The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Talks Luongo- Vancouver Sun article

bigpush

http://www.vancouver...1324/story.html

I always like to hear what Gillis has to say and didn't see it in the forum yet.

Highlights

“Roberto has a no-trade, so in discussions prior to the lockout, he had a say in where he was prepared to go. Once the lockout starts, you’re not permitted to even talk about player transactions, subject to huge fines and loss of draft picks. Then the lockout ends and suddenly, you’re trying to make a decision in four or five days about a premier player in this league, and it’s tough to make a trade of this magnitude in eight months, let alone four days. So we have him here, and we’re happy having him here.

“The way I see it, if you’re constantly knocking on the door, sooner or later the puck doesn’t hit the post but goes in. Your guy doesn’t get hurt but someone on the opposition does.”

“You trade away picks when you’re trying to win a Stanley Cup, not just make the playoffs. You give up young assets to try to get to the next level. Would we do it again? Certain things for sure. Other things, in hindsight, probably not.

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

Luckily,Luo is playing Gillis' game and so far,making him look like a donkey.

Baby, there's an enormous crowd of people

And they're all after my blood

I wish maybe they'd tear down the walls of this theater

And let me out...let me out

Oh, I've been so blind, yeah

I've wasted time, wasted, wasted oh so much time

Walking on the wire, high wire, yeah

But I must let the show go on

Leo Sayer-The show must go on

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Obviously Maybe Florida waiting for Theodore to waive his NTC so we can get a player nobody expects?

Luckily,Luo is playing Gillis' game and so far,making him look like a donkey.

Baby, there's an enormous crowd of people

And they're all after my blood

I wish maybe they'd tear down the walls of this theater

And let me out...let me out

Oh, I've been so blind, yeah

I've wasted time, wasted, wasted oh so much time

Walking on the wire, high wire, yeah

But I must let the show go on

Leo Sayer-The show must go on

Obviously Florida waiting for Theodore to waive his NTC so we can get a player nobody expects apparently..

Archived