The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Everybody Loves Raymond (except Jim)...Merged

Bite me Burr

Raymond's ice time is pretty much wasted time right now.

He's a decent penalty killer and has great wheels but that sounds a lot like some other dudes that play that role far more effectively. Hansen, Lapierre and Higgins are much better checkers than Raymond. He isn't a physical player and he doesn't have the size to be one.

For Raymond to be an asset to the team he has to score. To score a player has to have a wicked shot or have great hands or have great hockey sense or be willing to stand in front of the net or be super determined or know how to get open or.or.or. Sadly, Raymond is not exhibiting any of the required characteristics.

Instead we have a sprint to offensive zone, a hard turn back up the boards, some back checking, a spin move in the shootout and the fall down move. No shots. No passes. Not in position for a feed. No hitting. No driving to the net.

I really thought he had huge potential but I don't see his value anymore. He doesn't fit and I can see no scenario where he is re-signed for next year. The Canucks need big, physical, fast players, not small, light, perimeter players.

Also another sniper. Or awesome intimidator. I'll take either...

To the Raymond haters: Which player on the Wolves do you have in mind to replace Mason? Oh, nobody? Right.

So who on the Nucks roster are you willing to trade for this big, aggressive, second line goal scorer (who can also play defense)? Oh, nobody? Right.

Why not be patient and wait for the injured 2nd line players to come back? Raymond will probably play a whole lot better when he has NHL team mates. Otherwise, he will be playing on the 3/4 line.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Good to see there are those who "hate" Raymond as well.

Us "haters" are stressed out angry people who are too quick to jump on poor, misunderstood Raymond when its only been a few games into THIS season and have obviously not seen him play the other 400 or so past games where he was definately not utlerly useless. It should also be noted that he was better before he broke his back and giving him this season to prove himself as an impact player, like he used to be before the injury, is something the team really needs to consider because we all know Raymond brings a real sense of balance to the team with his style.

Flowers and rainbows to all! Happy, happy day!

Good to see there are those who "hate" Raymond as well.

Us "haters" are stressed out angry people who are too quick to jump on poor, misunderstood Raymond when its only been a few games into THIS season and have obviously not seen him play the other 400 or so past games where he was definately not utlerly useless. It should also be noted that he was better before he broke his back and giving him this season to prove himself as an impact player, like he used to be before the injury, is something the team really needs to consider because we all know Raymond brings a real sense of balance to the team with his style.

Flowers and rainbows to all! Happy, happy day!

I cannot believe AV and MG have such a short memory. Raymond was dumped into the 4th line at the end of the King's series because of his no show. He then had his salary cut in the simmer when he should be traded. Raymond did nothing in between to deserve a spot on the 2nd line. If AV and MG still want to keep this guy, he should play on the 4th line where his speed and skill set would make him a decent 4th line guy, and he can help in the PK with his speed. On the 2nd line, time and time again Raymond is proven absolutely useless. Hansen or Higgins should replace this soft, perimeter player Raymond on the 2nd line.

May Ray has been junk for along time now. When he did score 25 back in 09-10. He scored 20 in the first 50 games and scored 5 in his last 30 or so. He's been playing perimeter hockey for almost 3 years now. Every game played there is a bet on how many times Mason hits the deck on his arse. You would think after getting a pay cut, he would respond shift after shift to prove his worth. Maybe I am being to hard on him? Maybe not hard enough? When is it ok to stop feeling sorry for the guy? In my books, he's got 8 games left to show me he has what it takes.

C'mon Mason prove me wrong.

For those who are calling Mason Raymond soft just like to say that he stood up for Ben Eager a few times during the game vs the Oilers. And Ben Eager is pretty tough IMO so if your messing around with him than you can Say Mason Raymond is pretty damn tough especially since he broke his back. They exchanged several hits, mixed it up with each other and he was getting active...sure its not putting up the points but at least he is trying to be useful

Are you implying Raymond's back is still bothering him and he's not 100%? If so, he shouldn't be taking a roster spot from somebody who is 100% healthy and ready to contribute.

Raymond just simply does not fit on this team. He does not have the physicality to play bottom six and we have much better checkers playing in our bottom six. He does not have the sniping or playmaking skills to fit our team once everybody is healthy. However, I do think we don't have much better options right now for our top six.

It's time for Raymond to go. I was disappointed he was re-signed to another contract with the Canucks.

Archived