The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Talks Luongo- Vancouver Sun article

bigpush

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Obviously Maybe Florida waiting for Theodore to waive his NTC so we can get a player nobody expects?

If it is Philly, a C has to be coming back. They have an excess of them, and well - Ebbett hasn't worked so well and Schroeder doesn't have any NHL experience. Gillis has to want a C- practically every rumor out there has Gillis wanting a C. My guess is Couturier. It's obv not Giroux, he won't want Briere or Talbot, I don't think Holmgren deals Schenn after he just traded for his bro. Gotta be Couturier. Trust me, I know how that sounds - but I def have that feeling.

I mean Luongo carried way too much hype with him from the moment he arrived in Vancouver and it hurt him. The hype is bad. I wasn't making a comment on abilities (other than the inherent self-confidence both Quick and Thomas have and that Luongo lacks), just that both Quick and Thomas did not have the burden of hype (so it seemed). They were not their team's focus and just did their job, at the most important times. They became the focus at the moment it appeared they proved their value, which is healthy :)

People here focus too much on having the best goalie in the league. You don't need or want that and you can't predict it. Get yourself a solid, blue-collar workhorse who just does his job and focus on more important things like glaring missing pieces like big power forwards and more grinders.

Quick, Thomas were not Luongo-level hype machines when they won their Cups. They were confident goaltenders who stepped up when it mattered. Get guys with that kind of character and you will have success.

Actually in the years that Thomas and Quick won the cup they were both the BEST goaltenders in the league or at LEAST top 3. The last 2 stanley cup champs won because of world class goaltending. Also why on earth would we get more grinders when we can't even score goals, we need more SNIPERS who step up in the playoffs, not some big slow grinders.

We have plenty of snipers; scoring 5th and first in the league the last two years. We've only lost Erhoff and Samuelsson; debatably we have replaced their scoring (prob not passing) prowess?

Our "snipers get bogged down in physical match ups they cant compete in is the primary cause. Missing a secondary play maker another possible reason why our scoring has dried up in the play-off's. Not a lack of "snipers."

I reckon a Dustin Brown bigger grinding winger or the puck control and passing of a Kovalev would create just enough room to get those extra shots for our snipers? They're not going to be available; who will be?

Now, those two names wont be available; who else creates this

Actually in the years that Thomas and Quick won the cup they were both the BEST goaltenders in the league or at LEAST top 3. The last 2 stanley cup champs won because of world class goaltending. Also why on earth would we get more grinders when we can't even score goals, we need more SNIPERS who step up in the playoffs, not some big slow grinders.

Archived