39 replies to this topic

#1 riske1

riske1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Interesting fact about the Canucks. Care to guess how many players that the Canucks have drafted in the past 7 years are playing on this current team? Zero; thats right none. The only 2 players in the NHL that the Canucks have drafted during that 7 year span are Hodgson and Grabner who are long gone. When you have an opportunity to draft almost 50 players and not one is on the current roster it`s quite a eye opener to the incompetence within this organizations drafting team.

With an aging team that has a small window to win the cup there appears to be a bleak future. Some will say we have done better lately, however none of our so called top end prospects have yet to play a game at this level and there is every chance they might not ever make it to the NHL. The only hope IMHO is that MG or whoever is the GM in two years starts selling assets for picks and prospects.

It could be a painful transition from a contender to a rebuilding team.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

#2 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Interesting fact about the Canucks. Care to guess how many players that the Canucks have drafted in the past 7 years are playing on this current team? Zero; thats right none. The only 2 players in the NHL that the Canucks have drafted during that 7 year span are Hodgson and Grabner who are long gone. When you have an opportunity to draft almost 50 players and not one is on the current roster it`s quite a eye opener to the incompetence within this organizations drafting team.

With an aging team that has a small window to win the cup there appears to be a bleak future. Some will say we have done better lately, however none of our so called top end prospects have yet to play a game at this level and there is every chance they might not ever make it to the NHL. The only hope IMHO is that MG or whoever is the GM in two years starts selling assets for picks and prospects.

lol. Not everyone has a crystal ball, you cant just know if someone will be good or not
Posted Image

#3 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

We aren't rebuilding, so that's not a big deal. We still have prospects who will become solid nhlers in the future.

#4 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

go cheer for a new team.......clearly you are not a fan :picard:

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#5 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

If its since 2012 draft in 2005 Raymond was drafted 2nd round.
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#6 MarchandSucks

MarchandSucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I agree. Its no lie our drafting has been poor since 06. But before that we got Bourdon (R.I.P) Raymond, Schneider, Edler, Hansen, Kesler Bieksa and the Twins between 99-05
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Mode 2015-2016
Toews 90 Stamkos 92 Kucherov 88
Mantha 83 Henrik 90 Lecavalier 85
Glencross 80 Thompson 74 Ranford 76
Richard 64 Lindholm 61 Connolly 74
Barberio 85 Jones 84
Morrow 75 Spurgeon 85
Methot 78 Streit 84
MIller 86
Hellberg 70

#7 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I guess we don't really need an AHL team.

Age is just a number. You make it out to be our players are all over the age of 40 and have had hip replacements.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

View PostGumballthechewy, on 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#8 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

We have the luxury of being a premier team in the league with a **** load of money. We don't need to draft them, we just wait until they are unhappy in their poor clubs who can't offer them enough money and scoop em up :)
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#9 cabinessence

cabinessence

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

what?
Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Lol I love how you choose 7.

That take us to 05, which conviently cuts out 04 & 03 which we solid years for us. (Schneider, Edler, Kesler, Hansen)

Oh and BTW you are wrong, Raymond was drafted in 05 and is on our team, and Schroeder will be called up tommorow so that's 2. And I count Tanev in that aswell, since he was draft eligable in 07 and was signed and developed by the organization, that's 3. And you could even count Kassian, since we traded a young roster player for another young roster player in him which would bring us to 4.

Edit: Also, what is the point of this anyways? We are still a highly successful team that has been able to pad our roster with signings and good trades. We are still successful, so what is the problem?

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 21 January 2013 - 09:02 PM.

zackass.png

#11 Dral

Dral

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

MG sucks at drafting. Why don't we have Eberle? Or Yakupov ?

#12 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

MG sucks at drafting. Why don't we have Eberle? Or Yakupov ?

Or Kopitar. He would have brought us the cup.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

View PostGumballthechewy, on 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#13 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

That take us to 05, which conviently cuts out 04 & 03 which we solid years for us. (Schneider, Edler, Kesler, Hansen)

Oh and BTW you are wrong, Raymond was drafted in 05 and is on our team, and Schroeder will be called up tommorow so that's 2. And I count Tanev in that aswell, since he was draft eligable in 07 and was signed and developed by the organization, that's 3. And you could even count Kassian, since we traded a young roster player for another young roster player in him which would bring us to 4.

Edit: Also, what is the point of this anyways? We are still a highly successful team that has been able to pad our roster with signings and good trades. We are still successful, so what is the problem?

Is this legit?? If so I'm so thankful.......

Where's the source ?

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#14 riske1

riske1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Oh and BTW you are wrong, Raymond was drafted in 05 and is on our team, and Schroeder will be called up tommorow so that's 2.

OK Sparky; I did not see Schroeder on the roster when I created the topic so you are wrong or can`t read. I might have missed on Raymond, however who actually cares. I guess that you think there is nothing wrong with the drafting record over the past 7 years? If thats your opinion, fine.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

#15 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

With Kesler and Booth Out for now, wouldnt be a good time to start giving our young players a chance to play in some roles.

Like Kassian to the first line for a while(instead of 2 shifts every couple of games)
Schreoder on the 2nd or 3rd so he can actaully get prepared to play reguralry
and even put couple of other prospects in for a couple of games.

We should be doing what the Flyers have done. Look how many rookies they had playing for them last year and there giving Scott Laughton a Chance right now as well.

This is the perfect opportunity to put our prospects in regular season games with the injuries to booth and kesler.

And maybe we wouldnt be trading our draft players away.
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#16 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I don't understand why MG isn't getting us number 1 picks in the draft!? We should hire someone who knows how to lose so we get more #1 picks I'm tired of this winning business...

This is how I assume your brain works riske1.

Derp...
Sig too big.

#17 ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Where's the source ?

I think he is guessing due to vandermeer being sent down....

Our drafting hasn't been great... But there is a certain amount of luck in drafting... not an excuse though... Canuck fans do complain a lot... Maybe all fans do...

#18 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Where's the source ?

Obviously I'm jumping the gun, but I don't see why we would have placed Vandermeer on waivers.

Look at all the pieces, Vandermeer on waivers, Ebbett playing terrible, Kesler and Booth are still hurt, MG said he would be playing meaningful games very soon, AV said he played very well and hinted that he was sent down due to cap complications, Schroeder isn't on the Wolves roster & hasn't suited up for a game, (I don't even think he is with the team myself) It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put the pieces together & see what will likely be happening.

I don't see why we would put Vandy on waivers for no reason, I expect JS to be up here soon, most likely tommorow so he is ready for Wednesday.

Hopefully I am right, Ebbett just hasn't worked.

OK Sparky; I did not see Schroeder on the roster when I created the topic so you are wrong or can`t read. I might have missed on Raymond, however who actually cares. I guess that you think there is nothing wrong with the drafting record over the past 7 years? If thats your opinion, fine.

That part up there is for you too, not just UMB.

And obviously every team has picks looking back in hindsight that you can nit pick, but I think in the 1st round each year since MG got here we have taken the BPA to us, Hodgson was rated 9th we got him at 10, Schroeder was rated at 15, we got him at 22, Jensen was an oddball in that he could have gone anywhere from 15-25 and as we can see seems like a steal, then Gaunce fell and we got him too.

The disaster has been the 2nd round, aside from that when you consider that we have drafted pretty much 25-30 every year, I think we have done a good job drafting int he 1st round then in the late rounds we have got some great picks aswell, then free agent signing we have done a spectacular job, which counts as developing players just as much as drafting cause we trade picks knowing we will fill those with UFA signings, so yeah under the circumstances I think we have done a good job for the most part.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 21 January 2013 - 09:25 PM.

zackass.png

#19 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Not every player has to come via drafting...

Even still, here are the current Canucks developed within the organization.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Alex Edler
Alex Burrows
Ryan Kesler
Jannik Hansen
Mason Raymond
Aaron Volpatti
Kevin Bieksa
Cory Schneider
Chris Tanev

Basically the core of the team. The best forwards, two great defensemen, and our #1 Goaltender. Seems pretty solid.
7 of these guys were drafted by the team, the other three were genius signings.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#20 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

When I saw the title I thought Great! another cry baby draft thread.

Then I read it......

I never Realized it was 7 years.

I don't see how one can really make an excuse for that.

I don't care how good you are and how bad your picks are.

It makes me sick
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#21 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

lol. Not everyone has a crystal ball, you cant just know if someone will be good or not

so not the point
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#22 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I don't understand why MG isn't getting us number 1 picks in the draft!? We should hire someone who knows how to lose so we get more #1 picks I'm tired of this winning business...

This is how I assume your brain works riske1.

Derp...

wow, another one?
look forward to the future, when the point will finally make sense to you
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#23 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well, considering that the most likely candidates for being in the NHL would have been guys drafted by the previous administration, then I guess we have to blame Burke and Nonis as they were the guys in the head office at that time. Other than Hodgson, the other picks by Gillis are still in development as should be expected for younger players who were drafted in the bottom third of the 1st round.

Good job! :)

regards,
G.

PS - I guess the "7" years ago was because you could get both Hodgson and Grabner in your sample. I guess we should also add White to the list of 1st rounders traded away, or can we? He isn't in the NHL but he was moved to get Ehrhoff, so is it still a bad move or does it morph into a good move and should therefore be ignored for purposes of you trying to make your point?

Just curious.

Edited by Gollumpus, 21 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#24 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

OMG WE MISSED KOPITARZZZ, AND DATSYUK AND ZETTERBURG

we chose the best available picks moron, they just didn't pan out

Posted Image

#25 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

The one year that really stands out for me was the year they drafted Patrick White... From about pick number 20 on all the commentators were talking about David Perron still being available and then they go sideways into left field to draft White!!

#26 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

go cheer for a new team.......clearly you are not a fan :picard:

Please do tell how he is clearly not a fan?
Criticizing the awful drafting makes him "not a fan?" It is a cause for concern. Lay off the homer glasses, everythings not perfect, rainbows and sunshine for the Canucks.

It's been much too long.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#27 Dral

Dral

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

aside from that when you consider that we have drafted pretty much 25-30 every year, I think we have done a good job drafting int he 1st round then in the late rounds we have got some great picks aswell, then free agent signing we have done a spectacular job, which counts as developing players just as much as drafting cause we trade picks knowing we will fill those with UFA signings, so yeah under the circumstances I think we have done a good job for the most part.

Hrum... so what are we supposed to do with all these pitchforks and torches then? If you don't stop making sense, we'll have to come after you :P

#28 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

The one year that really stands out for me was the year they drafted Patrick White... From about pick number 20 on all the commentators were talking about David Perron still being available and then they go sideways into left field to draft White!!

Haha, I remember this: they were talking about who we might draft and going on "maybe they'll draft this guy" and then they call out Patrick White and they go "or they go with Patrick White...."

#29 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hrum... so what are we supposed to do with all these pitchforks and torches then? If you don't stop making sense, we'll have to come after you :P

:lol: Yeah I guess I saved my skin a bit there.

zackass.png

#30 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

The OP has a point. It may not be a concern at the moment because the team is good but we better hope the likes of Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce become above average NHL'ers or else there will be a period of suckage when the current team reaches its best before date.

The reason why Detroit has been a contender for the last 15 years or so is because they draft so well. When their stars regress or retire, they've got a new core that is all ready to take over and lead the team (Yzerman/Federov to Datsyuk/Zetterberg). The Canucks should be competitive for a few more seasons so there is time to develop that next wave but they've got to make sure they get much more mileage out of their draft than they've been getting, which is like none since 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.