The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do we assess this weekends results? (Trolls need not read)

Derp...

For everyone who is freaking out over what happened this weekend, please just TAKE A DEEP BREATH and relax! We live in BC and there is a lot of a particular plant substance that can help you chill the F*** out!

It's as if almost everyone is a 13 year old boy seeing his first naked girl, wondering what to do, what is she doing, what the heck is happening, oh my god oh my god and there goes your chance at getting laid for the first time... Or winning a Stanley Cup in this case.

Don't freak out over this team because your assuming way too much! These are PROFESSIONALS they aren't worried about the season beyond their next game. They KNOW HOW TO WIN in the regular season and they will FIND A WAY. Don't throw it all away on a whim of a bad start.

. True Fan's are supposed to RALLY BEHIND THERE TEAM. When I sat in Rogers Arena on Saturday it was dead quiet at times and when your team and your city needs you most the MAJORITY TURN THEIR BACKS and say call me when there winning...

I'm not making excuses for the mistakes we made so far, I'm simply saying ENCOURAGE YOUR TEAM show them SUPPORT WHEN THEY NEED IT MOST. We can turn this city into a real fan base instead of band-wagoners and help instead of hinder, cause rumors and always say what if.

We don't know exactly what to do, but i know if we get out there and CHEER THE CANUCKS ON especially in TIMES OF NEED, it isn't going to hurt, and we might just have a better team and a better city for it.

Schroeder is coming...

I agree with Yappy, and the "Schroeder is coming" part really drew me into your post.

I wouldn't worry too much, I think we are just rusty, we shook off alot of the rust against Edmonton so this next game will be the one that really determines where we are IMO, and I think we are just fine, we just need to focus, stay in the moment and not have knee jerk reactions, I expect Schneider to bounce back and to have an all out effort and to build off some of the good things that happened in our last game against EDM.

I'm not to worried.

Problem is, the Canucks are so boooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnggggg. I've been a die hard fan for years and I still find it boring at times. The Canucks lack that excitement and fast paced hockey. We need some younger, more enthusiastic players that energize the crowd. Every time Malkin or Stamkos rush the puck up the ice with sick dangles, that is bound to make the crowd go nuts. Who can do that here? Sure the Sedins are world class players, but they don't have the same exciting skill set The Crosby's and Giroux's have.

Only player we have close to that is Kesler...

I sure hope it's just rust, and that Schroeder can play in the NHL soon...

Problem is, on Sunday the Oilers were the ones coming in waves. Sure, it's not like Vancouver had ZERO chances and it may make sense to defend the lead, but when partway through the 3rd the team flips the puck in on Dubnyk almost just to kill time instead of going for the go-ahead goal, that tells me that at least on that night they didn't dare to attack (their passes WERE pretty sloppy too), nor was the game really in their hands but in those of the Oilers.

Maybe they were only slower on that night because they played on Saturday (hopefully). However, if it's because they can't keep up that may signal the team's decline or weak offensive ability (I get it, Kes and Booth are out but until then the team will have to make do and they'll be in some deep trouble if they can't win games without them).

How do we assess this weekends results? Hopefully not too seriously.

On the one hand we could go full metal panic mode:

- PP is DOA

- We're trading the better goalie (and his gold medal doesn't stay here)

- Booth and Kesler won't be back on the ice for a life-age and we're not even talking about the season or two it'll take them to get back into top form.

- Raymond!

- Opening weekend was a bust and now we'll never make the playoffs

- Sedins on the verge or retiring (A lucrative post-hockey career in horse racing tempts them away)

- Santa Fe is looking for a NHL team and Betman (Betman!) has his feisty rat eyes on Vancouver...

- Abandon all hope ye who cheer for the Canucks.

Or,

I've walked through the valley of the shadow of death,

83-94, Neely trade, Linden traded away, Messier, Mike Keenan, Bertuzzi's sucker punch, the dragon before it was slayed...

I fear no evil.

I'll start to panic when Mark Messier comes back to Vancouver as GM and trades Juice, Kes and the bronze statue of Roger Neilson for the next hot thing outa Calgary.

I have been and will be assessing the first few weeks of games as if they were pre-season games. Scores are not particularly important. More important is seeing who's playing well and whether the team is gelling and getting onto the same page. So for me, seeing a strong game from Kassian against Edmonton and a good cohesive effort overall is more important than that the shootout didn't go our way. This season is going to be an outlier and major decisions should definitely not be made on the basis of anything that happens between now and the playoffs.

Archived