The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Building through the draft?

riske1

Interesting fact about the Canucks. Care to guess how many players that the Canucks have drafted in the past 7 years are playing on this current team? Zero; thats right none. The only 2 players in the NHL that the Canucks have drafted during that 7 year span are Hodgson and Grabner who are long gone. When you have an opportunity to draft almost 50 players and not one is on the current roster it`s quite a eye opener to the incompetence within this organizations drafting team.

With an aging team that has a small window to win the cup there appears to be a bleak future. Some will say we have done better lately, however none of our so called top end prospects have yet to play a game at this level and there is every chance they might not ever make it to the NHL. The only hope IMHO is that MG or whoever is the GM in two years starts selling assets for picks and prospects.

It could be a painful transition from a contender to a rebuilding team.

Interesting fact about the Canucks. Care to guess how many players that the Canucks have drafted in the past 7 years are playing on this current team? Zero; thats right none. The only 2 players in the NHL that the Canucks have drafted during that 7 year span are Hodgson and Grabner who are long gone. When you have an opportunity to draft almost 50 players and not one is on the current roster it`s quite a eye opener to the incompetence within this organizations drafting team.

With an aging team that has a small window to win the cup there appears to be a bleak future. Some will say we have done better lately, however none of our so called top end prospects have yet to play a game at this level and there is every chance they might not ever make it to the NHL. The only hope IMHO is that MG or whoever is the GM in two years starts selling assets for picks and prospects.

Lol I love how you choose 7.

That take us to 05, which conviently cuts out 04 & 03 which we solid years for us. (Schneider, Edler, Kesler, Hansen)

Oh and BTW you are wrong, Raymond was drafted in 05 and is on our team, and Schroeder will be called up tommorow so that's 2. And I count Tanev in that aswell, since he was draft eligable in 07 and was signed and developed by the organization, that's 3. And you could even count Kassian, since we traded a young roster player for another young roster player in him which would bring us to 4.

Edit: Also, what is the point of this anyways? We are still a highly successful team that has been able to pad our roster with signings and good trades. We are still successful, so what is the problem?

Lol I love how you choose 7.

That take us to 05, which conviently cuts out 04 & 03 which we solid years for us. (Schneider, Edler, Kesler, Hansen)

Oh and BTW you are wrong, Raymond was drafted in 05 and is on our team, and Schroeder will be called up tommorow so that's 2.

With Kesler and Booth Out for now, wouldnt be a good time to start giving our young players a chance to play in some roles.

Like Kassian to the first line for a while(instead of 2 shifts every couple of games)

Schreoder on the 2nd or 3rd so he can actaully get prepared to play reguralry

and even put couple of other prospects in for a couple of games.

We should be doing what the Flyers have done. Look how many rookies they had playing for them last year and there giving Scott Laughton a Chance right now as well.

This is the perfect opportunity to put our prospects in regular season games with the injuries to booth and kesler.

And maybe we wouldnt be trading our draft players away.

Not every player has to come via drafting...

Even still, here are the current Canucks developed within the organization.

Daniel Sedin

Henrik Sedin

Alex Edler

Alex Burrows

Ryan Kesler

Jannik Hansen

Mason Raymond

Aaron Volpatti

Kevin Bieksa

Cory Schneider

Chris Tanev

Basically the core of the team. The best forwards, two great defensemen, and our #1 Goaltender. Seems pretty solid.

7 of these guys were drafted by the team, the other three were genius signings.

When I saw the title I thought Great! another cry baby draft thread.

Then I read it......

I never Realized it was 7 years.

I don't see how one can really make an excuse for that.

I don't care how good you are and how bad your picks are.

It makes me sick

Archived