The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Everybody Loves Raymond (except Jim)...Merged

Bite me Burr

Amazing how Raymond is so soft, yet he is the only 2nd liner who survived the offseason. He's been playing with an anchor at center, and has put forth a solid showing in the first 2 games this year.

There was an article last year showing the majority of Raymond shots and chances were from between the dots and not the perimeter.

Bottom line, NOBODY in the bottom 6 is better at his job. Higgins LOL, Hansen meh, Weise maybe someday.

From the start of the playoffs last year until now, the list of Canucks that have been better than him, is very very short.

Amazing how Raymond is so soft, yet he is the only 2nd liner who survived the offseason. He's been playing with an anchor at center, and has put forth a solid showing in the first 2 games this year.

There was an article last year showing the majority of Raymond shots and chances were from between the dots and not the perimeter.

Bottom line, NOBODY in the bottom 6 is better at his job. Higgins LOL, Hansen meh, Weise maybe someday.

From the start of the playoffs last year until now, the list of Canucks that have been better than him, is very very short.

Raymond's ice time is pretty much wasted time right now.

He's a decent penalty killer and has great wheels but that sounds a lot like some other dudes that play that role far more effectively.  Hansen, Lapierre and Higgins are much better checkers than Raymond. He isn't a physical player and he doesn't have the size to be one.

For Raymond to be an asset to the team he has to score.  To score a player has to have a wicked shot or have great hands or have great hockey sense or be willing to stand in front of the net or be super determined or know how to get open or.or.or.  Sadly, Raymond is not exhibiting any of the required characteristics.

Instead we have a sprint to offensive zone, a hard turn  back up the boards, some back checking, a spin move in the shootout and the fall down move.  No shots. No passes. Not in position for a feed. No hitting.  No driving to the net.

I really thought he had huge potential but I don't see his value anymore.  He doesn't fit and I can see no scenario where he is re-signed for next year.  The Canucks need big, physical, fast players, not small, light, perimeter players.

Also another sniper. Or awesome intimidator.  I'll take either...

Mason Raymond is an excellent penalty killer, and adds a lot with the proper line-mates. Raymond, Kesler, and Hansen together would make an excellent shut-down line. The only reason people complain at CDC is that he doesn't create alot offensively when he carries the puck into the zone himself. Quite simply, he isn't a solid play-maker.

I think the issue is that he doesn't use his speed to his advantage offensively; because he stays in proper position most of the time. I don't consider him a defensive liability at all. Sure, if he wanted to cheat and play like Grabner or Afinogenov, he'd get his 25 goals the crybabies want here, but I'd rather have a responsible winger. He s a good complimentary player. You find a center that makes players around him better, and Raymond will get a lot "better".

Funny that you mentioned Grabner. A player who plays on a crappier team, a regular on the PK, used in defensive situations and able to put up 30+ goals.... you're saying that Mason Raymond is better than him? lol

Raymond doesn't fit as a top-6 on a contender. So what if he's able to backcheck? The Canucks are putting him in a position to provide offense, not defense. It's not like he's a top checker like Hansen or Burrows either. Being able to check doesn't mean you're excellent at it... and Raymond isn't anywhere close to be excellent.

To jog some memory....

Never liked Raymond. The only thing he's ever done that impressed me is his spin o rama shootout move. Other than that he is totally useless. I cant believe they keep giving him chance after chance. He should have been cut a long time ago. I agree he is softm brings no grit to the table, and doesnt make up for it with offense either. He's a waste of a roster spot.

We're two games into the season so I think assessing players is a bit premature at this point. Yes, we have a declining body of work from Mason Raymond but i do think he deserves this year given last year was about recovery from the back injury. The contract he was given was the "short Leash" he has been given to prove he still belongs. Despite backing Raymond a bit in the past this is a year for him to put up or hit the road.

Jim Lahey, people won't attack you in your posts if you are somewhat reasonable. You have your opinion and won't consider what anyone else has to say. It's your way or the highway. The fact is that people that assess the team and make the hockey decisions (that are far more experienced than you) believe that he contributes. They have given him a strong message that he needs to show improvement this year.

For those who are calling Mason Raymond soft just like to say that he stood up for Ben Eager a few times during the game vs the Oilers. And Ben Eager is pretty tough IMO so if your messing around with him than you can Say Mason Raymond is pretty damn tough especially since he broke his back. They exchanged several hits, mixed it up with each other and he was getting active...sure its not putting up the points but at least he is trying to be useful

This sounds like your typical CDC scapegoat hate thread with no compromise and just going to ignore any good qualities because hate is so much easier. Raymond has not looked any worse than any other players so far in the TWO games that we have played. He has not had any blatant giveaways which is something I can't say for most of the team. Man some of the giveaways in the slot by our players have been horrendous so far.

I am not a fan of Raymond but I do not blindly hate either and he has not even been remotely close to the problems of the team so far. He has been playing defensively sound and had been rushing up ice with the puck more so than anyone else on that second line. He is probably one of the better players at gaining the zone so far this year.

How long must we suffer watching Raymond "hustle" around the perimeter doing nothing? He brings nothing to the game outside of a token PK role.

What is the point of dressing this guy anymore? Waive him, trade him... anything. There are no positives to his game that make the team better for having him.

I have had enough of this guy.

Archived