The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lupe Fiasco kicked off stage at Obama pre-Inaugural concert

key2thecup

Rapper has set cut short at inaugural event following anti-Obama rant

Here’s what happens in America under Obama when a musician exercises their First Amendment rights; they get surrounded by men in black suits and kicked off the stage.

Grammy-nominated rapper Lupe Fiasco was performing at a pre-inauguration concert Sunday night in Washington DC, when his set was cut mid-way through following the use of negative lyrics directed toward the president.

Performing his single ‘Words I Never Said’, the Chicago artist launched into the following verse, shortly before being surrounded by security guards:

“I really think the war on terror is a bunch of bulls*** Just a poor excuse for you to use up all your bullets. How much money does it take to really make a full clip? 9/11, Building 7, did they really pull it?”

“…Rush Limbaugh is a racist, Glenn Beck is a racist, Gaza Strip was getting bombed, Obama didn’t say s**t. That’s why I ain’t vote for him, next one either, I’m a part of the problem, my problem is I’m peaceful and I believe in the people.”

When the rapper extended and continued to play the anti-war themed song, the microphones were cut and the lights shut off. Then security personnel jumped on the stage and asked Fiasco to leave.

The event organisers denied that the political nature of the performance was the reason for the intervention, stating “We are staunch supporters of free speech, and free political speech. This was not about his opinions. Instead, after a bizarrely repetitive, jarring performance that left the crowd vocally dissatisfied, organizers decided to move on to the next act.”

However, those in attendance at the StartUp RockOn concert were in no doubt as to why Fiasco had been shown the exit.

“Lupe Fiasco just got thrown off stage here at the Hamilton Live after he went on an anti-Obama diatribe mid set.” tweetedJosh Rogin, a reporter with Foreign Policy magazine.

“So Lupe played one anti-war song for 30 min and said he didn’t vote for Obama,” Rogin added, ”and eventually was told to move on to the next song…Lupe refused to move to the next song so a team of security guards came on stage and told him to go.”

Other attendees concurred: “Things going terribly wrong at @lupefiasco performance during#SURO. Kicked off stage, bashing obama…” tweeted Matt Dornic, a CNN Worldwide PR director.

“#SURO slammed by @lupefiasco’s nonstop, anti-obama rap. Corporate sponsors scurrying.” Dornic added.

Fiasco, whose father was a prominent member of the Black Panther Party, was a known risky booking for the event organisers, given his past criticisms directed toward Obama.

Last year the rapper hit headlines with an anti-drone tirade, openly calling the president a child murderer:

“You have someone who is a great speaker, but kills little children – our President,” he said during an interview with Philadelphia radio station Power 99FM. “I’m talking about ordering a drone attack. Ordering drone attacks that go and kill mothers, innocent bystanders, children. Militants too, but the collateral damage. You’re responsible for that, too.”

In a CBS interviewin 2011, Fiasco also called the president a terrorist. “My fight against terrorism, to me, the biggest terrorist is Obama and the United States of America. I’m trying to fight the terrorism that’s actually causing the other forms of terrorism.” he told reporters.

“You know, the root cause of terrorism is the stuff the U.S. government allows to happen. The foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists.” he added at the time.

http://www.infowars....nti-obama-rant/

He rapped the same verse for 30 minutes, was asked to change songs, refused, and was promptly kicked out. Anyone singing any lyric would've been kicked out too in that situation. 'Alright, this sucks. Goodbye.'

Half an hour is extremely long for a singer to sing the same bloody verse, btw. What i don't get is why, as a rapper, he couldn't at least drop some freestyle anti-Obama rhymes during that half-hour? Not bored enough with himself? Or maybe the computer doing the rapping for him broke. Either way, Booooo!

Oh but i'm sure Lupe's concern for Gaza strip is legit and heartfelt. 'He gives a crap, but he ain't found it on no map?'

Grammy-nominated... I remember when that actually meant something. Actually, no i don't.

Why is it so disappointing that he wasn't kicked? Because of his views? Or because of a subjectively poor performance? Or is it because he refused to misrepresent himself? And to allude he's a drug user (as if it would indicate anything in itself, presumably a low level of intelligence)? I wonder where that came from.

The whole fault lies with those who booked him. His music and views promote anti establishment, you don't expect someone to feign respect for power they see as corrupt and terrorist. Someone who considers Obama a terrorist should not be expected to promote Obama, no matter the circumstances.

This has nothing to do with free speech at any cost, and everything to do with right artist for the right audience.

Why is it so disappointing that he wasn't kicked? Because of his views? Or because of a subjectively poor performance? Or is it because he refused to misrepresent himself? And to allude he's a drug user (as if it would indicate anything in itself, presumably a low level of intelligence)? I wonder where that came from.

The whole fault lies with those who booked him. His music and views promote anti establishment, you don't expect someone to feign respect for power they see as corrupt and terrorist. Someone who considers Obama a terrorist should not be expected to promote Obama, no matter the circumstances.

This has nothing to do with free speech at any cost, and everything to do with right artist for the right audience.

Archived