The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins - How long?

Lemieux

I think this is a very good point and should be talked about. The Canucks are not going to win a Cup with the Sedins at the helm. They put up numbers during the reg season but disappear into the ether come playoffs when it really matters. Champions step up in big games under pressure...the Sedins shut down. Opposing teams toy with them. Now's the time to trade them too while they still have some value.

We need some big, skilled Canadian bodies in those positions.

While I do agree that they haven't scored at their regular pace to end the season last year and to begin this season (only two games), don't forget that the Canucks have only had one strong scoring line since the Sedins dominated points wise.

Kesler has suffered several injuries and his performance suffered due to them. Raymond had a poor year coming back from a severe back injury. And Booth never produced as hoped. You could argue that Booth played well and got his chances, but no one can claim that he put up the goal and point totals that Canucks fans hoped for.

This makes it easy for other teams to focus defensively on the Sedin line leading to a drop in totals. Furthermore, Kesler wasn't the dominant presence in front of the net on the pp that he was before his injuries.

The Sedins should have a couple more dominant seasons left in them before they are considered 2nd line forwards rather than receiving 1st line minutes.

The Sedins will never be traded so don't even consider that. They will retire Canucks or, I hate to even think about it, sign somewhere else as free agents.

Their game is not based on speed or physicality which are the two leading means in early retirement either due to age or injury. They are finesse, efficiency based players. Those types seem to last forever in the league. It is not hard to shut down the Sedins come playoffs because teams know that we truly only have one line capable of winning a series. There is still a piece missing from the top 6.

Personally i hope that Kassian can keep up the high level of play he has shown through 2 games allowing Burrows to play with Kesler and Booth. Kesler and Burrows are fantastic together and that says a lot as Kesler is not good with many people.

Sedins are not going anywhere. They have spent their career here and deserve to retire here. This isnt NHL video games where you trade off whatever you want, whenever you want. There are politics and morality involved. You trade the Sedins and no star will want to play here as they see it as a sign that the GM doesnt care about the biggest names on a team.

OMG the topics on this board are really inane lately. Swedes retire early? Do some research. There are so many Swedish players that continue to play into their late 30's.

Geez, even Sami (38) is still playing and look at the injuries he's had. Swedes are notoriously physically fit and the Sedins are just that. When they retire, I suspect it will be because they lack the enhusiasm, not the physical ability.

I also think that the dip in their numbers last year was due to the SCF hangover. I fully expect their numbers to improve this year. Better than a pt per game season.

Archived