98 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

The only way I can see Gillis acquiring O'Reilly is via offersheet. And possibly letting O'Reilly know that he has interest in bringing his brother in (a la Sweatt & Westerholm cases) when there's an opportunity.

Bringing in O'Reilly at 5.25 million a year, then moving Raymond + Ballard for cap space. Ballard to Barker/K-Con/Alberts/Vandermeer on the bottom pairing is a drop off, but O'Reilly would help the defensive game quite a bit. And a 4.2 million dollar 5th defenseman is kind of a bad use of cap space in itself.

The problem I see is he'd be making more than Kesler.. would that create some kind of locker room drama? Is 5.25 million too much for a 3rd line center? Would Kesler become the 3rd line center?

No way I would do that. Look at all the discounts gillis pulled off and look at the situation the Avs are in. I think if we start disrupting our salary structure we lose that the team comes first mentality amongst players. We could find ourselves in similar situations later down the road.

I don't know what Orielly's issue is but maybe he is a selfish guy? It's just speculation, it could be the complete opposite and the Avs are being dicks, who knows, but that is something gillis will take into huge consideration about his character.

No doubt every GM in the league has made a phone call by now about him including gillis. I just don't see us making even close to the bid that gets him. He's awesome but I want to stay the course were on, drafting and developing our own guys instead of trading 3 guys that have the potential to be as good as RO. I see it as trading the future for a luxury not a necessity.

As for the offersheet, it will get matched unless its 6 million or something stupid like that. Might as well match and trade him for more than the draft picks u get for declining.

To summarize, I really don't think it's smart to steer away from gillis plan and philosophy and overpay for a kid who is holding out on his team in his 2nd contract.

It would be funny if they traded orielly for Subban lol

#99 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Guess I was right...

SOURCES: AVALANCHE EXPLORING TRADING RFA O'REILLY

Restricted free agent forward Ryan O'Reilly might have played his last game with the Colorado Avalanche after failing to agree to a new contract with the team thus far.

Speaking on Insider Trading on Tuesday night, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said that according to sources, the Avalanche have already started trade discussions with Eastern Conference teams.

"One team told me earlier that the expected return is a roster player and a top prospect.," Dreger said.

Dreger and fellow TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie further explored the 22-year-old's future with the club.

McKenzie asked both the Avalanche and O'Reilly's representatives about rumours that the forward asked to be moved, but both sides decided to neither reject nor confirm the reports.

The contract impasse stemmed from the fact that the Avs wanted O'Reilly to take the same deal that Matt Duchene took, a two year deal worth a total of $7 million. The club also offered O'Reilly a five-year deal worth $17 million. The forward and his camp reportedly want to be paid based on how he played last year.

O'Reilly played in 81 games with the Avs in 2011-12, and scored 18 goals and 37 assists.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415885

I find it interesting that the article specifically mentions that the Avs are talking with Eastern teams. He's an Ontario boy - perhaps he has said he'd be willing to sign for less if he was closer to home? Maybe he doesn't want to be in Colorado, and because of that has been demanding a higher-than-fair salary to make staying worth it?

There are a number of Eastern teams that desperately need a player like O'Reilly. I'd put the Montreal Canadiens at the top of that list. He'd also really fit in New Jersey - they look fantastic already, but would be even better with another top-6 center (especially with Zubrus now hurt).
Posted Image

#100 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Guess I was right...

I find it interesting that the article specifically mentions that the Avs are talking with Eastern teams. He's an Ontario boy - perhaps he has said he'd be willing to sign for less if he was closer to home? Maybe he doesn't want to be in Colorado, and because of that has been demanding a higher-than-fair salary to make staying worth it?

There are a number of Eastern teams that desperately need a player like O'Reilly. I'd put the Montreal Canadiens at the top of that list. He'd also really fit in New Jersey - they look fantastic already, but would be even better with another top-6 center (especially with Zubrus now hurt).

Eastern teams probably has a lot to do with Colorado moreso than RO'R. I mean, they don't want him checking Duchene too often. Considering that every team is probably at least somewhat interested, it makes more sense to send him far away (esp. short term as there are no outta conference games this year).

I think of Toronto though. Like you said, he's an Ontario guy. In the lockout he played on the same team as Niko Kulemin. Toronto obviously could use a top-6 center (who couldn't?).

Bozak could be 'a roster player', plus his name was rumoured 4000 times in a Luongo deal. Plus, Gardiner? Or one of their many other young players.

I think RO'R is seriously underrated in this thread, but his holding out probably has hurt his value. For me, it is hard to gauge exactly his worth..

Something like Bozak, Colborne/Biggs + a pick maybe?

O'Reilly, Kadri and Grabovski would give Toronto actually pretty solid depth down the middle..

& w/ a lot of depth players on expiring contracts, Nonis could also offer a promise to sign Cal O'Reilly in the next KHL off-season as well, if RO'R wants to play with his brother (which is probable considering he did during the lockout).

#101 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

/\
It's possible. Colorado still needs a 2-way center like O'Reilly, but cheaper - I think Bozak could fill that role. Then they probably need another young D-man to build around, so Gardiner fits.

And value-wise, IMO, a package of Bozak and Gardiner is pretty equal value to O'Reilly.
Posted Image

#102 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

/\
It's possible. Colorado still needs a 2-way center like O'Reilly, but cheaper - I think Bozak could fill that role. Then they probably need another young D-man to build around, so Gardiner fits.

And value-wise, IMO, a package of Bozak and Gardiner is pretty equal value to O'Reilly.

The only problem with this comment is that I don't think people are actually allowed to agree in this forum. So ya.

#103 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

The Avalanche has to be the dumbest organization in the league.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#104 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Not even close.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#105 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Not even close.

Posted Image

#106 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

45]

Follow

Posted Imageadater@adater

Wouldn't be at all surprised if ROR isn't traded til summer or beyond. Especially with Avs season practically blown up already

#107 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Posted Image

But sadly, NYI has become one of the smarter organizations in recent memory.

Need a potential top 6 forward? Claim off waivers!

Want to trap a goalie to play for your team? Claim him off waivers! If he refuses, suspend him and make him play for your team for one year!

Can't reach cap floor? Trade for contract that puts them over floor without costing them a penny. Draft pick is almost guaranteed not to be paid out due to Thomas not playing this year.

Edited by Dazzle, 14 February 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#108 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

For not wanting to sign a guy demanding more than his teammates, for only 1 good season?

The Avalanche have actually made some shrewd moves - they just seem to continually be plagued with injuries.
Posted Image

#109 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I gotta say, with Manny gone for good, and Kesler having trouble handling his responsibilities at center, O'Reilly fits our team needs like a glove. Left handed, strong at faceoffs, shut-down abilities, etc. And at this point, there's pretty much no way that Colorado will be able to bring him back into the locker room.

Colorado is missing their gritty scoring wingers - Landeskog and Downie. They seem to be targetting players of that style. Would they be interested in Booth?

To Colorado: David Booth, Brendan Guance (brother Cameron already with Avs org)
To Vancouver: rights to Ryan O'Reilly

Then put O'Reilly at 2nd center, and move Kesler to the wing. Throw Higgins on the left side, and make that our very scary shutdown line. We'd have two excellent faceoff guys - one of each hand. Whereas Colorado fills an immediate need, and gets a prospect with a very similar skillset to what O'Reilly has (just needs another year or two of development), who will be much cheaper for them going forward..

O'Reilly's contract will likely be around Booth's or less, so that's a wash at worst. If it's lower, it helps us going forward into next year with the lower cap.
Posted Image

#110 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

O'Reilly's contract will likely be around Booth's or less, so that's a wash at worst. If it's lower, it helps us going forward into next year with the lower cap.

errr... except for the part where we lost Gaunce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.