The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Talks Luongo- Vancouver Sun article

bigpush

You know, it makes some sense on a few different levels. Holland isn't afraid of those contracts AT ALL, nor is he afraid of older goaltenders (Hasek & Cujo). The Babcock Olympics connection.

But omfg can you imagine the speed and checking ability of Helm & Hansen playing on the same line? Helm's $2.125m would fit in perfectly with our salary structure as well but I can't see Detroit parting with him, tbh.

You know, it makes some sense on a few different levels. Holland isn't afraid of those contracts AT ALL, nor is he afraid of older goaltenders (Hasek & Cujo). The Babcock Olympics connection.

But omfg can you imagine the speed and checking ability of Helm & Hansen playing on the same line? Helm's $2.125m would fit in perfectly with our salary structure as well but I can't see Detroit parting with him, tbh.

People here focus too much on having the best goalie in the league. You don't need or want that and you can't predict it. Get yourself a solid, blue-collar workhorse who just does his job and focus on more important things like glaring missing pieces like big power forwards and more grinders.

Quick, Thomas were not Luongo-level hype machines when they won their Cups. They were confident goaltenders who stepped up when it mattered. Get guys with that kind of character and you will have success.

The Leafs and Florida would be the teams Gillis is referring to with the "...it's not who anybody thinks it is".

So if the rumoured interest from Philly was true, might mean that MG has to wait until the offseason when Holmgren will buy out Bryz.

The "not who everyone thinks" doesn't have to mean a team that people aren't talking about. It could be a trade with Toronto/Florida/etc. involving a player/prospect that people haven't been talking about much.

I still think Tampa is interested. Stamkos is healthy and rolling. St. Louis and Lecavalier aren't getting any younger. I don't think they load up with free agent veterans like Carle and Salo, just to make their last line of defense a 24 year-old with 40 games experience, average stats, and Adult On-set Stills Disease... ...oh yeah, and Garon.

Of course, Yzerman downplays his interest in Lu and publicly touts his faith in Lindback, but it simply doesn't add up.

I don't think Gillis would say something like this unless there was a potential deal.

He's inviting the media to hound him for weeks now after saying this. He seems like the type of GM that likes to keep his deals low key, so this is kind of strange.

Maybe there is an actual offer, but it's not one he would accept. However he's still using it as leverage against other teams. Who knows?

If what he's saying is true than it's probably an Eastern team that has a goaltending question mark and isn't Toronto or Florida since they have been talked about a fair bit. So that leaves:

Phily (take Bryz)

NYI (take Dipietro)

Tampa (take Vinny)

Washington (take ?)

Archived