565 replies to this topic

#211 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,139 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I'm noticing that Raymond seems a lot stronger on his legs, his stability has improved from what I saw last year. I like the sudden stops and starts and him being more explosive; not falling down all the time.

Also, he's keeping his head up and while he's a bit slow to make the right decision with the puck, I think he'll get back to being the player he was 2 years ago.

Of note, during his break-out season, Raymond had one of the best corsi ratings in the NHL. Last year, one of the worst.

Anyway, all this to say is that Raymond can be an very effective player, and I don't understand all the hate by some of the "fans" on this site.

-Jagori

P.S.

It bothers me the negativity by some on these boards. I remember the constant trashing Rypien got all the time on these boards. Oh, he is useless, etc. etc. Doesn't belong in the line-up, etc. etc. These players dedicate their lives to entertain us, and sacrifice alot. We all know they get paid well, but when you are under a microscope and give up a "regular" life for hockey, there has to be quite a toll mentally.

Raymond's falling imo was a direct result of him attempting to do what he normally does - ie turn on a dime, but not having the strength or feel to do so - it's nice to see him return to form. I can just imagine how hard he worked to get to where he is today.

His relative corsi was great in his breakout year, but it wasn't actually that bad last year - his relative corsi was only -0.1.

#212 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

in the first four games this year higgins has looked more like calgary higgins than vancouver higgins.

I agree Higgins looks lost right now. He is one of my favourite players...I hope he gets his act together...As long as he plays well in the playoffs!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#213 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I actually think his skating still blows, and his decision-making is still a little off. The difference right now is that he has finish, I remember him not being able to finish off plays so many times last year.

He scores two goals, blows by people and backs off the defence, makes great dekes and passes, goes to the net, backchecks very well, is one of the best skaters in the league, and you still find fault. Pick a different day, because today you sound like an idiot.

#214 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

ill show u another video that is actually the main difference i see between Booth and Raymond.. when Raymond does this on a regular basis I will consider booth expendable.

#215 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I believe the biggest concern of Management this season is Booth vs. Raymond vs Higgins. We only need to keep 1 or two of them after this season as Jensen will probably suit up next season. Higgins will most likely sign at a discount for job security but the real competition will be booth vs Raymond for 2LW position.

That absolutely is not a concern for management - the more assets you have, the better. A concern for management would be little or no competition for the top six spots.

#216 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Really happy to see Raymond playing so well to start the season. That hit from the Boston series really knocked him back but now we're starting to see him get back to where he was. After all that he's been through, he deserves it.

#217 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

He has been very good so far, much better than most expected. Hopefully it continues, because we could definitely use some extra offense with Booth and Kesler out.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#218 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

He was a beast tonight

Posted Image

#219 SamiSalo

SamiSalo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I, for one, want to hear more about his corsi.

Nice game Raymond! Keep it going....

#220 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yep utterly useless, only scored 2 goals tonight.

Posted Image

#221 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

His skating blows?! He is easily the Canucks best skater...and when he fully healthy, one of the fastest in the league. He would have at least 4 assists so far if people would finish his passes.

Last year when playing with Kesler and Booth, it was always the same thing. Each of them would move into the zone and try to do it all themselves, no passing, no chemistry, they were terrible. Raymond has his strength back, is fully healthy and prepared fitness wise for the first time in 2 seasons, and his confidence is back.

You can see how hard he has worked. His core strength, skating, his shot is ridiculous, even his passing has been very good.

He scores two goals, blows by people and backs off the defence, makes great dekes and passes, goes to the net, backchecks very well, is one of the best skaters in the league, and you still find fault. Pick a different day, because today you sound like an idiot.

Christ's sake people calm down wow LOL.

Raymond's doing well, and yes his skating is excellent...

When he's not falling.

#222 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

He skated great tonight.

He, Hansen, and Schroeder looked lightning fast...

I wish there would have been a race between Cogliano, Raymond, Hansen, and Schroeder before the game, wouldve been awesome
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#223 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Massy is one of the best skater in canucks history .

He is gonna rock this year !
Forever Canuck !

#224 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Beautiful puck movement tonight. Good gritty goal and nice snipe. He's back to form. He stays.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#225 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

How long must we suffer watching Raymond "hustle" around the perimeter doing nothing? He brings nothing to the game outside of a token PK role.

What is the point of dressing this guy anymore? Waive him, trade him... anything. There are no positives to his game that make the team better for having him.

I have had enough of this guy.

You and every guy that plussed you now looks like an idiot. That shytt-pie looks really good on you and your buddies.

#226 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

UFA year, not surprised MayRay doing well, most NHL players play better in contract years.

#227 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

This is starting to look just as good as the Clutch thread a few years ago.

#228 niklas

niklas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Lp

#229 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Him and JS make a good combo, that bat in was sick, and so was Schroeders sauce for his 2nd goal.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#230 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Why is everybody focused on getting rid of either Booth or Raymond? For fracks sake, secondary offense is exactly what we need. Raymond looks to be getting back to his old self and Booth (coming off a bad injury) really didn't play badly at all for us and put up respectable numbers. We need both of these guys in the lineup.

#231 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

So you think that not spending all summer in a full torso cast might've helped his off-season training?
Posted Image

#232 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Easy gang, 21 has been a disappointment for longer than a 3 goal streak will erase. its nice to see but i want to see him play well for 15 games before we annoint him pavel 2.0

as much as the op is off, so are the fan boys.

good game all aroumd tonight.
I Love Lamp...

#233 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

This is starting to look just as good as the Clutch thread a few years ago.

lol, watch as MayRay scores at a 20+ goal pace for the next 4 years.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#234 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

How long must we suffer watching Raymond "hustle" around the perimeter doing nothing? He brings nothing to the game outside of a token PK role.

What is the point of dressing this guy anymore? Waive him, trade him... anything. There are no positives to his game that make the team better for having him.

I have had enough of this guy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3DS FC: 2664 3135 8148. Feel free to add me!

#235 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

So is OP new Clutch?
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#236 Orca

Orca

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Good game for Raymond. But that last goal that went under Hiller's armpit... c'mon guys we all know he was aiming for the logo.
Aww Crap.

#237 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

shouldn't this thread be locked!!!

One does not simply lock a " do we really need _____" thread.

#238 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

ill show u another video that is actually the main difference i see between Booth and Raymond.. when Raymond does this on a regular basis I will consider booth expendable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HkSjCAJM7s

That was a great goal but what does that prove. Lol, Booth does not do that on a regular basis, so is that supposed to be some kind of comparison to Raymond?

Are you actually trying to convince anyone on here that Booth is some kind of physical force Hilarious.
He had all of 82 hits last season which would be about 108 for 82 games which would put him in about 14th on the team or so for hits over 82 games.

He would also be 2nd on the team in giveaways for forwards (after Henrik), doesnt play a lick of defence, or kill penalties. but yeah every once in a while he will have a nice individual effort.

You will never see Booth do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agsouFgHMU

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 25 January 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#239 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

He skated great tonight.

He, Hansen, and Schroeder looked lightning fast...

I wish there would have been a race between Cogliano, Raymond, Hansen, and Schroeder before the game, wouldve been awesome

Throw Ballard in there too. He has great wheels as well.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#240 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Booth has yet to show the full extent of his abilities. For now Raymond looks to be the better player, let's wait till the end of the season before we decide whom to keep shall we?

EDIT: On a side note: the Raymond from 2 seasons ago really was a gifted player! It's nice to see him start to come back to himself, we could definitely use the scoring punch. :P

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 25 January 2013 - 11:48 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.