565 replies to this topic

#121 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Raymond is one of our better players at present in a start where we have looked in need of games.

We are seeing nearly all of our players play below expectation but we are only two games into the season. Our pp is dire and most of our D hasn't really turned up to work yet.

The player performing best imo is coincidentally the player who played abroad. Dale Weise.

Higgins, Burrows and Hansen have turned into the invisible men. Ebbett just doesn't have what he had last year ( I was an advocate of Ebbett over JS) so I am pleased to see JS get this chance and I hope it's for more than a couple of games.

I know it must hurt all you Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis fans out there to see them perform in such a mediocre way and I understand how you are forced to deflect that disappointment and manifest it in more Mason Raymond "hate" but lets face it he is playing better than any of them.

Instead of writing more and more of this garbage I would ask you to look at your own weakness of character which seems to constantly need a victim to appease your disappointment in your own real life failings and immaturity.
Kevin.jpg

#122 hookstreet

hookstreet

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

i think it's just a matter of putting the right player with the guy... he had a hatty when jordan was up during pre-season. that is pre-season though. it's worth a try and besides, we need to let the younger players grow or make way of more cody deals in the future...

#123 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

i think it's just a matter of putting the right player with the guy... he had a hatty when jordan was up during pre-season. that is pre-season though. it's worth a try and besides, we need to let the younger players grow or make way of more cody deals in the future...

I think you are right.

I think he looks fit and is skating well, even looking for the odd physical check but let's face it, it's hard to perform when the team is not clicking.

I saw an improvement in the performance against the Oilers but that may have been down to the Ducks being more physical.

I am hoping that JS is now given a run with Raymond and Weise/Burrows. (I don't see the point of having Weise practice with MayRay and JS if that is not the line that will play together...........we've no time for that kind of messing about.

Time will tell, however, as I said on another thread AV must now try and settle his lines down and stop changing about. We need to get into a system and formations that we can allow to settle and gain confidence.
Kevin.jpg

#124 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

MayRay has been poo for YEARS, this is nothing new and has nothing to do with the last 2 games.

He's a finisher, sans finish.

#125 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Raymond is one of our better players at present in a start where we have looked in need of games.

We are seeing nearly all of our players play below expectation but we are only two games into the season. Our pp is dire and most of our D hasn't really turned up to work yet.

The player performing best imo is coincidentally the player who played abroad. Dale Weise.

Higgins, Burrows and Hansen have turned into the invisible men. Ebbett just doesn't have what he had last year ( I was an advocate of Ebbett over JS) so I am pleased to see JS get this chance and I hope it's for more than a couple of games.

I know it must hurt all you Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis fans out there to see them perform in such a mediocre way and I understand how you are forced to deflect that disappointment and manifest it in more Mason Raymond "hate" but lets face it he is playing better than any of them.

Instead of writing more and more of this garbage I would ask you to look at your own weakness of character which seems to constantly need a victim to appease your disappointment in your own real life failings and immaturity.

Totally agree. For once he is actually one of the better players on the ice and yet a thread like this still pops up somehow which seems to suggest that no matter how he plays he will be the scapegoat. I agree he hasn't been good the last few years but to start a thread like this now when he is not the problem with the team seems like people here will complain about him no matter what.

#126 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Oh, the guy who was coming off a major back injury last year and then broke his hand? Sounds pretty darn soft to me. Raymond is a quality NHL player.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#127 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

MayRay has been poo for YEARS, this is nothing new and has nothing to do with the last 2 games.

He's a finisher, sans finish.

YEARS?

Have you looked at his stats? He hasn't been in the league for 20 years, this is the start of his 6th season. In his 3rd season he put up over 50 points, not bad for a 2nd / 3rd liner. Last season after returning from a broken back he put up 20 points in 55 games, still more points than Lapierre (82 games) and Malhotra (78 games)
Posted Image

#128 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

To quote an ol' fave "He checks the way my wife cleans house, hes afraid to go into the corners."

Yeah, you would too if you had your back broken in a corner.
Posted Image

#129 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm not trying to be a Raymond hater here but let's get serious. He's been on the team full-time for 5 years and has had only 1 truly good season, and that was when a bunch of our guys had career years(09/10).
For a guy that gets plenty of 2nd line minutes, powerplay time, rarely gets benched, and once in a while gets a chance with the Sedins, he simply doesn't provide enough. If he's as talented as so many people seem to think and with the opportunities he's given, he should be putting 50+ points on the board every year, not just in 2010.
Honestly I think his 25 goal year was an anomaly and not to be expected again. If Raymond's not scoring goals he then doesn't fit on the 2nd line and his use to the team is minimal. Where is he a good fit?

Raymond doesn't get PP time anymore. AV took him off after the 09-10 season.

Oh, definitely an anomaly. The 10-11 year only involved 2 broken hands and a center who suddenly refused to pass, so that wouldn't affect Raymond's goal total. Oh, and that broken back? Nah, that doesn't mean anything, that wouldn't hamper your ability to move in any way either.

Riviera, your contribution to CDC is minimal too - you just hate on players that the media likes to discuss in a negative manner. Where are YOU a good fit? You seem to like big, tough players and solid goaltending, hey, the Bruins might be the team for you!

Edited by LordofBrussels, 23 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#130 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Oh, definitely an anomaly. The 10-11 year only involved 2 broken hands and a center who suddenly refused to pass, so that wouldn't affect Raymond's goal total. Oh, and that broken back? Nah, that doesn't mean anything, that wouldn't hamper your ability to move in any way either.

Riviera, your contribution to CDC is minimal too - you just hate on players that the media likes to discuss in a negative manner. Where are YOU a good fit? You seem to like big, tough players and solid goaltending, hey, the Bruins might be the team for you!

What does Macy Ray... bring to the team that offsets his timid nature? Speed? Sure, but thats replaceable. Falling down and skating around bent over and preparing to do a spin along the boards? Bahhh...

Sell me on what great things his does for the team and how he makes his teammates better as surely am a depressed hater and you might be able to help me as well as the majority in this thread!

Edited by Jim Lahey, 23 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#131 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

It's a bird!, it's a plane! ...nope, it's Dr. Phil :rolleyes:

Fact:

Raymond fell down. ON HIS FIRST SHIFT

The toddler stomping around above me has better balance.

PS. 7G and 9A in 51 playoff games with the Canucks. Those are not 2nd line numbers on a legitimate contending team. Not. even. close.

Edited by darkpoet, 23 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#132 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

If Raymond's back is hampering his ability to move, he shouldn't be playing. Give that roster spot to somebody who is fully healthy.

I don't think Raymond's back is his problem. He's still got his speed and he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't at full health.

Edited by Bang Bang Boogie, 23 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#133 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

7G and 9A in 51 playoff games with the Canucks.

but he was hurt...? or was it that it was DH, KB, or Lu's fault, I forget?!

Great stat that says who he is and when...
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#134 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

time to trade him please

#135 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

but he was hurt...? or was it that it was DH, KB, or Lu's fault, I forget?!

Great stat that says who he is and when...

Believe me. I wish it told a different story.

When the Nux held camp in Penticton I got to watch these guys up close and personal and was scratching my head watching MayRay out there.
He looked like the best puck handler on the team, and one of the best skaters (I also remember thinking holy crap, Ballard skates like Paul Coffee)

Just goes to show you, being put in a game situation changes everything.

He's a likable kid with some solid talent. On this team on the 2nd line though, he just does not provide what we need. He could be an attractive player for a lot of other teams though. I hope Gillis is exploring that.

It's not about "love" or "hate" it's about what this team needs to win a cup, vs. what it has now.

MayRay is simply a player who is not suited or good enough (yet) to play 2nd line minutes on this team. He definitely is not 1st line material and he isn't suited to what we need from the bottom 6.

Why people can't see this I don't have any idea. :wacko:

To me, he's in the same boat as Grabner. But for some reason gets all the chances in the world to prove he's Wayne Gretzky. It baffles me.

#136 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Same here. I hope he goes to the Flames or even the Oilers, for his sake.
Hate, hate and more hate, hater.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#137 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Raymond isn't 'young' he should be entering his prime around now, but he still sucks. He's a glorified PK'er. He can't shoot for crap, he hasn't been good since before or after his injury, and he's been gifted a spot on the second line and hasn't earned or deserved it. I have no idea why people defend him, he does absolutely nothing to earn playing on the second line, and he really doesn't do anything at all.

You can blame Kesler for not passing at all, but all Raymond does is try to take it around the boards, then either fall down, or get rubbed off the puck. He also likes to shoot it directly at the chest of the goalie. I'm more of a believer Kesler became a hog because it was better than passing it to Raymond.

#138 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

What does Macy Ray... bring to the team that offsets his timid nature? Speed? Sure, but thats replaceable. Falling down and skating around bent over and preparing to do a spin along the boards? Bahhh...

Sell me on what great things his does for the team and how he makes his teammates better as surely am a depressed hater and you might be able to help me as well as the majority in this thread!

Jim, you need a hobby son. I seem to remember you saying all these things last year...........or was it the year before. As I probably said then, there is nothing any of us can do to influence team selection. If moaning about MR did it you would have had him dropped ages ago.

Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you are not much of a judge of what makes a good hockey player.

"Raymond fell down. ON HIS FIRST SHIFT"

And he wasn't the only one in the team........or the league to do it. Who cares! It's what you do when you're upright that counts and Raymond did a hell of a lot more than some of them in the team.

"On this team on the 2nd line though, he just does not provide what we need. He could be an attractive player for a lot of other teams though. I hope Gillis is exploring that."

There are a whole lot of players who that could be said about in this team so far this season............and also in the playoffs. Have you ever thought that his line mates who are obviously your favourites may not be up to playing with him, now that he is fit?

"I'm more of a believer Kesler became a hog because it was better than passing it to Raymond."

It might help if you got your facts right. Kesler, in his best seasons DID pass to Raymond and Raymond passed to him. They were part of a very effective partnership with Sammy. Why not go and look at some of their goals. Since then they have both had injuries and Booth arrived.

Edited by Bodee, 23 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#139 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Why do you keep asking me what he is doing well when I told you exactly that already? Twice?

"Falling down and skating around bent over and preparing to do a spin along the boards? Bahhh..."

Remember when I said you deny everything he does and whines about things he doesn't do anymore? ... Do you have a notepad file full of these things that you just ctrl-c and ctrl-v?

Offsets his timid nature? What are we talking about right now, a dog?

There is no way you will be convinced that Raymond is not a liability in any way, and that so far he has made improvements on his game, aspects of his game that he didn't fix last year.

I'll name them again. Avoiding the perimeter, shooting when it is a viable option, passing into the middle, and most importantly of all, not leaving his linemates out to dry by using his speed to play 2-way hockey instead of pulling a Grabner.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#140 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Oh, the guy who was coming off a major back injury last year and then broke his hand? Sounds pretty darn soft to me. Raymond is a quality NHL player.

People like to use the back injury as an excuse but people forget he was terrible in the year leading up to the back injury.

People also like to forget that when Raymond came back from said back injury he was quite stellar for a few games then regressed back to his useless way.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#141 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

They could package him with Luongo in a trade.

#142 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I say we give him 3 years to work things out..he may come around.

#143 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

People like to use the back injury as an excuse but people forget he was terrible in the year leading up to the back injury.

People also like to forget that when Raymond came back from said back injury he was quite stellar for a few games then regressed back to his useless way.

And are you a medical man?

Are you aware that it wasn't just the injury it was the missed pre season and core strengthening?

It is quite possible he got off to a good start before these things caught up with him. I don't know that, I'm no doctor either but seeing as he plays for my team and showed plenty of courage coming back as soon as he felt fit, I like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

You on the other hand ......................

By the way I am almost sure the last time Jim raised this "addiction" he has, a lady whos husband suffered a similar injury came on here and said it took him 2 YEARS to get back to feeling his old self.

Edited by Bodee, 23 January 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#144 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Jim, you need a hobby son. I seem to remember you saying all these things last year...........or was it the year before. As I probably said then, there is nothing any of us can do to influence team selection. If moaning about MR did it you would have had him dropped ages ago.

Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you are not much of a judge of what makes a good hockey player.

"Raymond fell down. ON HIS FIRST SHIFT"

And he wasn't the only one in the team........or the league to do it. Who cares! It's what you do when you're upright that counts and Raymond did a hell of a lot more than some of them in the team.

"On this team on the 2nd line though, he just does not provide what we need. He could be an attractive player for a lot of other teams though. I hope Gillis is exploring that."

There are a whole lot of players who that could be said about in this team so far this season............and also in the playoffs. Have you ever thought that his line mates who are obviously your favourites may not be up to playing with him, now that he is fit?

"I'm more of a believer Kesler became a hog because it was better than passing it to Raymond."

It might help if you got your facts right. Kesler, in his best seasons DID pass to Raymond and Raymond passed to him. They were part of a very effective partnership with Sammy. Why not go and look at some of their goals. Since then they have both had injuries and Booth arrived.

Learn how to properly address people.

You're quoting 2 different people there (myself and Lahey) and making it seem as if all those quotes are from one person.

Although him and I seem to agree, it's poor form to do that.

Anyway, I'm neither a "supporter" or the "antagonist" in the case of Mason Raymond. If anything, it's yourself who seems to be biased in favour of him being a better player than he really is.

Again. I'm not sure why people choose to ignore FACTS.

He had one good year. That's it. Other than that he has not shown anything to warrant an opinon that he is somehow "gonna come around"

Please also reference his playoff production, which is poor for a 2nd line winger on a team this good.

As for his penchant for falling down. That has nothing to do with "this season" or it "being early". His ass has an ice magnet on it and it's ALWAYS been that way.
It's been the butt (pun intended) of jokes around here for years.... because it's true.

#145 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Guess what? It doesn't matter what anyone says/thinks on here or any other forum, haha
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#146 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hey....when Raymond broke his back, how many games did the Boston player get? Oh right....NOTHING.

I know somebody more useless than Raymond.....NHL Officials.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#147 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

It is quite possible he got off to a good start before these things caught up with him. I don't know that, I'm no doctor either but seeing as he plays for my team and showed plenty of courage coming back as soon as he felt fit, I like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

What about his performance before he broke his back? He looked the same then as he did when he came back after his injury.

The year he came back from his injury he was on pace for around the same amount of points as the year before.

So in other words the back injury hasn't hindered his point production.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 23 January 2013 - 07:29 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#148 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hahah Raymond just scored, you clown
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#149 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

He can't shoot at all. What a bum. Totally worthless.

#150 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

He can't shoot at all. What a bum. Totally worthless.

Um yeah, go to bed.Useless troll is obvious. Do you even watch the Canucks? oh yeah, you[re too poor to afford cable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.