Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Gillis Talks Luongo- Vancouver Sun article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

#121 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Yip we have Kassian and Booth. Booth is big (also fast); but not really what you call a grinding winger. Kassian has yet to earn a rating, but the Edmonton game was very encouraging...

But what I was really referring to was a (right) winger capable of pushing Burrows back on to the second line. Look, on some teams Burrow's is a first liner. Including here, sort of.

If he could be the speedster,grinder, checker and worker bee for, say, Henrik and Iginla you have the making of one of the best NHL lines. It's not that Iginla is better than Danny (hear me out). Its that Iginla is a physical force to be reckoned with for his line on top of being a scorer and decent passer. Burrows also does those things, but with heart not size.The Twins, with Burrows get buried by size at some point almost every play off year. But of course we know if we got Iginla, Burrows relegates to the 2knd line...

The reality is we already have a great grinder in Burrows; we just need one who is as good but 20 pounds heavier. And as yet Kassian or Booth has not knocked him off. So a big nasty winger IS on our wish list!

Its physical match up's that are stiffling our otherwise good scorers, not a shortage of goal scoring.

I think Booth can be a grinding winger with his combination of size, speed and the ability to throw huge hits. He just needs to put in work along the boards, but yeah he wouldn't be classified as one. Kass is looking really good right now with the twins, but then again he also looked good in 3 games last year. if he can play this way on a more consistent basis we have our big grinding winger.

As for physical match-ups stifling our scorers, i don't know whether to agree with that or not. They seem to play fine against other big physical teams like SJ, but against Boston they were completely shut down. Last year when they played LA the only line that was able to provide any offense was the twins/Burr, which is why i think that more scoring depth/ a playmaking winger for Kes is more important. It would make the 2nd line more dangerous and take some pressure off the twins.

#122 Roflcawptur

Roflcawptur

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I doubt it would be Holtby and Carlson but could see Neuvirth and Johansson + maybe a pick or prospect but I definitly agree Was popped in my head when I read that as well.

Yeah, I doubt it too. Probably get Ovechkin. :bigblush: I can dream can't I?

:canucks: Proud Canuck from Kansas City :canucks:

Bieksa.png

#123 canadaguy_25

canadaguy_25

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

I know this is thinking way outside the box, and very highly unlikely, but is it possible he's talking about a trade involving Cory? The quote he gives:

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait"

He never specifically mentions Luo, and maybe that's what he's refering to by the player that no one thinks. I don't think they'd be shopping Cory, but if an amazing offer came Gillis' way for Schneids, I'd say it's a possibility...

#124 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I know this is thinking way outside the box, and very highly unlikely, but is it possible he's talking about a trade involving Cory? The quote he gives:

We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have and its not who anybody thinks it is and so we have to wait"

He never specifically mentions Luo, and maybe that's what he's refering to by the player that no one thinks. I don't think they'd be shopping Cory, but if an amazing offer came Gillis' way for Schneids, I'd say it's a possibility...

The whole story was about trading Lou, do you believe what your saying?

#125 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,376 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait"

[enlarges profile pic, confirms suspicion]

Sorry dude, your jersey will soon be obsolete.

I know your pain - I have a Luongo one too. But got my brother-in-law to pick up a Hamhuis jersey while they were on sale.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#126 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Media... bleh...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#127 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Lecavalier?

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#128 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Lecavalier?

. Unlikely. I still think NJ as brodeur may hang them up after this season. Yes, i know he has another year. Cant see luongo going to nyi. Washington has two young goalies. ...western conf teams harder to gauge.

#129 Unpredictables

Unpredictables

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think Washington Caps is in the mix for Luongo.. Seeing they are 0-3 this season, I think Holtby and Neuvirth can't retain the #1 job.

#130 dhawk11

dhawk11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Too many seperate luongo topics, can't they all be combined into one thread?

Anyways I love Luuuuu, great canucks goalie.

#131 dhawk11

dhawk11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I think Washington Caps is in the mix for Luongo.. Seeing they are 0-3 this season, I think Holtby and Neuvirth can't retain the #1 job.

If washington is the deal, who would we get back????

Edited by dhawk11, 25 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.